new here

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2007 | 02:34 AM

new here

Already made my first mistake on the forum.....I posted this under the Alero-section ...

In a few weeks I will get my new ride : a Cutlass from 1977.
It's in rather good shape but will need a new paint job next year.
I've never driven Oldsmobile before so I'm curious....all hints and tips are welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
21926728_4-oldsmobile.jpg (82.6 KB, 12 views)
Old April 25th, 2007 | 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site! Hey, just sit in the seat and enjoy the ride! Most American cars in built in the 70's were fairly long wheel base and had fairly soft suspension. You might notice that it feels sort of soft and "wallowy" is that a word? Anyway, I am making generalizations here but there is a diffferent feel from most European cars and especially newere ones. But there is that big V8 torque and we feel that most Oldsmobiles of that generation were much more comfortable than their counterparts of the era. Sincy your Cutlass is a four door it will have a longer wheel base anyway and should be quite comfortable. Hints, keep it tuned up and change the oil every 3,000 miles. Check the transmission fluid warm and on a level surface in park. Don't use the bumper jack, they are unsafe. Buy a 1/2 ton protable floor jack and store it under the package tray up high in the trunk area, you can secure it with a web strap bolted to the deck surface (I use an old seat belt). Buy what we call a four-way. A tire tool with different sized sockets on each end that looks like a cross, about a foot long on each arm. That's about it. Good luck.
Old April 25th, 2007 | 08:17 AM

Welcome, chiefke. Nice looking car you have there. I also have a '77, and to be honest I feel a bit dumb when I say that I haven't seen a 4 door of that year and style. Mine's the 2 door.

Glad to see someone from overseas too. Just out of curiousity, how is the availability of parts there? I'm a member on a Ford forum and some people from Europe have a hard time finding Ford parts, at least in certain areas. Well at least you don't have to worry about a whole lot breaking on these cars.
Old April 27th, 2007 | 02:12 AM

Thanks for the information, I already have a four-way and now I'm looking to buy a portable floor jack.
A friend of mine is making the Cutlass ready for the road and tomorrow I'm going to have a look so I can post some more pictures.
Old May 6th, 2007 | 11:57 PM

As promised I will put a new picture, more to be found in the photo-gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0037.JPG (76.7 KB, 6 views)