In need of a Rochester 2GC

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2010, 08:21 AM

In need of a Rochester 2GC

Well, the 2GC on my Cutlass is on its way out - the choke doesn't even stay put anymore, I think the bowl gasket is leaking gas, and the solenoid's rubber cover is coming off. I'd like to rebuild it, but to be honest, this is my ride to work and school, and I've never rebuilt a carburetor before. I bought the kit, but I'm hesitant to do it - I'd rather just buy another carburetor, swap it, and rebuild the spare to keep on the shelf.

Can anyone suggest a place I can get a rebuilt 2GC for cheap? Most places want $150-200 for them and that's more than I have to spend.

If that's the route I have to go, well, that's what I have to do, but if anyone can make any money-saving suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Do you have a factory shop manual for your car yet? It will show you the whole process to tear down and rebuild your carb and the numbers to look for when ordering the rebuild kit.

Rebuilding a carb is no big deal for anyone with basic mechanical skills. I expect you can do it easy enough. Just remember to lay out everything in order. A white towel or mat comes in handy.

After all these years, I'm leery of jobber rebuilt carbs. You don't know exactly what they came off of, you don't know if the correct internals were put in during the rebuild, or what if any parts were replaced.
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hangin' out...

Seriously, the 2GC is one of the easiest carbs to rebuild in the GM lineup. I had one on my 1972 LeMans. Almost the exact same unit as yours. It was the first time I did a 2GC and it ran like champ afterwards. Get the manual, a good rebuild kit, float, and fuel filter. Get lots of carb cleaner and some old toothbrushes. The whole operation should not take more than a couple of hours. You should be able to get all of that for around $50.00. I really wouldn't get an off-the-shelf rebuilt carb. They are butchered into working with a lot of applications. Rebuild what you have.

The only issue is your choke. What do you mean by not staying put? You may need a new choke stove, which are also inexpensive.
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Well, when I push the throttle to open the choke all the way, it doesn't stay in position (it just goes wide open again.)

I suppose I should just buy the carb cleaner and get to it then.

I have a buddy I'll be seeing over the winter holiday who's rebuilt a few, it'll be something to do I guess. She's rebuilt thermoquads, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by ChefDeadpool
Well, when I push the throttle to open the choke all the way, it doesn't stay in position (it just goes wide open again.)

I suppose I should just buy the carb cleaner and get to it then.

I have a buddy I'll be seeing over the winter holiday who's rebuilt a few, it'll be something to do I guess. She's rebuilt thermoquads, so it shouldn't be an issue.
I read that like 5 times and I'm still confused. Do you mean when the engine is cold and you push the gas to close the choke plate, it opens right after closing?

If so, that could be an choke adjustment or a bad choke stove. Check your linkage from the choke to the stove, too. Your vacuum break could be bad, also.

Yeah, like I said, the 2G is very easy to rebuild.

This may help! Lots of information here:

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/R...ual/index.html

Last edited by henryk8398; December 7th, 2010 at 11:39 AM.