Mouldering '72 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2014, 02:33 PM

Mouldering '72 Cutlass S

Whenever I see an old Oldsmobile slowly returning to the dust whence it came, I love to stop and take photos, circumstances permitting. This past weekend I found myself in Superior, Wyoming (look it up), and this '72 Cutlass S 2-door hardtop, minus its engine, was sitting in a yard. So I stopped to take a few of photos.

As I said, the car's engine is gone, and I didn't notice if the transmission was, too. No hood, either, obviously, but otherwise, at quick glance, it didn't look so far gone as to be unsaveable or at least able to contribute parts.

What's interesting is the body cowl tag paint codes indicate Radiant Green as the car's original color, not the blue it is now.

I saw no one while I was there, and I don't know if the car was for sale.

Apparently, when whoever painted it painted it blue, he got carried away and painted the brake booster and master cylinder blue as well. Hey, gotta use up that paint!

The 09A on the tag indicates an early model year build (first week of September 1971).

Old September 24th, 2014, 04:28 PM
72 Olds CS

that car doesnt look in too bad a shape at all
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Wow! I love finding these old cars as well.

I found this one in Georgia a couple weeks back and actually picked it up last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo-764.JPG (131.9 KB, 85 views)
photo-755.JPG (121.5 KB, 83 views)
photo-758.JPG (129.8 KB, 88 views)
photo-765.JPG (142.3 KB, 75 views)
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Tom,
Nice find!!
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
I found this one in Georgia a couple weeks back and actually picked it up last weekend.
Very cool. So how's the car? Does it run? How long had it been sitting in the grass? How's the underside?
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:22 PM

The blue one is an easy save unless it has extensive cancer hidden underneath.
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:19 AM

Cutlass S

Looks like someone stuck on 1972 Cutlass Supreme grilles, and a 1970 trunk lock emblem on the trunklid
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Jaunty75,

I actually found the car in Georgia on Craigslst. Since I was driving through the area on a business trip I decided to stopped by to check it out. The car was located in NW Geogia in a small community about two hours north of Atlanta. The seller parked it out in the back field where it has sat in the weeds for the last four years. I expected to find a lot of rust up underneath the car but instead I found solid rust free floors, doors fenders and rear quarter skins. The roof is where the rust is. The vinyl has a few of bubbles indicating cancer underneath, which is normal for these cars. And the trunk lid is rusting around the trailing edge. The interior was dry as was the trunk. Both of these facts really surprised me. The rear bumper and the small cross member directly behind it are trashed from being pulled around by a tractor. The console has been poorly repaired, The lock on the dash glove box is broken and the door panels were cut for speakers.
The car came with the original Protecto Plate card along with the owners manual. From the Protecto Plate I was able to see the car was originally purchased in PA. That explains the extensive undercoating which protected the floors from rusting.
I haven't tried to start the car yet. It is on the back burner for now. I am selling parts off of the car since that is what I bought the car for. Even though it is an excellent candidate for restoration it is far from perfect. If someone really wanted it I would sell it to them. It is missing the bucket seats, they were in great shape and they sold almost instantly.
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Cool. Thanks.
Old November 29th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Smash

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Whenever I see an old Oldsmobile slowly returning to the dust whence it came, I love to stop and take photos, circumstances permitting. This past weekend I found myself in Superior, Wyoming (look it up), and this '72 Cutlass S 2-door hardtop, minus its engine, was sitting in a yard. So I stopped to take a few of photos.

As I said, the car's engine is gone, and I didn't notice if the transmission was, too. No hood, either, obviously, but otherwise, at quick glance, it didn't look so far gone as to be unsaveable or at least able to contribute parts.

What's interesting is the body cowl tag paint codes indicate Radiant Green as the car's original color, not the blue it is now.

I saw no one while I was there, and I don't know if the car was for sale.

You need to rescue that car, I might just start over now if these condition cars can be found in the weeds. That body looks pretty good to me. Also if thats the original rear bumper its a. 72 That Fisher strike sure did add a lot of confusion to the Cutlass "S" or F-85 Abodies
Apparently, when whoever painted it painted it blue, he got carried away and painted the brake booster and master cylinder blue as well. Hey, gotta use up that paint!

The 09A on the tag indicates an early model year build (first week of September 1971).

Old November 29th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Smash

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Looks like someone stuck on 1972 Cutlass Supreme grilles, and a 1970 trunk lock emblem on the trunklid
They both look like original Cutlass grills to me but Im also the guy who posted the. "My brain hurts " thread top of the board.
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:10 PM

I recently saw this 1969 Cutlass Convertible languishing in a mechanics back lot here in Alabama. Of course the car is sitting out in the weather with the windows down.
I approached the mechanic about the car, lucky me I didn't get shot at. He was a little rude to say the least.
Attached Images
photo-1015.jpg (92.6 KB, 40 views)
photo-1014.jpg (115.6 KB, 39 views)
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What's interesting is the body cowl tag paint codes indicate Radiant Green as the car's original color, not the blue it is now. The 09A on the tag indicates an early model year build (first week of September 1971).
Arlington built car. Note it also had the Strato bucket seat option, so likely a console shifter too. Ivory interior trim code. Body looks to be in really nice shape.

Originally Posted by smash1972
They both look like original Cutlass grills to me but Im also the guy who posted the. "My brain hurts " thread top of the board.
Original grills? Likely - but not Cutlass. They're proper for 72 Cutlass Supreme and Vista Cruiser though.