Just A thought......

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Just A thought......

I was sitting, spacing out for a while today..and I was thinking...what if I were to get a 455 or 425 toronado engine and put it into my '69 Cutlass(if its even possible) what sort of parts would I have to get to make it compatible?..and what transmission would have to be used...4 speed std. preffered. I thought since Im a body guy, and not an engine guy...someone here might have some food for my thought.
Thanks - Darren
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Hello Darren, any 425 or 455 will bolt in with the right engine mounts. Toro mounts are different, you'd have to get new mounts or use the same (8 cyl) mounts that are in your '69 now. Also you'd need to change the oil filter mount from the toro because the angle is different. The one from any other modern Olds 8 cyl will bolt on. If you want to use a 4 spd you'll need to have the crank drilled out for the pilot bearing. Olds only did this w/ engines meant for a standard from the factory. A turbo 400 was the stock trans used on a big block, although a turbo 350 can be built to use. A 400 will use a larger yoke & is longer than a 350. Good luck, Jerry.
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:37 PM

You will also need to replace the exhaust manifolds with headers or manifolds from rear wheel drive cars. I would also replace the intake manifold, not that the Toronado intake wouldnt fit, but it sits alot lower to clear under the hood on Toronado's and doesnt have the performance of a higher rise intake.
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM

hmm ok well it sounds like a bit of work, thanks for the info guys.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Cardoc
I was sitting, spacing out for a while today..and I was thinking...what if I were to get a 455 or 425 toronado engine and put it into my '69 Cutlass(if its even possible) what sort of parts would I have to get to make it compatible?..and what transmission would have to be used...4 speed std. preffered. I thought since Im a body guy, and not an engine guy...someone here might have some food for my thought.
Thanks - Darren
You're not alone.
I came really close to getting a 455/400 just recently. Could have got the whole car (76 Regency) for around 350.00. But the guy who said he wanted to sell it wouldn't give me driving directions to get to his place. It would have been a great project to rebuild and drop into my 72.

One question to the others: Wouldn't you have to upgrade the front suspension too? Or is the weight of the 455/400 fairly close to the weight of a 350/350?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM

Hey Allen
Joe P. commented on that in a similar thread and said the weight difference isn't enough to require changing the springs.

Although if yours are worn that might be a good time to change them. Many years ago I purchased a set of springs from "strongarm suspension" that were suppose to lower the car by about one inch. Since my old springs were soggy the new ones actually raised it slightly! Too bad your so far away.... I have a couple big blocks you could choose from just cluttering up my garage But I'm sure the shipping would be at least twice the value of a motor John