Help? What IS a fair price to pay?

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Help? What IS a fair price to pay?

I want to buy this car I have been driving by that's for sale for my husband for Christmas. I talked to my body shop guy already based on the information I gave him he guesses it will be 5 or 6K to paint and fix and put back together. The guy said 6K obo and he told me he'd take 5K. The car is a 68 Cutlass "S" Convertible it has some rust though it can be fixed, no body damage just a few rust spots that can be cut steel if neeed on the rear quarters. Top has been replaced once upon a time and needs to be replaced, but would do with a major clean up for a while. It's a 350 auto with 66K original miles on it that runs good, but it is blowing some white smoke out of the right exhaust (I think possible head gasket?). The interior is a nightmare! I am sure it can be restored and the body guy agreeded I am just gonna have to pay for it. All the trim has been removed by the guy who has it now as he was plaining on painting it, but ran outta cash and needs the cash he can sell it for. He started a really crap paint job, but he does have every peice of trim to be put back on nothing is missing...

I have two cars a 79 Camaro which I just gave to my 17 yr old daughter and an 85 Trans Am wihich is currently being repainted right now that is mint inside and out and my baby. I feel guilty that he doesn't have the car he wants, so I want to surprise him with this one restored for Christmas. The body shop will get his done by then if I buy it and get it there by Monday he'll stop work on my TA and do this one first so it's done by then. My question is what is this car really worth to pay him. I know the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen market for Camaro's and Bird's but nothing reaally about this 68 Cutlass...

Any help, info or advice would really be appreciated. I am going to probably just buy it tomorrow when I meet up with the guy, if we can agree on a price that is fair to us both I have already hit the bank. Sorry this was so long.

Kath
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM

$5000 sounds too high, IMO. For the $12,00 that it would cost, you can buy a really nice one all ready to go. I like the 68s, too, but keep in mind there are a LOT more parts available for the 70-72 models. 72 ragtops seem to be plentiful. Here is a nice car for $12,500;
http://www.cars-on-line.com/32344.html
Here is a list to look at, give you an idea of what's out there, price-wise;
www.cars-on-line.com/oldsmobile.html
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the reply... I called the guy and told him based on what my body guy said and what you said I would give him $3000 cash today, but no more. He told me he would think about it and get back to me. If he wants it gone for that I will buy it. Again thanks for the help...

Kath
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Kath

I have two cars a 79 Camaro which I just gave to my 17 yr old daughter and an 85 Trans Am wihich is currently being repainted right now that is mint inside and out and my baby.

Coolest mom Ever???!!?!?!
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM

try this link for an idea of what it is worth, I agree from what you posted 5k is too highN.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide Company, white smoke is usually burning oil, but it would appear you have a mechanical issue if you buy that car, best of luck. Kevin
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Sometimes we pay too much for things...thats life but you want to make sure you are not paying too much for garbage.....Since it is a convert someone needs to check the frame for rot...if its solid then the car can be restored...If the frame has rot thru you pretty much will have a dead horse.
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM

The car captjim liked to would be a better buy or shows their out there for that price. If you give 3,000 for that one and pay 6,000 for paint you still need interior and engine work.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
SeamusNH

I agree. I bought a 71 Cutlass Supreme convertible a month ago for $7000 and it does not need anywhere near what this '68 will need. There is no mechanical work, no bodywork. Just smaller stuff.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance....

Old November 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM

That seems like way too much money considering all the work u will have to do! Especially the mechanical work- these cutti parts are not cheap! LOL! I'd offer 3K at most. Good luck!
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
white smoke is usually burning oil
I thought that white smoke indicated a cracked head or crack in the cylinder that allowed coolant into the combustion chamber. Looks like smoke but is acutally mostly water vapor. Blue smoke was burning oil and black smoke was too rich settings on the carb, I could be wrong though.....
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Moment

I don't think your wrong Dan, white "smoke" = steam. It should dissipate quickly into the air. Oil smoke = blueish/whiteish will hang around in the air and stinks like.. well.. burning oil.
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Too Much

I also think that it's a bit pricey. I just bought a 68 cutlass s with a/c for $1700. It needs paint and to have the seats re-upholstered. Also the windshield is cracked. I'm getting a lot of crap from some of my friends that think that I paid too much.
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Wink

sempaidavid, 1700 is not bad at all even if u still need 2 do a lot of mechanical work! I paid 3500.00 for my 69, my brothers friend hooked us up cuz it don't need too much work- i just started my restoration project & it should be done bout 6 months. i'll post pics when it is- ok, good luck!
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I have no advice, but good look with the car...

Personally, I prefer hardtops, but any well restored classic brings a heartfelt tear of joy to my eyes...