Grill Replacement

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2016, 10:48 PM

Grill Replacement

What is the minimum amount of disassembly needed to remove/replace the grills in a 71/72 Cutlass?

I have an opportunity to swap grills in a car someone's selling, and would like to do it with the least intrusion possible. I know it would be easier removing the bumper but I would prefer to avoid that.

I just removed the grills from my '71 without having to take anything else off and I'm hoping that wasn't just possible due to broken tabs.

Yes, the seller has agreed to the grill swap! He has the wrong grills in his car, but they're the right ones for mine...and I have the right ones for him.
Old February 19th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
What is the minimum amount of disassembly needed to remove/replace the grills in a 71/72 Cutlass?

I have an opportunity to swap grills in a car someone's selling, and would like to do it with the least intrusion possible. I know it would be easier removing the bumper but I would prefer to avoid that.

I just removed the grills from my '71 without having to take anything else off and I'm hoping that wasn't just possible due to broken tabs.
I suspect it was. Usually the bumper needs to come off, or at least you need to loosen the bolts and pull the bumper as far out as possible. You may even want to remove the forward two bumper bracket to frame bolts and let the bumper hang down.
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:19 AM

I'm going to be doing this myself soon and was thinking about letting the bumper hang down. Let us know how it goes.
Old February 20th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Got it done without touching the bumper or anything else. The two top tabs were already broken off though. I think I could have done it even with all tabs intact. Just need to take your time and think it through.

Once all the screws are out, the grills and gravel guard pull out enough that you should be able to slide them up then out. I don't think you can get the gravel guard out without more disassembly though. Still have to try that on my car.
Old February 27th, 2016, 03:48 PM

I replaced my front grilles & the stone shield last fall by only loosening the front bumper & letting it hang down. By hindsight, if I was going to do it again I would remove the bumper completely. Removing old broken grilles is far easier than installing new grilles.