Getting identity back

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Getting identity back

I can't believe I have had this car going on 5 years now, and I'm close to getting it on the road again. Ran my trunk letters over my bench buffer this morning then repainted the black on them, as well as the nearly new roof emblems I scored recently on Ebay. The poor car was nearly stripped of all her Supreme heritage when I got it. Here is what I got done this afternoon. Chumley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
badges 001.jpg (48.2 KB, 57 views)
badges 002.jpg (31.5 KB, 48 views)
badges 003.JPG (80.8 KB, 44 views)
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Looking sharp
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:06 PM

I am jealous. At some point in my cars life she was repainted. Whoever did that also took all the emblems off.
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks very nice. Did someone fill in all the holes and repaint her or just take all the emblems off and throw them away?
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Yes, the holes were filled in with Bondo and I had to drill them out and do some minor body repair where removal of the Bondo took out a few chunks of numerous layers of primer and paint. Had to do the same with the front fender badge holes as well. Now all I have left is the fender emblems, correct restored '72 grille and SSII wheels with new rubber. Hope to be driving it again within a couple of weeks.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:32 AM

I bought my 71 Supreme with a mudded up trunklid as well. The previous owner did remove the letters and save them though! Does anyone know or have a template as to where to drill holes in the new trunklid I bought? I would like to put them back on but I am very fussy especially with emblems, they have to be right or it will bug me!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM

Looks good. Also looks just like my color... 14 (Silver Pewter Metallic).
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:35 AM

The car was originally 14 pewter silver, and I wanted to change it back to that. The paint store didn't have a formula for that in it's books, so I chose a newer silver for a base/clear paint. I think it was a Cadillac color from the late eighties. At any rate, it does look good, especially in the sun since the metallic is slightly heavier than the original color. I changed the vinyl top from stock white to black. As far as a template for trunk letters, if you could find someone with a lid with the holes open, they could stretch some paper over them and punch holes in it for the pattern and then take measurements from the bottom lip and side edge of the trunk lid. The first "L" on mine is a little cockeyed. I don't know if it was a factory error, or if I didn't drill that one out perfectly. ( probably the latter) I like things to be as correct as possible too, but sometimes I'll let things go after weighing the time/expense of correcting it with being able to live with it.

Chumley