Fuel tank brace

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Fuel tank brace

Greetings all,
I am in the process of replacing the fuel tank in my '74 Cutlass Supreme. Needless to say, everything is rusted under there. The drivers side tank brace is a completely rusted blob, and the only thing holding that side's fuel tank strap to the floor of the trunk is a big chunk of rust. I have the new tank and straps, but i am looking for a new mounting brace. I don't have the car here to take a photo, but the piece i am looking for is welded to the underside of the trunk floor, and the tank mounting strap gets bolted to it. It is towards the front side of the tank, rather than the rear.
Can anyone advise where i can get one of these tank mounting tab / braces?
Thanks
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:28 AM

I am not sure of exactly what you need but if it is indeed welded you need to get one from a donor car or rebuild that one or repair it or build one. You will need a welder to do it right.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I am not sure of exactly what you need but if it is indeed welded you need to get one from a donor car or rebuild that one or repair it or build one. You will need a welder to do it right.
i could fabricate one, but it would be easier to get a proper one and hit it with the mig. i will cut out the rusty part of the trunk with the plasma, and use some sheet-metal from an old trunk lid i grabbed from my local auto body guy's dumpster (an excellent source of free sheet metal) to replace the structure there. Then if i had the proper bracket, just weld it up.