86 carb problems?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM

86 cutlass running problems?

I have replaced the gas tank, fuel pump and rebuilt top-half of carb fixed and replaced vacum lines. I have to pump the gas pedal 2 to 3 times to start. I can drive for awhile and the car dies. Also, if I put it in neutrul before it dies it will idel fine and when I put it back in drive it dies. If some has any ideas
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. Sounds like two issues. First is float level, or primary pump in carb. Pull off the breather, hold open the butterfly valve, and look down into the carb as you push the throttle by hand. You should see two full streams of fuel. If not, that is your starting issue. Second, check your idle speed, and make sure you didn't miss any vacumn leaks. Hope this helps, and let us know what you find. Best of luck, Jim.
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by muscman
I have replaced the gas tank, fuel pump and rebuilt top-half of carb fixed and replaced vacum lines. I have to pump the gas pedal 2 to 3 times to start. I can drive for awhile and the car dies. Also, if I put it in neutrul before it dies it will idel fine and when I put it back in drive it dies. If some has any ideas
It would help to know which engine and carb. Is this a 307 with the electronic Qjet? If so, I don't know how you rebuild just the "top half" of the carb. The 307 (both VIN Y and VIN 9) is very sensitive to carb adjustment and to the proper functioning of the myriad of electronic and vacuum controls on the motor. EVERYTHING must be operating properly for this engine to run correctly. I stongly suggest you get a factory service manual for that year and follow the troubleshooting and setup instructions religiously. It took me a month of evenings and weekends to find all the problems with my 86 307, but now it runs great.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Hi there

I have the same problem.

I have the 81 Cutlass LS with the V6. Not sure about the carb though....

I had it adjusted at the workshop and it ran great. Then suddenly as I started it up again yesterday I could even get it out of the parkinglot - it just shut off. I had to drive back and forth alittle first and then it got going. Then when I got to my destination, after idling for 5 mins, it died out again....

I adjusted the carb again and it ran great. Then after some driving back and forth the idle speed went down yet again (!) and I fear the same things will happen - that it dies out.....what can all this be ?