81' Cutlass Supreme Engine Swap... + watever else i must do

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Dread

Cool 81' Cutlass Supreme Engine Swap... + watever else i must do

I would like to restore my 81 Cutlass supreme

Well lemme introduce myself.. I'm 19, this car was given to me by my father. Apparently the engine rod is (excuse my "French") Fucked. Therefore i would like to replace the engine (make sense right...). I'm not to certain what engine i have at the moment but i know my cutlass was built in Canada and its a V6. Any advise on recommended engines would be nice. Or any comments/ recommendations you guys have would be appreciated. Hope to get to know my fellow Cutlass adorers.

My Friend is taking community college automotive classes and is going to help me. We should be taking the current engine out within the next week. I live in Seattle. And I'm looking at a variety of engines. According to my Book (Chilton's Repair & Tune-Up Guide, Cutlass 1970 to 1982 All Rear Wheel Drive Models) I can use these engines in my car... Any other compatible ones with same mount settings?

6-231 Buick (2 bbl)
8-305 Chev. (4bbl)
8-350 Olds. (Diesel)

1love,
Dread

P.S. Sorry For tha long post i figure this is the vest way to get advise... lol...)
Respond here or email.
bone.dogs@gmail.com

Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
2Blue 55

hello and welcome to the forum. i am told the only olds engieens wil fit in an olds without modification. I would imagine that any same size olds engine from the era should bolt right up. I am sure many people on this forum are wanting to give their opinion. Good luck with your new ride. Hope you enjoy your stay
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Dread

Can you clarify a little i got kinda lost at tha beggining. Do you mean all Olds Engine have the same settings or wat?

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:22 AM
2Blue 55

I am not sure what years will fit, but from other posts people say that olds engines will "bolt right up" I am not sure which years will work, but i will ask a few people and see what I can come up with.

hope this sort of helps, but if your manual says the 3 engines will work, i would stick with those, personally I would stick with an olds engine, but it is all personnel preference.

Good luck findig what you need.
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Dread

Alright thanks for tha info. and if you could get me more that would be awesome.

Old March 5th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Just so you know, The only easy swap will be another 3.8 v6. To switch to an Olds 4.3(260), 5.0(307), or 5.7(350) gas , or diesel v8, will mean changing the mounts in the frame. The bolts for the mounts are near impossible to get at without removing the lower control arms. The v8 swap will also mean, fan shroud, rad and power steering hoses. Also modifying the engine electrical,(lengthen or shorten wires.), and don't forget exhaust. If you want the v8, try looking for a running, rotted out parts car and take what you need. If you don't want a lot of work, and just want a running car, your best bet is another 3.8 v6. I hope this helps. Oh yeah, I'm not sure about swapping to a Chev engine, Ive nver done it. Best of luck.
Jim's rare 80.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Dread

Thanks This Info Is A big help. How much would u estimate cost wise. Not the engine. But the rest of the stuff... I would love to get the V8 in there.

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hey, you were watching. The engine is the big part. When you look for one, make sure you ask about the frame mounts included.You can get aftermarket hoses cheap enough, some parts would be wrecker parts. Accesories besides engine shouldn't be more than about $200.00. depending on what you want. I could be wrong, but shouldn't be by much. Decide the engine you want first, everything else is determined on that. Watch for future post's from other members. I'm sure there's more to come.

Jim's rare 80.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Dread

Thanks Jim! And ill keep you guys posted on my project.

I also got alot of good feedback over here at Oldspower.com

heres my post there in case u guys wanna see what others are saying. And i will be keeping up with both post.

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Dread

Found a:

1976 buick skylark 231 buick
$250 for engine, trans, and whatever I want
$175 for just engine.

Should I take it guys or wait for tha Olds 350?

Old March 16th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Dread

Alright so i have purchased a 307 V8 with a THC 2004r tranny. Been searching a lil on how to swap these out... if any body has links they could point me to it would be much appreciated...

Old March 16th, 2007, 07:16 AM

If you use that 200 4R it will have to be wired up unless you buy a NON LOCK-UP CONVERTOR and they are EXPENSIVE!!!! 200 4R's are great trannys WHEN THEIR BUILT BY A QUALIFIED TRANS SHOP- cost is around a $1000 bucks for a stocker or waaaay more $ for upgraded.Put any kind of power behind a used 200 4R and it will start slipping SOON! I would HIGHLY recommend you to go with a turbo 350 trans-around $300 bucks, put a B&M Transpac in it($60), and it will crack your neck when it changes gears!
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Dread

Well i'm on a budget... could i run the 307 with my current tranny? or get my 204r checked out at a tranny shop to make sure its koo?

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Yes you can run your current trans. If your current trans is shifting nice,try to get a Transpac or shift improver kit for your trans. It will lengthen the life of your tranny and shift crispier(2nd gear scratch). They are easy to put in ESPECIALLY if you have it out of the car.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Dread

So heres the issue. My dad gave me this car.. From what he tells me the engine rod is shot, and i believe the current engine caught fire... From what i remember the car shifted great when i last rod in it. What about taking the tranny to a shop for an inspection.. is that a good idea?