77 cutlass supreme help

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:13 PM

77 cutlass supreme help

Hi guys so on my 77 cutlass I had my friend look at it real fast he's always so busy. He food me it has a hose missing that is important. He says it keeps the engine warm and without it its going to take forever for the car to warm up? What is that? And it has a exhaust leak? And one more thing the spedometer lights don't work. I no its a lot of questions but answeres will be very well appreciated thank you
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rayfrausto
Hi guys so on my 77 cutlass I had my friend look at it real fast he's always so busy. He food me it has a hose missing that is important. He says it keeps the engine warm and without it its going to take forever for the car to warm up? What is that? And it has a exhaust leak? And one more thing the spedometer lights don't work. I no its a lot of questions but answeres will be very well appreciated thank you
1. The engine uses a tube from the exhaust manifold to the lower intake on the air cleaner. When the car is cold, the thermovac activates to bring warm air up to the carb to prevent icing. When the car warms up, the thermovac releases vacuum pressure and allows engine bay air to flow into the carb. It's an easy fix.

2. Exhaust leak? Take it to a shop and get it fixed. Carbon monoxide coming into the car from the exhaust is nothing to fool with.

3. Speedo lights not working? Check to see if the fuse has blown, or whether the lights are burnt out. You didn't say if all the dash lights are out. If they are, it's probably a fuse.

Hope this helps
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
1. The engine uses a tube from the exhaust manifold to the lower intake on the air cleaner. When the car is cold, the thermovac activates to bring warm air up to the carb to prevent icing. When the car warms up, the thermovac releases vacuum pressure and allows engine bay air to flow into the carb. It's an easy fix.

Okay so what part is it that I need so I can search it on how to fix it and buy it very little knowledge on cars this is my first project and I wanna learn so a lot of research I have been doin that's y I said info is much apreciated. So what part do I need for that?

2. Exhaust leak? Take it to a shop and get it fixed. Carbon monoxide coming into the car from the exhaust is nothing to fool with.

The exhaust leak ima take to a shop

3. Speedo lights not working? Check to see if the fuse has blown, or whether the lights are burnt out. You didn't say if all the dash lights are out. If they are, it's probably a fuse.

I'll start with the fuse but my light above my radio turns on.

Thank for the information I also have a service manual on my car coming in for more help. I need to no what part I need for question #1
Hope this helps
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:14 AM
Registered

You just need a hunk of carburetor heat stove/pre-heater hose, any parts store should have it.
I don't know what engine you have, this one's for a '77 Cutlass with a 350.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2563&ppt=C0359
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM

Ya I have a 350. Thank you so thats the part I need okay sounds easy enough it goes from the exhaust manifold to the lower intake on the air cleaner?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You just need a hunk of carburetor heat stove/pre-heater hose, any parts store should have it.
I don't know what engine you have, this one's for a '77 Cutlass with a 350.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2563&ppt=C0359
Here's were bein a beginner comes in! So I'm guessing that part goes from here to here.

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You got it. Even my wife could install that....as long as she doesn't chip a nail