'76 T-Top Bags...

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2020, 05:11 AM

'76 T-Top Bags...

Looking for a source for T-Top bags. So far, I have been unable to find any that are specific to the '76 Cutlass. Or any mid '70s Cutlass for that matter. Can't find any evidence that cross-overs from the Regal, Monte Caro, etc will fit.

Looking for suggestions / recommendations.

Thanks
Old February 17th, 2020, 08:32 AM

It looks like there isn't any experience with these storage bags so, having to go outside the box...again. Which isn't that unusual when dealing with classics. I found a padded T-Top bag for the C-3 Corvette which is slightly larger than my T-Top dimensions. While this bag is supposed to fit (2) tops I will not be concerned If only one fits. Two may make it too heavy anyway. I will get another bag if necessary. I just hope it works.

It will be about 10 Days before it comes in. I will provide more details if it works out.

I had considered having my local upholstery shop make them, as I already have very good padding to provide. But, then I remembered what he charged for recovering my Trans Am rear seats (I even supplied the material) and thought I would go this route first.
Old February 17th, 2020, 11:48 AM

My '76 Salon came with a corrugated box made out of plastic with a similar material divider you would put between the tops during storage and a rubber strap to hold it down in the trunk. I'm not sure but don't think they had the bags similar to the ones for the trans am for our cars. I sold my car and bought it back several years later but the car was pretty much destroyed and the box was gone. However, here is a pic I found online showing the same type box except this is for a GP.

https://www.pontiacoaklandmuseum.org...Grand-Prix.pdf

If memory serves correctly (may not be as my clutches are starting to slip) I had a friend that had a 77 GP with tops and the tops and box was identical to my '76 salon.
Old February 17th, 2020, 12:19 PM

Interesting thought about using corrugated plastic. I have some corrugated plastic sheets in my shop since we have a # of those extruders as customers. One of them is only about 40 minutes from the shop. Hell, they might even make the boxes for me. In fact, I have some 0.250" thick ridged plastic sheets here, as well. I could glue in the 0.50" thick closed cell foam we have...

If the C-3 Bag(s) don't work I may take a hard look at that these options.

Thanks
Old February 17th, 2020, 05:25 PM

My '76 came with 2 bags, 1 for each top. They are a brown plastic/vinyl type material on the outside and a soft white fleece material inside. They have flaps that fold over on one end with 3 buttons on each IIRC. I just assumed someone made them back in the day.
Old February 18th, 2020, 04:22 AM

Actually, my then girlfriend made me some soft cloth covers/jackets to put the tops in before I put them in the box. Maybe someone on the site still has the box and can get you pics and dimensions of it as well as a picture of the box fastened in place inside the trunk. If memory serves, the box was built kind of like a pizza box. One big piece that folded over and inside itself to make the top, bottom, and sides and the single piece which went between the tops to keep them from rubbing together. Good luck with it!
Old February 21st, 2020, 01:36 PM

The T-Top Bag arrived today. A bit oversized but, very well made and nicely padded. Holds both tops. Details and pics to follow but, off to grandson's soccer game...
Old February 22nd, 2020, 09:31 AM

The Bag was purchased direct from Corvette Central. Everyone else, including Amazon Prime was higher for what looks to be the same bag.

https://www.corvettecentral.com/acce...g%26count%3d18

Pictures as promised....

On Edit: Having problems attaching additional pics for some reason. Will try again later.

Last edited by KW5413; February 22nd, 2020 at 09:41 AM.