72 cutlass supreme to a 442?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM

72 cutlass supreme to a 442?

was just wondering if it is possible to clone my 72 supreme into a 442?? i don't mean just putting 442 badges on it like some people. i mean 4 in the floor etc.... is it possible? if so how hard would it be?? did the supremes and the 72 with the 442 option have the same body lines???
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Well, not to be a killjoy, but no 1970-72 Supreme notchback hardtops were ever built as factory 442s/W29 cars. Unless your car is a Supreme ragtop, it'll be an obvious fake. You'll possibly get more negative comments than positive ones at shows, cruises, etc. if you go that route. The Cutlass / Cutlass S fastback hardtop/post coupe are the bodystyles that were used for the W-29/442 coupes. Also, most 1972 442s were automatics, so the 4 speed will not make it more 442-like. It will give you the excitement of banging through the gears though.

In any case, it's very possible to convert your car to a 4 speed. There are a lot of parts required to do it correctly, but it's a common conversion. I'll see if I can find a link to the list of parts and steps needed - there are probably some threads on here already describing the whole process.

Terry
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Except for the roofline and the interior upholstery patterns, your Supreme is identical to any other Cutlass/442 from the same year. Any components from a 442 will bolt to your car. That includes a 4 speed, for example. This was even an available, though rare, option on the Supreme. As noted, the notchback roof was never used on a 442, so it won't be "clone" but more of a phantom (ie, a body style that was never built by the factory). Frankly, if you want to put emblems on your car, have at it. Call it a phantom instead of a clone and you'll likely avoid much of the wrath noted above.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's another thought that struck me as I hit "send" (no, fortunately I wasn't hurt). Why is it that people have no problems with putting 442 emblems on Vista Cruisers but have a big problem with putting them on Supremes?
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM

When I re-did mine, I had EVERYTHING to clone my 72 Cutlass into a 442 w30 including the stripe templates. I actually had the wire feed in my hand ready to fill in the original emblem holes, and just said WHY?? So I ended up leaving her a Cutlass and just did it my way with the hood, wing, grilles, and SS1's. It was funny last week. A guy pulled up next to me and yelled " Nice car! Is that a 442?" Eventhough it has it's Cutlass emblems on the trunk and fenders.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:57 AM

Why not put 442 suspension parts on, duel exhaust and drop in a 455, plus other high performance goodies and keep the stock emblems. It would be something like a Cutlass SX.
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Here's another thought that struck me as I hit "send" (no, fortunately I wasn't hurt). Why is it that people have no problems with putting 442 emblems on Vista Cruisers but have a big problem with putting them on Supremes?
Joe, I have a problem with putting them on Vistas too if it makes you feel better. I just get more perturbed since my primary Olds focus has always been the 1972 Supreme, which seems to get victimized the most.

Terry
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by vette442
Well, not to be a killjoy, but no 1970-72 Supreme notchback hardtops were ever built as factory 442s/W29 cars. Unless your car is a Supreme ragtop, it'll be an obvious fake. You'll possibly get more negative comments than positive ones at shows, cruises, etc. if you go that route.

I dunno Vette...I did my Supreme like a 442 and I don't get anything but turned heads and compliments on mine!

In 72' the 442 was basically just an add-on package for the cutlass and wasn't even considered it's own model anymore. The add-on included various options such as the wing, rallye pack gauges, hood, sway bars, boxed control arms, and sometimes the 455. Some of the 1972 442s even came with a 350.

If done properly, I think that the notchback Suprmemes look even better than some of the fastbacks!! Just my opinion though!
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
When I re-did mine, I had EVERYTHING to clone my 72 Cutlass into a 442 w30 including the stripe templates. I actually had the wire feed in my hand ready to fill in the original emblem holes, and just said WHY?? So I ended up leaving her a Cutlass and just did it my way with the hood, wing, grilles, and SS1's. It was funny last week. A guy pulled up next to me and yelled " Nice car! Is that a 442?" Eventhough it has it's Cutlass emblems on the trunk and fenders.

Noticed your signature Ziff. Did you go with aztec gold on your 72'? The hood and fenders look just like mine! HA! Got full on pics?

My supreme used to be that brown bronze color and have the rubber bumper trim around it. When the body shop removed it and filled the holes, they accidentally filled the emblem holes on the fenderd too. At first I was bummed out, but now I acutally like it. I also did the 442 grille, but put the original chrome "Oldsmobile" emblem back on and painted just the front of it with red. Looks pretty slick and has that pop that the red 442 numbers have. I also have the Oldsmobile lettering on the trunk. It's great because no one really knows what it is, and like you, they always ask if it's a 442. (I don't mind saying no!) My dad has a 70' 442, but I'm pretty content with my Supreme.
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by #1CutlassSupreme
In 72' the 442 was basically just an add-on package for the cutlass and wasn't even considered it's own model anymore. The add-on included various options such as the wing, rallye pack gauges, hood, sway bars, boxed control arms, and sometimes the 455. Some of the 1972 442s even came with a 350.
Just to clarify, most of the items you mentioned - the wing, gauges, and O.A.I. hood - were specifically NOT part of the W-29 442 Appearance and Handling package in 1972. These items were actually separate options that were available on other Cutlii even without the 442 option. The W-29 package included the FE2 suspension (boxed rear arms, front and rear anti-sway bars, and specific shocks and springs), the 442 grilles and emblems, and pinstripes. Since the package did not include any performance options, the package could be ordered with any engine available in the A-body line that year. Far more 1972 442s were built with 350s (many were 2bbl, single exhaust motors) than with 455s. Even the notched rear bumper and chrome trumpets were not part of the W-29 package. They were only installed if the car had a 455 (all three of which came with dual exhausts that year).
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by #1CutlassSupreme
Noticed your signature Ziff. Did you go with aztec gold on your 72'? The hood and fenders look just like mine! HA! Got full on pics?

My supreme used to be that brown bronze color and have the rubber bumper trim around it. When the body shop removed it and filled the holes, they accidentally filled the emblem holes on the fenderd too. At first I was bummed out, but now I acutally like it. I also did the 442 grille, but put the original chrome "Oldsmobile" emblem back on and painted just the front of it with red. Looks pretty slick and has that pop that the red 442 numbers have. I also have the Oldsmobile lettering on the trunk. It's great because no one really knows what it is, and like you, they always ask if it's a 442. (I don't mind saying no!) My dad has a 70' 442, but I'm pretty content with my Supreme.
Mine is the fastback. I painted it 70 Nugget Gold. Here is the link-

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/ziff396
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:09 AM

I get that all the time with my 70. It looks like a w-30 including the red inners but I left the Cutlass emblems on the fenders!