70 Supreme A/C ?

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2006, 07:04 AM

70 Supreme A/C ?

My A/C doesn't blow cold, it appears that the A/C unit does not turn off even with the dash switch in the off position. 350 Rocket with a Frigidare model # 5910729, unit turns freely and has no grinding or growling noise as with a bad bearing. Does the compressor have a clutch and if so is it possible that it is frozen?
As always, thanks for any feedback.
Old September 30th, 2006, 04:22 PM

I unplugged the compressor and it does still turn. Is there any way to free that up? Is the mode door behind the right side kick panel?
Thanks again!
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM

AC problems

Some of thearly GM,s did not have a low pressure switch such as those with a VIR system .check freon pressure ,LOW SIDE located near the VIR (dryer) or follow the Big line from compressor Pressure witnout car running must be at least 70 -&up to start cooling. If low hava a pro AC man service it

Larry
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. Im' not insulted, back to basics is a good place for me, having guys like you out there is a blessing! I'm assuming that the clutch is in front of the pully. With the belt off I can turn the pully by hand and the clutch turns with it. I can not turn them individually. With the belt on they both turn and I don't hear any clicking. A friend has the same compressor sitting on a shelf, is it possible to swap the pully/clutch assembly?
Thanks again!
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:24 AM

OK, sorry, I've been away for awhile. I was able to free the clutch from the pully and it does turn by hand but not to smoothly. When I first start the car the clutch will turn very slowly and I can stop it easily by hand. Once I turn on the AC it will not disengage. I rented a pully puller and tried to remove it but it wouldn't budge. I think the compressor is OK just low on freon. I guess I'm at the point where I take it to a shop.
Thanks for the replys.
Old October 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM

A regular pulley puller wont remove the clutch.....its a special device that screws into the threads in the center of the clutch assembly. You are scareing me with stopping the clutch with your hand!?......If the clutch was turning all the time it is very possible the internals are broken and its free-wheeling inside especially if there is no freon in the system. I would say that yes it is time to seek professional help or to buy a compressor and clutch assembly and swap it out. Then you will need a vacuum pump to remove air from the system and drier/receiver should be changed and the system converted to 134a refrigerant.....so you see it gets quite involved.