68 convertible and 4 door interchangeables?

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:23 AM

Talking 68 convertible and 4 door interchangeables?

noob here, sorry if some of these are stupid questions. I have the convertible S with PS/manual drums/auto. as basic as it gets. I found a 4 door (PS/PB/AC/auto) locally for cheap I'm considering as a donor so I am wondering what parts are interchangeable? like suspension and such.....

specifically, I would like to add A/C to my car and have it retain stock appearance. So I intend to get the Vintage Air setup and use the AC dash. first do I need the whole dash or can I just get an AC dash pad for my car? if not any problems with swapping the 4dr dash? (I live in Inland Southern California and summer reaches over 100, not comfortable with black interior)

Interested in the body panels too, front clip, rear tails/bumper and deck lid. as far as I can tell they appear to all be interchangeable. Am I wrong?

and lastly, the bench seat. That doesn't have a different width does it? or mounting points? just checking.

thanks guys! Glad I found this forum and hope to find it very useful during my slow restoration.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 05:05 AM

Most of what you listed interchanges. The frame is a different length, but steering, suspension, brakes all the same. Bumpers, complete nose the same. Trunk lid also called a deck lid is the same. Dash and everything attached the same. Front seat is the same, but not the rear. AC will interchange but its a big project. The hole in the firewall for the AC box is larger than the non-AC box. Can be done, but to do it right you need to cut out that hole larger. Doors are different, rear quarter panel is different although you might be able to cut patch panels from the 4 door that would match.

Oh, and by the way welcome to the site! Please post pictures of your car when you have time.

John
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:09 AM

Thanks for confirming 2blu! I knew there couldn't of been anything major. I posted a pic in the new member forum