66 Cutlass side trim...Flash chromed?

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
car guy

66 Cutlass side trim...Flash chromed?

I know 67 is since some of the pieces are pot metal but since 66 is all stainless I assumed it was not. Well I started buffing my trim today and seams like there is a layer I am cutting through. Is that chrome or just a real tough layer of oxidation with clean metal where I sanded through?
See the point in the pic. The bottom of the pic I sanded and polished it all off but it is a bitch.

[/img]
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM

I am talking out of my keister here, but it does look like you cut through something. Maybe anodizing
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:44 AM

been there did that, the pieces have a clear coat on them from the mfg. I sanded all of mine off and polished it looks nice but has a yellow hint to it. mine is not out in the weather and this has been done a number of years ago and using paste wax twice a year seems to keep it looking good. I used to do this work for friends ...jim
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Trying to remember member

That's a good question, Richard. The center section of the trim originally has some surface treatment to give it a "satin" finish. It is not supposed to be polished. I don't know (yet!) what that finish is. Only the top and bottom edges are polished. And of. course, there is the black stripe.
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:54 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by wmachine
That's a good question, Richard. The center section of the trim originally has some surface treatment to give it a "satin" finish. It is not supposed to be polished. I don't know (yet!) what that finish is. Only the top and bottom edges are polished. And of. course, there is the black stripe.
The center is just silver paint. I have that addressed but it does look like the stainless is all chromed and will need to be removed before polishing.
I'm not going to do it now. No use in spending weeks on the stainless making it perfect and putting it on in imperfect body.
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Randy C.

FLASH CHROMING

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I know 67 is since some of the pieces are pot metal but since 66 is all stainless I assumed it was not. Well I started buffing my trim today and seams like there is a layer I am cutting through. Is that chrome or just a real tough layer of oxidation with clean metal where I sanded through?
See the point in the pic. The bottom of the pic I sanded and polished it all off but it is a bitch.

[/img]

It's quite possible the item is flash chromed. I had the same trouble with the passenger side quarter fender ridge trim on my '68 442 convertible. I thought the piece was just stainless and I took it to a stainless expert to get it buffed out. He told me the piece was flash chromed and that I would need to have the flash chrome removed before he could buff. He told me he was surprised to see flash chroming that late in the 60s, but he was sure it was. I took it to a chrome shop and they removed the flash chrome in a matter of a couple of minutes. Then, I took the piece back to the stainless guy and he buffed it all out for me. However, it did appear a bit diffferent than the rest of the trim on the car when I compared them side by side. I took the piece back to the chromer and he flash chromed it for me. Now it looks exactly like the other pieces. Accordingly, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you piece is flash-chromed.
Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968Olds442front.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)