455 Into 68 Cutlass S Convertible

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM

455 Into 68 Cutlass S Convertible

Tried searching but couldn't find anything specific to this. What sort of issues will I run into putting a 455 into a 68 Cutlass being that the 68 would only have had a 350 or 400. Any and all info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM

You won't run into any issues putting a 455 in it. It bolts right up. This question has been asked many times on here so there is lot of treads with info on this. One question is always about engine mounts what ever ones you have will work. If it had a sbo than you can use those mounts. You can use your same brackets. You have to use the right water pump for the brackets.
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:12 PM

You're in luck!
Oldsmobile also made a 68 442 with a 455! WhoooHooo!
There should be lots and lots of threads about 455's into 68-72 A bodies.
Post your specific questions and they will get answered.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68conv455
You're in luck!
Oldsmobile also made a 68 442 with a 455! WhoooHooo!
There should be lots and lots of threads about 455's into 68-72 A bodies.
Post your specific questions and they will get answered.
Actually, that would be a Hurst/Olds. 68 442s only came with the G-block 400.

As for swapping the 455 into a 68, be aware that from the factory, the big block and small blocks used the same motor and frame mounts in 1968. MOST VENDORS INCORRECTLY LIST THE 69-72 MOUNTS AS FITTING 1968 ALSO. The correct 1968 mount will be the same as the 350 mount. Anchor #2261 is the correct motor mount if your originals need replacing.

You'll need the correct BBO exhaust manifolds or headers. The 69-72 W/Z manifolds will fit the 68 chassis but will not be "factory correct" for a 68 BBO, if you care.
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As for swapping the 455 into a 68, be aware that from the factory, the big block and small blocks used the same motor and frame mounts in 1968. MOST VENDORS INCORRECTLY LIST THE 69-72 MOUNTS AS FITTING 1968 ALSO. The correct 1968 mount will be the same as the 350 mount. Anchor #2261 is the correct motor mount if your originals need replacing.
Originally Posted by 70_cutlass_S
You have to use the right water pump for the brackets.
I know I actually began this thread indicating I was "putting" a 455 in the car when in fact I bought the car this way. It is a 68 Cutlass S vert with a 1971 455 and long tail TH400. I guess I was "fishing" for any and all issues I might need to look for that the previous owner(s) might have jacked up. Which brings me to this......

What could account for the engine sitting low or just not lining up with the fan shroud? I ask because I just noticed the bottom of the fan shroud is cut away to make room for the fan. At the top there is about 1.5" clearance between the fan and shroud. My parts manual indicates that the fan shroud was the same for all V8 engines on the cutlass in 68 so it has me a bit baffled. Could it be an issue with the motor/fame mounts as Joe P. stated above or maybe the water pump issue as stated by Andy?

As always....thanks in advance.

Last edited by sklbndt; January 17th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Hi John
There were different diameter fan blades and my guess is you've got the larger diameter blades on your 1971 engine. There are some past threads discussing this too as your not the first person who's struggled with this. That's why my 1970 has the bottom cut out of the fan shroud. John
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
That's why my 1970 has the bottom cut out of the fan shroud.
I take it that it does not present any engine cooling issues?
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM

It shouldn't a lot of people have done the same thing to make there's work.
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sklbndt
What could account for the engine sitting low or just not lining up with the fan shroud? I ask because I just noticed the bottom of the fan shroud is cut away to make room for the fan. At the top there is about 1.5" clearance between the fan and shroud. My parts manual indicates that the fan shroud was the same for all V8 engines on the cutlass in 68 so it has me a bit baffled. Could it be an issue with the motor/fame mounts as Joe P. stated above or maybe the water pump issue as stated by Andy?
Sorry, but I continue to be amazed that this keeps coming up. As I've stated in other threads, it is not possible for the engine to sit lower than stock - the oil pan would be resting on the frame. If you have the incorrect combination of frame and motor mounts, you won't be able to get the bolts in. All Olds water pumps have the fan centerline in exactly the same place relative to the crank centerline. That's why all Olds V8s from 1964-1990 use the same front cover.

Either the entire engine/trans combo is tipped down at the front or there's a problem with an incorrect shroud and/or fan. Note that 1968 shrouds are different from the 69-72 shrouds.

I HAVE had a situation where someone had lifted the car with the jack points midway down the frame rails, and had distorted the lower flange of the frame. This caused the crossmember to sit too high, raising the trans and pitching the engine down in front. Alternately, a bent or incorrect trans crossmember could do the same thing.
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM

I'm running a 4 row radiator with it and have no problem in the summer. In my part of the country there may be one or two weeks over 100 degrees, then several weeks in the 90's. I don't know exactly what years used the different sized fans blades, but I have measured 19" and 19 1/2" fans on 1968-72 engines. These were all 6 blade clutch fans. Several years ago I tried 3 or 4 different shrouds on my 1970 before giving up and cutting the bottom center out of one. Since then I read a thread on this site explaining the different diameter blades and realized my mistake. John
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Sorry, but I continue to be amazed that this keeps coming up.
As new owners emerge we run into the same problems....guess I should have put more effort into searching....sorry.

As I've stated in other threads, it is not possible for the engine to sit lower than stock - the oil pan would be resting on the frame.
Uh....now I just feel stupid. I should have realized this myself. Kinda ashamed considering I'm in a mechanical field of work.

Either the entire engine/trans combo is tipped down at the front or there's a problem with an incorrect shroud and/or fan. Note that 1968 shrouds are different from the 69-72 shrouds.
Any idea on the difference? I did find the part number on the one that's in there and it is the 69-72 shroud. I appears though that all the aftermarket shrouds are listed as 68-72.

I HAVE had a situation where someone had lifted the car with the jack points midway down the frame rails, and had distorted the lower flange of the frame. This caused the crossmember to sit too high, raising the trans and pitching the engine down in front. Alternately, a bent or incorrect trans crossmember could do the same thing.
Ouch....I'll look into this one but hope it doesn't apply. Sounds tough to correct.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm running a 4 row radiator with it and have no problem in the summer. In my part of the country there may be one or two weeks over 100 degrees, then several weeks in the 90's. I don't know exactly what years used the different sized fans blades, but I have measured 19" and 19 1/2" fans on 1968-72 engines. These were all 6 blade clutch fans. Several years ago I tried 3 or 4 different shrouds on my 1970 before giving up and cutting the bottom center out of one. Since then I read a thread on this site explaining the different diameter blades and realized my mistake. John
All good information....Thanks guys!!!
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sklbndt
As new owners emerge we run into the same problems....guess I should have put more effort into searching....sorry.
That wasn't meant to be a personal criticism, just an observation that many people seem to have a problem with fan shroud clearance lately. The Olds motor mounts can be confusing. Welcome and good luck.
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM

That wasn't meant to be a personal criticism...........
Didn't really take it as such but I guess I did sound as if I did. It's all good!!
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Was the cutlass originally fitted with an inline 6? Don't know if the fan is in a different position but thought I'd offer it as a possibility.
My cutlass S vert came with a 6 cyl.
I installed an electric fan on mine so I don't know what would have happened with the original shroud.