1972 Cutlass S Question with screech noise

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM

1972 Cutlass S Question with screech noise

Hey guys recently I was driving my car and when I revved it up it made a little bad sounding screech
noise. Like a little scream. At first I thought it was the power
steering belt, so I tightened that just a tad. And it seemed to be ok.
However the next day It made the same noise....So then I tried
replacing the Alternator belt, which really neded to get replaced
anyhow..And that solved the problem momentarily also...The car only
makes the noise when you revv it up with some power..a little vroom
vroom its fine..but if you really hit it a little bit, you hear the
screech. However it only does it in PARK and NEUTRAL. If I'm driving
and just slam on the gas It's fine...so it only does it while in park
and neutral which just makes no damn sense to me at all. Any help would
be greatly appreciated..Thanks much, Mike.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM

I would take a bit of brake fluid, pour some in the cap, then apply some on the belts with your finger. That will stop the screeching for a week or two, and at least then you can have peace of mind that it's a belt. A screeching belt is distinctive enough though.

If you like, go ahead and replace the power steering belt. Just tightening it doesn't always eliminate the sound. Not only that but if it is now too tight it will be hard on bearings. Come to think of it, while it's in Park, rev it up while turning the wheels fairly fast. See if the sound worsens then. It should, since there will be more power draw on the power steering systme.
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:52 PM

I don't know why I didn't just replace both the belts, I guess that was kind of dumb on my part. I'll pick up a new power steering belt, and I'll let you know if the noise goes away. I would assume that would be the issue, but we shall see. Thanks much for your response! It's nice to have assurance that its not something real serious though. Thanks a lot man, Mike.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM

In my experience the belt usually needs replacing when it starts to screech, even after tightening. What happens as a belt wears, it gets really slick on the contact side, almost like a glaze, which lessens the friction between the belt and pulley, hence the noise. Be glad it's an easy fix and not something more serious.
Chumley
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Hey thanks for all your input guys! Helped out much. I found out the noise was the alternator....I took off the power steering belt and tried revving the car up..it made the noise...i took off the NEW alternator belt...revved it up and it made the noise..i took off both belts...revved it up..and it still made the noise...so i got a new alternator..put it in..put both belts on..revved it up and it was fine..and has been fine ever since! Thankfully! thanks much guys!
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I'm just a bit curious, where did the noise come from with BOTH belts off and the alternator not spinning?? Or did I miss something in the translation?
Chumley
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Sorry I may not have said it...but it was the alternator itself. While someone revved it up I put my ear as close as I could to the alternator without scolding myself..and thats where the noise was coming from. At the time I was not 100%...but the old alternator looked old..and thats the only thing i could think of that would be the noise..with neither belt on...and it only cost $39 bucks for a new one..so it wasn't to pricey. I don't hear the screeching at all anymore..unless im wrong and it something else..but its been a few days and haven't heard the noise...so I would think the alternator would have to be the problem.