1972 350 Hard Starter When Warmed Up

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2011, 04:33 AM

Question 1972 350 Hard Starter When Warmed Up

I was hoping someone out there would be able to have some advice on this one, about my 1972 Cutlass 350:

It's very rough to start when it's fully warmed up. No problem when it's cold or when it's fully warmed up and I try & start it within 5 minutes or so after shutting it off. However, if I shut it off and try & start it say , 15 minutes to a half hour later, it will not start unless I floor it and it then cranks too long in my view before it fires up. Even more un-nerving is the Generator light starts blinking just before it finally starts.

This is a 350 2 barrel, rebuilt with dual exhaust, and has the hidden Mallory e-Spark electronic ignition.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be a great birthday present for me today.

And,

Just wanted to wish you and yours a Happy Easter!
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Vapor lock?

Happy Easter!

- Eric
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:14 AM

I would check the float height. Sound like it may be flooding, being you have to put the pedal to the floor, but when cold it starts.
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Also take the air cleaner off, and make sure the chock is off when hot.May be closed a little.
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM

A pinhole in he fuel pump diaphram may be the cause.
It leaks down after the engine sits, effectivey siphoning the carb dry.
You could also have a heat-sink situation in the manifold, whereas the crossover is partially clogged, and the crap gets hotter after the engine sits warm, boiling the fuel out of the carb.

If it was me, the cheapest way to go woud be to put a one-way filter in the fuel line, and get 2-3 more base gaskets for the carb, acting like a heat shield.
You don't mention how hot the engine runs, but a 160 thermostat might solve a lot of problems, too.
You might also check your oil for fuel - internal leak on the carb.
Just had that on a '65 442.

Last edited by Rickman48; April 24th, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM

And if the above do not help, it could be the coil.
HAve a Happy B-day!
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Olds Nut

I had the same problem last year. I got the carb rebuilt and and never had any trouble since.
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM

Not sure the history of car. But in my case the PO did not rebuild the 2BBL carb correctly and to "fix" the poor performance of the carb adjusted the timing to compensate.

So, after I bought it I was chasing my tail trying figure out why it would run fine in certain situations and not in others.

I had the same starting conditions after a 15-20 minute heat soak occurred. But after I rebuilt the carb and adjusted the timing I was good to go.

d1
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Does the Mallory require a full 12v or does it need to be resisted down? My Mallory Uni-Lite was double resisted (original factory resistance wire and a ceramic ballast resistor in line with it) when I got the car and would do the same thing until I removed the 2nd resistor.

Other than that I'm thinking a poor ground or excessive resistance to the starter causing hard starting when hot and heat soaked. Have to have good grounds from body to chassis and body to engine
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
I was hoping someone out there would be able to have some advice on this one, about my 1972 Cutlass 350:

It's very rough to start when it's fully warmed up. No problem when it's cold or when it's fully warmed up and I try & start it within 5 minutes or so after shutting it off. However, if I shut it off and try & start it say , 15 minutes to a half hour later, it will not start unless I floor it and it then cranks too long in my view before it fires up. Even more un-nerving is the Generator light starts blinking just before it finally starts.

This is a 350 2 barrel, rebuilt with dual exhaust, and has the hidden Mallory e-Spark electronic ignition.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be a great birthday present for me today.

And,

Just wanted to wish you and yours a Happy Easter!

Don't know if this will apply to the 2 bbl but the 4bbl quadrajets would leak from the bottom of the bowl where the primary jets were located. We would clean them up and coat them with clear nail polish when rebuilding. It would cause the same situation you are describing though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4BBL.jpg (44.5 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by jerseyjoe; April 27th, 2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: update picture
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Tony

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
Don't know if this will apply to the 2 bbl but the 4bbl quadrajets would leak from the bottom of the bowl where the primary jets were located. We would clean them up and coat them with clear nail polish when rebuilding. It would cause the same situation you are describing though.
True if the fuel pump leaked it should still start with the fuel that is in the float bowl. I would say also that its the carb leaking fuel while sitting with the engine off therefore flooding the engine. Do a good rebuild on the carb and it should take care of it.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
GM Enthusiast

Lots of good advice here, did you find out what the problem is?
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:54 AM

All arrows are pointing to the direction of getting that carb rebuilt. This was a rebuilt motor & although the coloring on the carb looks great & would SEEM to indicate it's been gone through, I have no bills so I can't be sure. My thoughts are to remove it and if it is the original carb, get it rebuilt to handle today's gasolines. If it's not the original 2bl, I'll be shopping for a fresh one. No 4 barrel conversions here, this car needs to stay as original as I can keep it.

I'm after an economy not perrformance, as this car is horrible on gas. Sure would like to see 15 on the hwy
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
All arrows are pointing to the direction of getting that carb rebuilt. This was a rebuilt motor & although the coloring on the carb looks great & would SEEM to indicate it's been gone through, I have no bills so I can't be sure. My thoughts are to remove it and if it is the original carb, get it rebuilt to handle today's gasolines. If it's not the original 2bl, I'll be shopping for a fresh one. No 4 barrel conversions here, this car needs to stay as original as I can keep it.

I'm after an economy not perrformance, as this car is horrible on gas. Sure would like to see 15 on the hwy
Just a thought. I had a 2bbl on my 77 and got 12mg, changed to a 4bbl and got 14mg. Primary jets are smaller and as long as you can keep your foot out of it mileage should improve
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Jerseyjoe is correct, QJets give better economy due to the smaller primary bores than a 2GC (not the jets). But that is as long as you can stay out of those secondaries
Old May 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Jerseyjoe is correct, QJets give better economy due to the smaller primary bores than a 2GC (not the jets). But that is as long as you can stay out of those secondaries
Yes primary bores, my bad