1970 Cutlass Supreme 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2018, 10:24 AM

What rear axle ratio was ordered or came standard with the Supreme?
Old November 20th, 2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by vette442
Steve M. was telling me he had a buddy who was restoring an identical car. This one has the SD 3:08 posi per its build sheet.

Terry
LOL, that buddy is me. I've known Steve since we were kids. I think the car at the show would not have the QB engine though. That engine only came with 3:42 or 3:91's. you got she standard engine with 3:08's or auto
Old November 20th, 2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1970greensupreme
LOL, that buddy is me. I've known Steve since we were kids. I think the car at the show would not have the QB engine though. That engine only came with 3:42 or 3:91's. you got she standard engine with 3:08's or auto
Build sheet shows QB 350 and SD 3:08s....

Old November 20th, 2018, 05:55 PM

I stand corrected. I remember reading an article or somewhere here that QB code was late 1970 and only 4spd with 3:42 and higher. I have also heard there's only 500 or so examples originally made with this option for 70 only.
Old November 21st, 2018, 07:37 AM

This topic is very interesting to me since my particular car has a higher VIN number of 149424 compared to 141983. I too, assumed since my car was assembled in October 1969, that it would, by default, be a QV engine code. Seeing an earlier one with a QB is very interesting. Mine has the 7040250 carb, which many believe is an indicator of a QV code engine. Also, I don’t know what variances there were between assembly plants and when they started using certain parts. Mine is a Lansing car, which generally don’t have build sheets. The car has a fairly lopey idle, which the original owner of almost 49 years said it was always like that. Car has the M20 trans with 3.23:1 gears. What are the thoughts from the more knowledgeable and experienced members here on what engine mine likely has?

This document shows either a 250 or 253 carb with the 393859 camshaft being used on manual shift 350 engine for 1970. This is a tuning document from the spring of 1970.
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:54 AM

A window sticker from the now defunct Olds dealer in my town. Matson Olds Cadillac. I bought 3 used Oldsmobiles from there starting in 1976, when I bought my first nice car, and third Olds, a '70 Supreme SX. Cool to see.
Old November 21st, 2018, 07:53 PM
Alan Reedy

[QUOTE=vette442;1137443]I was stoked to come across this one at MCACN this weekend in the barn finds area. Was purchased from the original owner, and is a QB-code 350/M20 with tons of paperwork and history. The owner plans to pretty much leave it alone.

(I felt vindicated by the green sport wheel cap. There was an OCA master judge milling around at MCACN as a spectator. My judging team was trying to verify whether a '71 Sienna interior would have a Sienna horn cap or black cap (like all '72 sport wheels do, regardless of interior color). I told him the 1970 sport wheels had 4-5 available horn cap colors - gold, green, blue, brown - and he said in all his years he never saw one and that they didn't have color-keyed horn caps until the later Starfire sport wheels came out. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Mike the OCA master judge.... Sorry, I digress.)

LOL Terry, mine was Green in my SX as shown in the magazine article photos from over 30 years ago. Too funny.

Old May 5th, 2020, 05:43 PM

70 Supreme 4spd hardtop - NJ

Originally Posted by 70CS4speed
According to the GM heritage center, Oldsmobile produced 679 M20 wide ratio 4 speed equipped Cutlass Supremes and 203 M21 close ratio 4 speed equipped Supremes for the 1970 model year. Those numbers include both hardtops and convertibles. They don’t have a breakdown of how many of each. I’m curious what the survival rate is. I would love to see some of the others that are floating around out there.
I know this is an older thread, but I just came across it. Another one exists. I have a '70 4spd 350 2bbl car that I've owned since 2004. I'm trying to determine if it's an original 4-spd car or a transplant. I was under the car this weekend and took some pics of the numbers on the trans. I've figured out quickly that it's a Muncie but I have to determine which one (m20?). Maybe you can help me with this. Casting numbers on passenger side above the patent is 3925660 telling me it's a Muncie. The tailshaft has a casting of 3857584GM, I believe this means it's a 27-spline tailshaft w/ passenger-side mounted speedo. There is also a tag bolted to the driver's side of the trans (or maybe tailshaft, can't recall) of 952659WB stamped in it. I found a post on chevelle.com that said this specific number is a 1970 M20. I suppose this applies to Olds, too?

Judging by all the back-drive linkage it makes me think it's all original (who would dig all that up along with proper column and put it in place for a 4 spd transplant?). But according to sources I have, the Rochester 2GC carb number (7050156) I have came with an automatic trans. and it would've been 7050155 if manual. Again, not 100% sure if this original carb or not, but it is a valid 2 bbl carb for a 1970 Cutlass. The sticker on the oil filler neck is long gone so I don't know that code (i.e, Q?), the distributor was transplanted with an HEI before I bought it, so I don't have an original distributor number. I replaced the gas tank and didn't find a build sheet, nor under back seat which was recovered with cheapo seat covers. So it was either lost or never there (car was assembled in Lansing).

Is there any other way to determine if this car originally came with this 4spd trans? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by bruizer; September 28th, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old February 5th, 2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by bruizer
I know this is an older thread, but I just came across it. Another one exists. I have a '70 4spd 350 2bbl car that I've owned since 2004. I'm trying to determine if it's an original 4-spd car or a transplant. I was under the car this weekend and took some pics of the numbers on the trans. I've figured out quickly that it's a Muncie but I have to determine which one (m20?). Maybe you can help me with this. Casting numbers on passenger side above the patent is 3925660 telling me it's a Muncie. The tailshaft has a casting of 3857584GM, I believe this means it's a 27-spline tailshaft w/ passenger-side mounted speedo. There is also a tag bolted to the driver's side of the trans (or maybe tailshaft, can't recall) of 952659WB stamped in it. I found a post on chevelle.com that said this specific number is a 1970 M20. I suppose this applies to Olds, too?

Judging by all the back-drive linkage it makes me think it's all original (who would dig all that up along with proper column and put it in place for a 4 spd transplant?). But according to sources I have, the Rochester 2GC carb number (7050156) I have came with an automatic trans. and it would've been 7050155 if manual. Again, not 100% sure if this original carb or not, but it is a valid 2 bbl carb for a 1970 Cutlass. The sticker on the oil filler neck is long gone so I don't know that code (i.e, Q?), the distributor was transplanted with an HEI before I bought it, so I don't have an original distributor number. I replaced the gas tank and didn't find a build sheet, nor under back seat which was recovered with cheapo seat covers. So it was either lost or never there (car was assembled in Lansing).

Is there any other way to determine if this car originally came with this 4spd trans? Any help would be appreciated.
I know your response was over six months ago, but I saw you were online yesterday, so... better late than never?

The VIN is stamped on the side of the transmission case and should match the car and engine.

If it looks like someone took a torch and cut a big hole for the shifter in the floor pan, that is factory too.

Post some pics of your car!

Pat

Old February 5th, 2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddy
I know your response was over six months ago, but I saw you were online yesterday, so... better late than never?

The VIN is stamped on the side of the transmission case and should match the car and engine.

If it looks like someone took a torch and cut a big hole for the shifter in the floor pan, that is factory too.

Post some pics of your car!

Pat
Hey, thanks for responding...you helped me figure this out! I found the trans serial number on the passenger side of the main case. I didn't know it was supposed to match the VIN. Here's my numbers....

VIN = 342570M166149

3 = Oldsmobile Division of GM
42 = Cutlass Supreme V8
57 = 2 door hardtop coupe
0 = Model year (1970)
M = Lansing, MI Assembly Plant
166149 = Production number (sequential)

Muncie serial number = 30M166149
3 = Oldsmobile Division of GM
0 = Model year (1970)
M = Lansing, MI Assembly Plant
166149 = Production number (sequential)

The sequential portion and year code match, which seals the deal...my car originally came with this muncie 4 spd! Thanks for the pointer....for your reward you get a few pics!

Old February 9th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Nice, looks real good. Glad I could help out. What other options do you have, buckets, console A/C?

Pat

Old February 12th, 2021, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddy
Nice, looks real good. Glad I could help out. What other options do you have, buckets, console A/C?

Pat
two tone paint, originally Astro blue with a white painted top (not vinyl), medium blue strato buckets with console, power drum brakes, power steering, ac (not working, no compressor). Got it back in 2004 from a guy in Md that got it off eBay from AZ. It’s overall a solid car, but needs a repaint and interior. Not a show car but It’s been a good driver for me, love rowing through the gears!