Vista Cruiser Sway Bar R&R

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2017, 04:10 PM

Vista Cruiser Sway Bar R&R

Bunch of questions here...

My 72 VC needs some new end links and bushings for the factory front sway bar. Only 60k original miles on it, and all original hardware. It's a 350 - does anyone know what the diameter on the stock sway bar is? Is it 7/8"? I'm not at home atm, but I'm not real confident that I can accurately measure the in place sway bar with a ruler anyway.

Some folks have upgraded to a larger front sway bar (1 3/8"?). It's not like the rubber/hardware is that expensive, but should I just upgrade the OEM front sway bar while I'm at it, rather than simply replacing the stock rubber and coming back to it later?

Also been reading that a lot of folks are investing in a rear 1" sway bar as well. Thoughts? Are these just bolt-on, or do I need to drill anything?

I drive pretty conservatively, but I do take the VC on long drives into the mountains with the wife and kids, so I imagine I'd see an improvement either way.

Thanks,

John
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Follow up questions would be if there are any recommendations for the particular products? Hellwig seems popular, but maybe there's something cheaper out there?
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:17 PM

You could measure the diameter by sliding an open end wrench over it, the snuggest fit will be in the ballpark. Not precision measuring but close enough for this situation.
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

The stock front bar on your VC is 1" diameter. A popular (and relatively inexpensive) upgrade is to use the 1.25" front bar from a second gen WS6 Trans Am. You need to use the T/A end links and mounting bushings also. Installing a rear bar requires you to swap out your stock rear lower control arms for boxed versions (as used on all A-body cars with rear bars) or weld the boxing plates (available as reproductions) to your existing arms. The boxing serves two purposes. It prevents the rear sway bar bolts from distorting the lower control arms and it stiffens the arms so deflections don't negate the effect of adding the rear bar.
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:26 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the great info, both of you. I didn't think of measuring the diameter with a box wrench.

And based on your reply, Joe, sounds like the WS6 front components are a good, inexpensive option for me. I'll likely pass on the rear sway bar for now until I do a resto. But if I happen to see some for sale here, what year boxed control arms do I want for the rear?

Thanks a bunch,

John
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:32 PM

And sorry, forgive my ignorance, but what years WS6 will be compatible with my 72? And do you recommend only going with the WS6 bar if I get the rear sway bar? (I saw another of your posts)
Old October 25th, 2017, 05:23 AM

70-81 Trans Am WS6. Get the front bar either way if you're going through the trouble. It will make a significant impact on handling.
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

As I've posted previously, the A-body cars are understeering pigs from the factory. Handling guru Herb Adams would set these up with a larger rear bar than front to make the car more neutral. Having said that, my personal experience with the VC is that the rearward weight bias tends to make these understeer less than the coupes, so the larger rear bar isn't as much of an issue here. The rear lower control arms are dimensionally the same on all 64-72 A-body cars.
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Gary

My experience has been the same as Joe stated. My VC had less understeer than my 1970 4-4-2.

A 1" rear bar made the VC nearly neutral-handling.
Old October 25th, 2017, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the great info, guys!

-John
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:26 AM

I didn't think getting the parts for the front sway bar would be so confusing - I found the WS6 front sway bar, and I can find poly bushings and end links, but I can't find rubber ones. Seems like I need around 4 1/2" length end links, based on the poly component descriptions. Anyone have product numbers I could use for rubber components? I've tried rockauto, walmart, summitracing...

Thanks,

John
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by frozencaveman
I didn't think getting the parts for the front sway bar would be so confusing - I found the WS6 front sway bar, and I can find poly bushings and end links, but I can't find rubber ones. Seems like I need around 4 1/2" length end links, based on the poly component descriptions. Anyone have product numbers I could use for rubber components? I've tried rockauto, walmart, summitracing...

Thanks,

John
The factory parts were poly, not rubber.
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:58 AM

LOL - OK, that totally makes sense. Do I need to keep them greased?
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:38 PM

Got all my parts in this week and it took just under an hour to remove the old sway bar (no rusted bolts) and install the new hardware. Took it for a test drive and OMG that's one of my best investments ever. About $150 for the WS6 sway bar, Prothane end links, MAS frame bushings (Summit's frame bushings included billet mounts for $130 - no thanks), and some Prothane grease that I spread on all the contact points (except bushing to frame).

Took it for a spin and the difference was amazing. Thanks for everyone's input! Looking forward to my next upgrade!

-JP

P.S. I went with 24 ft lbs torque on the frame bushing bolts and 13 ft lbs on the end link nuts. Sound about right? I used specs for a 72 Camaro.