Power Steering Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2017, 05:48 PM

Power Steering Reservoir

I am wondering if anyone has experience using a baffled power steering reservoir? I have a hydroboost system for brakes on my Cutlass and the power steering pump is making sounds that would indicate that is is going to fail. I have a March serpentine system so the pump and reservoir are their products. I think that the pump is going due to the power steering fluid have alot of air in it. Does any one make a tank that you can buy off of the shelf or do you need to get one made? I have also heard that I should run two return lines and use a larger diameter outlet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
March Power Steering res.jpg (251.5 KB, 13 views)
PS Res Engine Bay Location.jpg (306.5 KB, 14 views)
Hydro Boost Installed 2.jpg (337.4 KB, 14 views)
Old December 17th, 2017, 04:40 PM

I haven't seen a baffled reservoir but I've heard several people have similar issues with hydroboost setups.

You might consider posting your issue on pro-touring.com as there seem later to be many over there using hydroboost.
Old December 17th, 2017, 05:27 PM

PSC Reservoir

Originally Posted by Lsx442
I haven't seen a baffled reservoir but I've heard several people have similar issues with hydroboost setups.

You might consider posting your issue on pro-touring.com as there seem later to be many over there using hydroboost.
I have since resolved the issue. March actually suggested this firm and their products when using a Hydroboost system in conjunction with their serpentine belt products. It is on the car and working well. I pulled the cap while the engine was running and there is very little turbulence in the fluid. The system has separate returns for the PS pump and the hydroboost. As well it has a filter within the reservoir. Using either the brakes or steering no longer results in funny sound coming from the PS pump. I was able to install it where I had the March unit but had to both turn and raise the battery to get it to all fit.We will see how it works over the long run but so far so good. I am sure that other folks who are running a roller valve train have to run the hydroboost as the taller valve covers cause clearance issues with the factory vacuum booster. If they tee the two returns together due to a single return inlet on the reservoir then they will likely run into the same issue due to air in the PS fluid..
Attached Images
PSC Res 1.jpg (227.7 KB, 10 views)
PSC Res 2.jpg (238.5 KB, 10 views)
PSC Res 3.jpg (237.2 KB, 10 views)