Internal Spring Compressor Recomendation

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2017, 04:37 PM

Internal Spring Compressor Recomendation

Hi Gents: Need to rebuild my 66 Olds Delta 88 Front End and I would appreciate recommendation of a spring compresor suitable for the Job (brand, type, etc.) . I understand they might be able to go through the hole in the Lower Control Arm for the application unlike the Kent-Moore tool used in the CSM. I am located abroad and needs to be ship from USA so I have to do it right the first time!. Thanks as always. Raul.
Old July 27th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Olds Fever

Here is one type to use from the inside of the spring...

Amazon Amazon

Old July 28th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have that compressor with the hooks. It is very difficult to get up inside the spring. I was able to score one of the factory Burroughs Tool compressors that goes up through the upper shock hole in the frame, as shown in the CSM. These are MUCH better, but hard to find. There are generic versions available.

Old July 28th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Administrator

To be honest, I've never used a spring compressor with stock springs and have managed to do it safely many times with a floor jack by lowering and raising the lower control arm.
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
To be honest, I've never used a spring compressor with stock springs and have managed to do it safely many times with a floor jack by lowering and raising the lower control arm.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work if the engine isn't in the car.

I'll also add that if you use the tool and process in the CSM, you bolt up the ball joint first, then use the compressor to get the inboard end of the control arm in place. Now that I have the Burroughs tool, this is actually MUCH easier that the other way. The problem with trying to install the spring with the inboard end of the LCA attached first is that it requires the spring to bend somewhat since the LCA pivots down and away from the spring. Getting the upper end of the spring over the pilot inside the frame is difficult. The CSM method avoids all this.
Old July 30th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Use a chain to go through the bottom of the spring and control arm, loop around to the highest point without going into the frame and use a come along hooked to the other side. This will keep it in the pocket while you lower it with a jack. Same thing when you're ready to install. Even though it's out of the pocket while you're jacking it up, tighten the come along to bring it close to the pocket while you're jacking it up. May have to use a mallet to get it into the pocket, but it won't pop out on you. I don't use the spring compressors because there's no good way to load or unload them enough.
Old July 30th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Use a chain to go through the bottom of the spring and control arm, loop around to the highest point without going into the frame and use a come along hooked to the other side. This will keep it in the pocket while you lower it with a jack. Same thing when you're ready to install. Even though it's out of the pocket while you're jacking it up, tighten the come along to bring it close to the pocket while you're jacking it up. May have to use a mallet to get it into the pocket, but it won't pop out on you. I don't use the spring compressors because there's no good way to load or unload them enough.
How does this help get the top of the spring into the upper spring pocket in the frame? That's the fundamental problem.
Old July 30th, 2017, 05:29 PM

I place the spring in the upper pocket first. Then move the control arm with a jack under it to hold it in place. Then draw the come along which is attached to the other side of the car, in so it pulls the spring into its pocket on the control arm. Are the Deltas not designed that way? Without pictures, this kinda sucks to explain.
Old August 9th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Hi Gents: Thanks as always for the insight, I think I will go with Joe tool, I manage to find it in Amazon, its expensive u$s180, made by OTC in USA has many ++ reviews plus Joe's experience are enough for me, also it works the same way as the CSM process. Best regards. Raul