Budget Lowering Springs or Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2017, 08:37 PM

Cool Budget Lowering Springs or Coilovers

I am looking for budget options for lowering springs or coilovers for a 1984 Delta 88. Preferably something that will give me a decent drop like 2-3", I am on a bit of a tight budget some cheap is better. I know I could cut my springs but I'd rather do it the right way and the safe way.

So my question is what are my options for brands? interchangeability with newer model years? What price point am I looking at? What will give me the best bang for my buck?
Old June 13th, 2017, 09:31 AM

Just my thoughts.
Any kind of coilover will be expensive. 1k in the rear and 1k+ in front so cheap is not part of that lexicon.
You have a mid-size platform in that Delta which means oddball in the aftermarket world. I doubt you'll find any ready made kits for it so that means fabricating something yourself. I have no doubt finding a shock and coilover setup can be had from many suppliers but you would have to do the leg work. I'm sure they would all be happy to help you out and give advice.
You have several things to deal with. Overall shock extended length, minimum length and coilover spring rate, mounting end arrangements, etc.
I've only dealt with Viking and I know their line is extensive but there are several other manufacturers too. QA1, etc.

If you want cheap then have your original springs cut down with a cut off saw or wheel. I can't comment on how much to cut off to get to 2-3 inch drop but that can be Googled. Also remember that you'll have to change the shocks out to match the overall and minimum length after the drop.
Old June 13th, 2017, 04:45 PM

This would need to be investigated further to confirm if it is true or not but someone once told me that the suspension components all the way up to the 91-96 Caprice/Impala can work in an 80-85 Delta 88.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:22 AM

Cheapest way: cut a coil, it should lower the car 2-3 inches. And it actually makes the car handle better, by stiffening up the coils.
Next: New, lowering springs. May be difficul;t to find the right ones, as your car is not a popular one for modification. A really GOOD spring place should be able to advise. Problem usually is: it will be lower, as advertised, than it was in new, stock condition. NOT lower than it is now, with worn coils.
Coilovers: Not recommended, IMHO. I'm sure the manufacturer will help you find the right ones (maybe!), but you also have to figure out how to reinforce the shock mounting brackets to now support the weight of the car. Normal shock brackets do NOT! They just have enough strength to support the shock, which only dampens the recoil action of the springs.
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hipster84Olds
I am looking for budget options for lowering springs or coilovers for a 1984 Delta 88. Preferably something that will give me a decent drop like 2-3", I am on a bit of a tight budget some cheap is better. I know I could cut my springs but I'd rather do it the right way and the safe way.

So my question is what are my options for brands? interchangeability with newer model years? What price point am I looking at? What will give me the best bang for my buck?

As said before finding what you're looking for on a budget will not be easy because of your particular vehicle. Most guys lowering these cars are using Air Ride or springs. If the late model B body parts offered up are not an option call Eaton Detroit Spring, they can make lowering springs based on the specs of the original springs.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/coil-springs/

As mentioned above, the springs will be shorter than stock ride height not the ones you have now...

Chris
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by car_designer
This would need to be investigated further to confirm if it is true or not but someone once told me that the suspension components all the way up to the 91-96 Caprice/Impala can work in an 80-85 Delta 88.

Does anyone know if this is true?
This is true. Any Impala stuff works. I used Eibach springs on my Custom Cruiser. Same Springs are now on my 96 Federal Cadillac hearse.
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by csouth
As said before finding what you're looking for on a budget will not be easy because of your particular vehicle. Most guys lowering these cars are using Air Ride or springs. If the late model B body parts offered up are not an option call Eaton Detroit Spring, they can make lowering springs based on the specs of the original springs.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/coil-springs/

As mentioned above, the springs will be shorter than stock ride height not the ones you have now...

Chris
I bought a set of brand new lowering springs off Craigslist for $150. I would call that cheap. Even $300ish retail isn't bad.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
I bought a set of brand new lowering springs off Craigslist for $150. I would call that cheap. Even $300ish retail isn't bad.
I'm not saying that they can't be found for a deal, but I'm sure the availability its not like A body parts.
Old August 29th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Royale Brougham w/ Cheese

Originally Posted by The Stickman
This is true. Any Impala stuff works. I used Eibach springs on my Custom Cruiser. Same Springs are now on my 96 Federal Cadillac hearse.
How much drop did you do?