1967 CS Holiday Coupe

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2019, 06:24 AM

1967 CS Holiday Coupe

I am in the process of rebuilding the front suspension for my 1967 CS Holiday Coupe. Every ball joint and every bushing was shot. I was originally planning to cleanup, powder coat, and put back the original parts. However, I am having great difficulty getting the original springs back in place. I am unable to lift the car high enough nor am I able to compress the springs enough to get the old springs back into their perches. So, I started looking at Coil Overs, If I use Coil Overs, what spring rate should I be looking for (this will never be an autocross car, just a fun cruiser.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for getting the original springs back in place. The device I can rent from O'Riley's that goes through the center of the spring will not fit back through the hole in my lower A-Arm (no to mention it scares me a lot). The device I can rent from O'Riley's that compresses from the outside seems much more stable but it is meant for Macpherson Struts and the threaded posts impact the perches. I've thought about using the strut compressor and then using tie down straps to hold the spring while I put it in place but all that pent up energy scares me and I'm not confident the cams and gears in the tie down can handle the strain.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I just use a floor jack under the lower control arm and make sure the springs are clocked right in the pocket as it goes together.
Old July 16th, 2019, 11:35 AM

When putting "heavier" springs I had a local spring shop "compress and band" them. Treat them as a live grenade. Ha ha, not that fragile but take care. Button everything up, cut the bands.
Old July 17th, 2019, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
When putting "heavier" springs I had a local spring shop "compress and band" them. Treat them as a live grenade. Ha ha, not that fragile but take care. Button everything up, cut the bands.
That is a great idea!

Thanks!
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:32 AM

Well, I did something that everyone considered to be too dangerous.

I could not get the car high enough in my liftless garage to compress the spring with the A-Arms via hydraulics. I could not use the spring suppressors that I could borrow from the Auto Parts store. I was unable to find a shop in my area willing to compress and strap the springs and let me bring them home.

So, I purchased a pair of heavy duty ratcheting tie down straps from Harbor freight. I wrapped one strap twice around one side of the spring (avoiding the top and bottom rungs of the spring) and ratcheted it down as tight as I could by hand. This effectively made a shallow "C" out of the spring which allowed me to get the spring into the upper and lower perches and then use hydraulics to complete the compression. I fully expected to have to cut the tie down strap. However, after full compression and getting my spindle in place, I was able to release the strap and remove it without cutting. So, I still have usable tie downs for some other project.

I'm not sure I would recommend this for anyone else but it did work for me with no issues. However, this is just one more reason I need a lift for future projects.