The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Craziest ebay post ever

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Craziest ebay post ever

I think this rates as the craziest post I have ever seen on ebay. This guy is out of his friggin mind. Be sure and read the questions at the end. What a nutbag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:25 AM

This guy has been watching way too much television.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Olds fanatic

These kind of posts always make me wonder. First of all, at that asking price it is likely to be for sale for a long time. So since you have this much time, you might as well (as was suggested in the responses) rebuild and install the "correct" engine. Also, considering the asking price, would it not be worth hiring a professional photographer to take some good, quality and meaningful shots of the car?
And, this should go without saying, if you're going to price a car this high based on a claim of some incredibly low production numbers, you should:
1) expect a lot of flack
2) do more homework on production numbers. How hard can it be to authenticate production numbers on a '67 Vette. There should be at least 1,864,000 Vette experts in the car hobby.
3) if you have the tank sticker, why wouldn't you show it?
4) although he did ask for anyone knowing of another car "exactly" like this one, I still think he is way too definitive and emphatic about this being "the only one ever built". Unless one has concrete proof of this, I would suggest a little more flexibility. i.e. "After exhaustive research, I have yet to find documentation of another Vette with this original configuration", etc... And please, the main configuration is what is important...driveline, color, a/c. The fact that it was ordered "without PS, PB, PW" and has an am/fm and tinted windows is entirely irrelevant.

Just my thoughts...I think he'll have this car for awhile longer.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Oldsdruid

You're dealing with super-**** Corvette mentality. Ordered "without" PS, PW, PB AND NO: SIDE PIPE EXHAUST SYSTEM sounds like the vast majority of midyear Corvettes produced to me. And the money he wants for a car sans original engine? cat has fell out of his froot-loops tree. But it's Corvette-world, which often tends to be far from real-world.

It's like these guys who load their car up with options the car did not come with during its restoration. People who were not around in those times have trouble with the concept of options. They're so used to modern cars, even cheap cars, coming with every option under the sun that they can't or more likely won't understand that a highly optioned car was very unusual back then. Except for a luxury marque such as Cadillac or Lincoln, a loaded car was a hard sell from dealer stock because most buyers didn't want all that stuff and didn't want to pay the extra money. A Corvette being a high-performance car, most people didn't want it anyway as it added weight and detracted from performance.

Kinda like a fully loaded W30. What is the point? Somebody loads one up with options, it shows me he doesn't have a clue what these cars were all about.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Trying to remember member

Contrary to popular lore, fools and money are not always parted, regardless of timetables.........
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
car guy

Thanks!! I needed a good laugh..
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
"me somebody" site member

All kinds of idiots in the classic car hobby. I see nothing particularly remarkable about that Ebay example. Just one more cry for attention from a member of a group (i.e. car people) where its fashionable to do so. As far as I'm concerned, the idiots lining up to fall for the bait he's laid out are far worse.

EVERYONE likes to think their car is special, and their knowledge and perspective on their car is "speshul" as well. When its not true, they lie about it, exaggerate, beat their chest, etc etc. Whatever it takes so everyone will "look at me". Nearly everyone here is guilty of that to some degree or another, including me. Though they'll lie to themselves and try to convince their wives, friends, anyone who'll lilsten how THEIR interest in cars is pure and virtuous.

Sinners.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:11 AM

Thumbs up

"Let his knitted brow be a caution to us."
Very well said! I really needed a good laugh today. Thank you!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM

The Corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY has one just like it or almost like it. Unless that was his car. I stood and drooled over it for a while before moving to the next one.

Not saying he doesn't have a nice car he does. I don't think it is anything any more special then any other Corvette from the same year.

With that money just think of how many Olds you could buy.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Moment Member

Yeah, this Vette is worth at the most 1 Million. Not a penny more!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Richard - I am glad I could give you a good laugh because I know you need one right now.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM

Believe it or not,

I am speachless
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM

1.8million+?? What a bargain for a car with no motor...
Make me wonder what my mom's old Pinto is worth - she speacially ordered it stripped, down to the "lighter delete credit" option... I bet it is the only one in the world, too!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I wonder what my 71 cutlass supreme conv. is worth. I mean it was option down to a bench seat and a 2bl carb. I always figured it would be worth less not a million or two more. Live and learn.
Larry
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
71CutlassConvertible

That is the car i've been looking for!!!!! I'd pay that in a heartbeat if i hadn't made that deal with my wife. You know, buy his and hers. Well, thats out---- being its only 1 of kind. She won't let me.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
1.8million+?? What a bargain for a car with no motor...
Make me wonder what my mom's old Pinto is worth - she speacially ordered it stripped, down to the "lighter delete credit" option... I bet it is the only one in the world, too!

Since its not a vette. I would say 987,654.32

That's only if its in the best condition.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM

i like his response to the 1 of 1 all are cars are 1of 1 per his thoughts . He cant put the stock motor back in or he would lose his 1 of 1 claims
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM

I had a NCRS corvette....(Not Correctly Restored Sports car). It was fun, but the build quality wasn't as good as the Olds.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I could use some of his action:

I have a slightly used 72 Cutlass that has a lot of options that are not installed, but could be for the right price?

Anyone seriously interested? The starting price is way more affordable: Lets say $1,500,000.72 If you have a no haggle policy, I'll knock off the .72 and personally deliver the car to you with all the boxes of parts you need to finish what I started. When you're done, you'll have the most unique and well equipped stock 72 Cutlass S in the WORLD. It is the ONLY car in the world that will be built with these options, and the only one in the world with the exact paint color that no one else will have. Although the interior will be black naughahyde, it will be unique with a blend of special aromas that no other car in the world will have. Oh yes, this car will have the factory original engine still installed using the only mounting system in the world approved by Oldsmobile for this particular car.

Take my word for it, because there's just no other way you will believe your good luck to have waltzed me out of a fabulous car for such little coin.

Oooooohhhh, the sweet pain of $$$$ falling into my hands!!!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
GM Enthusiast

:d:d:d:d
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM

That's the problem with shaking the money tree...sometimes just the nuts fall off.