The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Quick trip to Paradise

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2018, 08:23 AM

Quick trip to Paradise

The authorities have been letting people back in to Paradise for a few days and I thought I might take a look at a few people's place of business I know.Just devastating, I wasn't really ready for the compilation of the destruction of not one of the business survived.

I traveled full length of the effected area(about 12 miles) and most everything was burnt and almost unrecognizable. I could get lost in a area that I have grew up in for 70 years. Burned out cars were everywhere and it It looked much like a war zone. Occasionally a house would stand out not burnt while their neighbors all around were ashes. No apparent reason why one burnt and another didn't, fire acts in strange ways sometimes.

My favorite Chinese restaurant was closed but survived . No gas, electricity or clientele. hopefully they will make it through these tough times.I didn't take my camera but I'm sure you have seen many hours of film on the news. It will take years before Paradise will become it's namesake again if ever....... Tedd
Old December 22nd, 2018, 02:09 PM
Olds Fever

I truly can't phantom what goes through your mind when seeing a piece of your life long history be devastated as it was... I feel for your loss and hope that Paradise will rebuild in some fashion of resemblance to your past...
Old December 22nd, 2018, 04:35 PM

A lot worse than Fort McMurray!
Old December 23rd, 2018, 05:55 AM

Glad you're Ok Tedd
Old January 6th, 2019, 07:03 PM

Tedd,

I think of Paradise each day now, since the fire-storm. We were affected up here in Redding in a similar fashion where the fires wiped out the community of Keswick.
Normally we only see the panic of escape in the movies. It is still hard to imagine how swiftly that fire moved through the community. All conditions were ripe for the flames to move quickly pre-heating everything in it's path like our oxy / acet torches when cutting. Blow the flame sideways and it is an instant inferno.
Hey, you may have heard something about this: I was told by a logger that one of the logging companies did extensive clearing around the community of Sterling City. And the rumor up here in Redding, is that Sterling City did not burn.
Castles of yesteryear had a defensive-space. And I have been doing a lot of thinking on this. Do communities need to begin considering some sort of open-defensible-space, to be able to attack the fire or to at least Slow the Fire ?
When we look around us, there are communities which are just as vulnerable as Paradise. I remember when Grass Valley had a big fire 35-years ago.
Do we need to somehow "modernize" our way of thinking and pay to have our utilities placed underground to rid ourselves of the maze of Overhead lines ?
And, do communities need to reconsider the importance of thick overhead tree canopies ? _ _ _ so many things to consider.
Would we be smart to start thinking about constructing homes with masonry walls instead of wood-framing ?

I'll bet that one of the First items of consideration of escape routes is to do some road and bridge Widening. The local agency planners will be busy with how to solve the escape routing and widths so as to not conflict with placement of structures to be rebuilt. It is somewhat mind-boggling.

Len
Old January 7th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Sterling City was mostly saved because of the strong North wind that kept the fire South/ West of town. There isn't a fire brake that could have saved that town should it get started with the 60 MPH winds that came with it. Embers were jumping 200-300 yards ahead of the flames and it made making a stand impossible till the Forest Service could get major resources on the site. Sterling City like my place was just lucky the wind blew the right way. The last fire that was near my house left perfect oak leafs that were on my deck that were pure carbon and the fire was almost a mile from my house.

I'm relieved it's all over, you couldn't start a fire with napalm right now as there is about 3 inches of new snow on the deck, welcome site....... Tedd