The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Heatwave in the North east

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2018, 12:48 PM

Heatwave in the North east

This heat is insane. I don't know how you boys & girls in the south deal with it. Working in it Thursday & Friday I thought I'd finish it Saturday but I was to exhausted to leave the house until late Saturday afternoon. So I went to the shop to install the Speedminder speedo I got last week. It was actually cooler in the baked garage than out of the sun. Minder didn't work, I have to see if I put the wire in the wrong slot.

Yesterday I took the Cutlass for an 80 mile run. Went to my sisters to install a breaker for her pool pump. The sweat just poured off me like a water fall. Then got another call from my other sister that here AC was dripping through the ceiling. Just when I though my morning sucked. Had to be well over 130 in that attic. Just as I though, both drip pans were full and overflowing. Blew the line out and all was good.

Stopped for some cigars on Rt. 17 on the way back home, and took GW lower level. Much cooler. When I got home I passed out again.

Today sucked just as bad. Was glad to finish early and no intention of going on to the next job.

Hope this ends soon or I'm relocating to the North Pole until summer is over. Even the Adirondacks is in on this heat wave.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Its been 100-103 here the past few days and it hasn't rained for a while. I can hear my lawn yelling heeeeeelp me.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:02 PM

Put some Clorox in the drip pan to kill the algae
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:05 PM
delete

Went to the Yankee game Sunday night. 8:00PM 1st pitch & it was still 86 degrees.

That being said, I'll take it. I can't stand the cold.

All my friends thought I was crazy for prioritizing working AC when I bought my car.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:08 PM
delete

Originally Posted by zeeke

Then got another call from my other sister that here AC was dripping through the ceiling.
Stop by my Mom's. Her AC was sitting in the middle of the living room but not installed. I said let me take care of that. She said she didn't think she needed it. I told her let me get it going just in case.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 03:41 PM

Heat and humidity suck if you're not used to it. I grew up on the Gulf Coast with year round humidity and high-90º summers and just thought that was the way things were everywhere.

Then I moved to Phoenix.

Last week we had an Arizona cold front - the temperature dropped down to 105.
Later this week it will be up to 114 again.

I miss the humidity and 90º temps.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 04:24 PM

Guys I get it, been here in Dallas from Milwaukee since 75. After all this time, never got used to the heat in the summer time-work with it. Fact is, if it wasn't for the invention of A/C there would never have been the migration of millions of people from the North moving South. I can say that- I can get through the hot summer time much easier (age factor I guess) than freezing my butt of in the winter-spring for months. In the North, it's cloudy most of the time, cabin fever sets in, people get depressed over it, can't wrench much on and on? My brothers come down in the winter and visit. One is coming down in three weeks and knows there is plenty of 32 degree beer and A/C and can come indoors to 70 degrees if it gets too warm for him. Our fall through early summer is gorgeous. On average there's over 100 thousand people a YEAR just moving to the North Texas-Dallas Forth Worth area. There is a lot of other reasons for this but overall pool/spa season is a lot longer!! NO state income taxes either....
Old July 2nd, 2018, 04:32 PM

In Michigan - Back in early/mid April had a few lows in the teens with some snow...............
Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:29 PM

X2 -Del70, I delivered the morning news paper in late April-May in snow. Get this-AND there's still plenty of land!! Actually there's shortage of houses, new and used in North Texas. You don't normally make an "offer" in some cases you get on a bid list...This has been the norm for a while. Come on down!!
Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:48 PM
Administrator

No it sucks here in Texas, you don't want to move here...
Old July 2nd, 2018, 07:19 PM

A good friend of mine decided to move to San Antonio from Red Oak. Put a sign out his 3500 sq ft home was for sale. Had an offer of 450K before the week was over. Sure hate to lose him to moving, he owned the car trailer.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 07:22 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
No it sucks here in Texas, you don't want to move here...

Ditto!
Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:08 PM
same but different

We're running about six or seven degrees above daily normal since May. Thankfully, we've been getting rain about every seven days or so, give or take. I've had to water the garden a few times but its producing nicely.
The temps really zap you from doing the things you want to do. The weather is one of those things you can't change no matter how hard you wish you could.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:24 PM

Hot here in Indiana. Been running for this dumb race my friend made me train for. Rained out today.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Stop by my Mom's. Her AC was sitting in the middle of the living room but not installed. I said let me take care of that. She said she didn't think she needed it. I told her let me get it going just in case.
It's amazing, I have ductless AC throughout my house and my mother-in-law was over the other day with the kids. When I walked in the house was like an oven. I asked her how she could stay in the house like this? Close the doors and windows and turn on the AC, she replied it's not so bad. I get it I grew up in the 70's when AC around these parts was a luxury item, but it's in the house to use. Old habits die hard I guess.

Jamesbo I thought of the Clorox but forgot when I came out of the attic. I'll mention it to my sister. Thanks.

Eric I can't see anything being worse than Jersey, that coming from a NY wise a$$. Had a shack in Tuckerton before Sandy, after not so much. Oh well, taxes where insane and it began to get over populated so maybe it was for the best. Yes, I remember seeing in a post you originally lived in NJ.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Heat and humidity suck if you're not used to it. I grew up on the Gulf Coast with year round humidity and high-90º summers and just thought that was the way things were everywhere.

Then I moved to Phoenix.

Last week we had an Arizona cold front - the temperature dropped down to 105.
Later this week it will be up to 114 again.

I miss the humidity and 90º temps.

I was born & raised here in Indy & am used to the punishment of our heat/humidity. We were at the Olds. Nationals in Albuquerque last year & the lack of humidity was FANTASTIC. I've encountered that before but it is always great to experience it again. I didn't mind the 100 degree heat in the direct sun at all. Then in the late afternoon it was about perfect with a light breeze. If we didn't have kids to come back to, the wife & I would have stayed there.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I was born & raised here in Indy & am used to the punishment of our heat/humidity. We were at the Olds. Nationals in Albuquerque last year & the lack of humidity was FANTASTIC. I've encountered that before but it is always great to experience it again. I didn't mind the 100 degree heat in the direct sun at all. Then in the late afternoon it was about perfect with a light breeze. If we didn't have kids to come back to, the wife & I would have stayed there.
Yeah the wife and I fell in love with the low humidity after living on the Gulf Coast marsh areas for 30+ years.
With the low humidity it's great up til about 105º but that's the top of my "tolerable limit". When it gets to 110 and above it's just too dang hot, even in the shade (if you can find some). We're now getting into the part of summer where the overnight low is in the 90s - this morning on my drive in to work it was 91 already. Yuk.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:27 AM
71 cutlass convertible

It is too hot right now here in Md. I run a nursery where we have to work outside. I am sending my workers home around 2:30 right now. Have no desire to call an ambulance for someone. I will stay until 5 in the office in case someone comes in.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Wow, its only 98... Its 102 here in Mayberry, I guess we get used to it as a regular occurance.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Correction, its 105 now. Got a car show tonight.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 06:02 PM

Talking

ohhh, come now ladies-----what'sa little sunshine & humidity.

keep in mind --"you don't have to shovel heat"

dal442
Old July 3rd, 2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Correction, its 105 now.
It was 112 on my drive home this evening. Supposed to get a few degrees hotter over the next several days.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Went to the Yankee game Sunday night. 8:00PM 1st pitch & it was still 86 degrees.

That being said, I'll take it. I can't stand the cold.

All my friends thought I was crazy for prioritizing working AC when I bought my car.
Sunday afternoon supposed to feel like 105*-110*, so my girlfriend and I went to the NY Aquarium by Coney Island to see the big talk about the new shark tank that's built like walk thru tunnel. Walking on the boardwalk wasn't as hot as walking in the streets. You get that nice ocean breeze. Me and my girlfriend had a better breeze by riding on the Cyclone.

X2, I can't stand the cold. I'll deal with the humidity.
Old July 4th, 2018, 04:31 AM

here in saratoga temps been in the high 90s with heat index topping off at 108 .ive never seen the dew point at 76 degrees like it was sunday.been a tough stretch ,last night packed the camper for our annual camping trip, gonna be brutal sleeping tonight with no ac!!,have a break in the weather coming friday but it will bring severe storms with it .cant change the weather so i guess we will have to roll with it have a safe and happy 4th everyone!
Old July 4th, 2018, 04:50 AM

Kinda hot down here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pop corn.jpg (156.3 KB, 3 views)
Old July 4th, 2018, 05:20 AM

As if the heat is not enough, the humidity is the killer. Short spring and a humid summer is the pits. High of 90 today with 70+ humidity.
Wayne
Old July 5th, 2018, 12:19 AM

Back in the 60s I went with my Dad to Gold Field, NV. to prospect and was always 115 deg there every day in the Death Valley no rain ever. We would fill our two canteens up and walk away I got like 100 yards away and went back to fill it back up. My Dad said you just drink out of one canteen not the other I asked when will you know to drink out of the other one he laughed.
Gerald
PS
Area 51 was just over the hill and back then you always saw strange lights moving around. (1965) Right now it cooled off to 63 but always at 98 during the day here in Calif.
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:15 AM

I get some snow and some hot and quite a bit of just right but the problem with California isn't the weather...... Tedd
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I get some snow and some hot and quite a bit of just right but the problem with California isn't the weather...... Tedd
Yeah, I mean, I'd move to New Mexico, but, as a guy on the power tour told me, you can get your throat cut at a light and carjacked for your classic car, and they just throw you out and you bleed out right there.

That area needs more ICE (hey, a weather pun!)

Last edited by Koda; July 5th, 2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:51 AM

The weather in the Northeast has totally changed over the past 50 years.

The amount of 90 degree days has gone up substantially. We never had 7 day heat waves.

Summers here were pleasant and tolerable, and most people did not have A/C.

There is something to global warming for sure.
Old July 5th, 2018, 10:05 AM

So this was the outside temp on my drive in to work this morning. It's only gonna get hotter as the day goes on.

Old July 5th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by My442
The weather in the Northeast has totally changed over the past 50 years.

The amount of 90 degree days has gone up substantially. We never had 7 day heat waves.

Summers here were pleasant and tolerable, and most people did not have A/C.

There is something to global warming for sure.
Weather goes in cycles. You need to look at some historic stats, heres some for Albany:

https://www.weather.gov/media/aly/Cl...B_Extremes.pdf
Old July 5th, 2018, 03:43 PM

It got a bit hotter for lunch time. I don't really want to know what it's gonna be like at 5 pm.

Old July 5th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Administrator

I don't know which is worse, 114+ in your neck of the woods. Or 108 in mine. Today and through the next week or so in Mayberry we get a reprieve, its only going to be in the mid to upper 90's.
Old July 5th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Old School Olds

Yes, it only hit 95* here and an inch of rain to boot yesterday, so needed.
Old July 5th, 2018, 05:09 PM

I was afraid to go outside this afternoon, so I stayed in the AC and got this off the web:

Old July 5th, 2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by dal442
ohhh, come now ladies-----what'sa little sunshine & humidity.

keep in mind --"you don't have to shovel heat"

dal442
Nor can I make $$$ plowing in the heat.