The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

30 years later on Lake Champlain

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM

30 years later on Lake Champlain

The 69 is long gone, the 442 is in pieces, motor and trans temporarily in the Cutlass and the pine tree, hit by lightning a few years back, had to be removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
71 Cutlass Lake Champlain.JPG (1.79 MB, 19 views)
Topless on Lake Champlain.JPG (1.53 MB, 19 views)
Old August 16th, 2017, 03:40 AM

nice backdrop zeke .where abouts on the lake was this taken?
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:05 AM

Mullen Bay. Just south of West Port. Close to the Bryant's.I'm almost parked in the same spot but VT landscape looks a little different 30 years later.
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by zeeke
motor and trans temporarily in the Cutlass and the pine tree
Using the tree for storage?
Old August 16th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Olds Fever

Mullen Bay. Just south of West Port.
I use to spend a lot of time in Westport growing up in the younger days... Had a lot of family and friends in the Crown Point/Port Henry area...
Old August 16th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I use to spend a lot of time in Westport growing up in the younger days... Had a lot of family and friends in the Crown Point/Port Henry area...
Wish I had some extra cash, I'd love to buy there and one day retire there.
Old August 16th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Olds Fever

Wish I had some extra cash, I'd love to buy there and one day retire there.
My parents had an opportunity to purchase an old family home in Port Henry in the early 90's for $5000 but another member of the family (actually the owner's son) sealed the deal before they made a decision...
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:36 PM

Small world ! I grew up in mineville . Used to sneak into the Westport fair when it came to town . Remember all the fights in the beer tent on Saturday night
Old August 18th, 2017, 07:11 AM

I had a shot to buy a small cabin on the lake for 80K a few years back and thought that was way too high. In my late 20's I bought a bungalow in Tuckerton Beach, NJ. Super Storm Sandy took care of that for me. Finally finished siding it and a week later the water came up 7 feet (40" in the house). Everything was destroyed & funds weren't available to repair it. NO FEMA $$$ even though I paid the insurance, secondary residence, no Sandy relief $$$ and no Bruce Springsteen $$$. Gov Christie must have used it all for his lap band surgery. I sold that for a loss and would have used the money to put towards the cabin but it didn't happen fast enough. Someone else grabbed it. They get a lot of use out of it so good for them. They don't often go up for sale so I'm guessing by the time something else comes up The kids will have lost interest and it would be more challenging for me to get the repairs done. These cabins are original from the 50's I believe. Remember hearing stories about how the way up used to be RT. 22 and it was a long ride. I can confirm, since I took it back home. With a 40 min. stop at Lock 11 to let the kids see the boats go through and another 40 min. stop for food it was about 8 hrs in the car as opposed to 4-1/2 hrs via I-87. Wife made me put the top up just south of I-90. I am a sucker for back roads, but the kids don't share my passion.

One of the highlights was catching this 67' 2+2 at the I-90 gas station as it finished a day at the races in Lebanon Valley Raceway. Check out the bumper magnet. Last shot is the Beverly Hillbilly's Cutlass at Lock 11. I'll need to trade up to a 5X8 aluminum trailer if I continue these road trips with the Cutlass. Car handled it just fine but the tongue weight was a little concerning. Can't seem to find the correct air shocks so it might be time to install the Firestone bags I got from 442Konekilr last year.

Deadeye, I drove around all over Mineville, love that town, but I did have a little concern about the Cutlass getting pepper sprayed with turkey load when they saw the city slicker running through.

PS I used some of the $$$ from the Jersey loss to buy the Cutlass.
Attached Images
IMG_3423.JPG (1.92 MB, 11 views)
IMG_3424.JPG (1.83 MB, 10 views)
IMG_3426.JPG (1.78 MB, 12 views)
IMG_3429.JPG (2.47 MB, 15 views)
IMG_3432.JPG (1.88 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by zeeke; January 5th, 2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:19 AM

Good story and welcome. Im sure a lot of us have stories of how their interest/admiration of these cars began. Every time I meet another Olds fan I learn a little something about their past and realize we have a lot of similar experiences. If you think about it, you can most likely break down age demographics by the cars owned. 65-67( 55-65yrs) 68-72 (45-55yrs) 73-77 (35-45yrs) Im just guessing.
I think we all have some fond memories of growing up and first cars or early cars was monumental and coincided with so many other firsts at that time. At that age obsessing over a car seemed like a responsibility at an age where there really wasn't any. As we get older we start to prioritize things and get real responsibility. Old cars(toys) get put aside and forgotten until we can slow down and try to really enjoy life. I think everyone likes to feel young again and these cars(and other things) do just that. Its kinda like bucket list stuff.
Nice car BTW.
What sport and did you compete in the Olympics?

Last edited by scrappie; January 4th, 2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:30 AM

The Fingerlakes Region of NY is still fairly reasonable. You can buy a seasonable place on Cayuga Lake for a little over $100k. The problem, (like all of NY) is the taxes alone on a property like that are about $4k a year. You can rent a place for nice two week vacation up here for that much money and not have any of the hassles of a rental or vacation property.

My place is year round and the view at sunrise is pretty nice too: