The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Maybe something good for the 73-87 Oldsmobile guys

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Hookers under Hood

Maybe something good for the 73-87 Oldsmobile guys

I appears as thou someone started a 73-87 Oldsmobile site, That may help many on here that own newer that 1972 Oldsmobiles.
I'll put the link up here for the newer year cars.
http://73-87oldsmobiles.freeforums.net/

I hope this helps some on the guys with the newer CCC carbs and more of us 73-77 guys.

Cheers
Eric
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:52 PM

Boy, that site is very new. Only two registered members when I looked just now.

I'm of a mixed mind about these more specialized sites. There's also a '73-'77 A-body forum that's been around a while and gets nowhere near the traffic that this site does. And that's the problem. This site, classicoldsmobile, is well-visited and caters to ALL Oldsmobiles. You can find anything you want regarding Oldsmobiles here.

These other sites that splinter off and cater to only a portion of the Olds hobby never seem to do as well. I don't know how the 442 sites do as I don't go to them. But otherwise, I think one large, all-encompassing site with lots of traffice beats 10 separate sites that each cater to a segment of the hobby and get little traffic.
Old April 1st, 2017, 03:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

I couldn't agree with you more Jaunty75, Classic Olds is well visited and caters to us all. Even off this great site, All you have to do is a google search about anything Oldsmobile related and you will immediately see many Classic Olds threads to choose from for help.
The 73-77 site members have been slowly dwindling down over the past few years, No new members can get in, this makes it difficult for new 73-77 car owners get the help they need.
However the help and information is slowly building up here for all years OLDSMOBILE.
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:35 PM

classic oldsmobile for the win!
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:36 PM
Olds Fever

I started the registration process, but after reading some of the terms I backed out immediately... One term mentioned fees and charges and that simply was not for me...
Old April 2nd, 2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
One term mentioned fees and charges and that simply was not for me...
You agreed to exactly this sort of thing when you registered for THIS site.

Here's the classicoldsmobile.com "terms of service", which we all agreed to when we registered for this site. Check out item #6. It's the same thing as what the 78-87 site says.

http://www.internetbrands.com/ibterm...OldsMobile.com

This link is at the bottom of every page on the CO site. It's on the far right under "Terms of Service".

I registered at the 78-87 site just now, and they didn't ask for any kind of payment information.

Last edited by jaunty75; April 2nd, 2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by jaunty75

Here's the classicoldsmobile.com "terms of service", which we all agreed to when we registered for this site. Check out item #6. It's the same thing as what the 78-87 site says.

http://www.internetbrands.com/ibterm...OldsMobile.com

This link is at the bottom of every page on the CO site. It's on the far right under "Terms of Service".

I registered at the 78-87 site just now, and they didn't ask for any kind of payment information.

No payments or payment information on the new 73-87 site.
My wife didn't have to pay , good thing cuz she's cheap LOL. My 76 finally got taken off the strick diet she put in on last fall haha.

Eric
Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:48 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Thanks, I am sure I read most of the terms for this site before I signed up, but being a well established site, I really didn't have much concern back then... With all the scams etc. that are now more prevalent today, I was probably just a little more skeptical... I did go ahead and register for the new forum, now to see how well it progresses... I used my old username from the OLDSPOWER.COM forum where I was a member for quite a while...
Old April 2nd, 2017, 05:28 PM
Hookers under Hood

I wouldn't worry about it until they start asking for bank account information or CC information.
Most sites don't ask for payments,, the old 73-77 forum which is almost dead asks for donations. No requirements upon joining,, just donate if you like.
A new site is great for older car guys that enjoy helping younger car guys to keep the cars from years gone by on the road.
You shouldn't have to pay for that.
Eric
Old April 2nd, 2017, 05:46 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by 76olds
A new site is great for older car guys that enjoy helping younger car guys to keep the cars from years gone by on the road.
Eric
That's one of the reasons I decided to join... The hobby needs all the help it can get, especially drawing in the younger people...
Old April 2nd, 2017, 07:39 PM
Hookers under Hood

That's one of the reasons I decided to join... The hobby needs all the help it can get, especially drawing in the younger people...
Now that's the spirit. I'm sure you will be a great asset for the new guys joining.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 07:42 AM

A common failure among webforums is that the owner of the forums think that they are the important ones, when it is really the users, with their knowledge, that are. One of the quickest ways to kill a forum is to be oppressive; the users simply go elsewhere, and then you're the king of nothing.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

I agree Koda, just telling members to use the search button turns some off, they jump to another site.
The members make the site, the site owner just pays for it and hopes for either sponsors of donations to keep money coming out of their own pockets.
But on the other hand, the cost to run a site could save the owner money from not having to take his car to the shop. That could be a win for some.

Eric
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Olds Fever

WELL... That didn't last long......... Eric, do you have any info....

Last edited by CRUZN 66; April 9th, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old April 9th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Hookers under Hood

WELL... That didn't last long......... Eric, do you have any info....

Some info,
Once Scott added the 78-87 year cars it was a done deal. Scott and I had spoke about it several times, we decided to make his site work. He was all in first, it was the rite thing to do.
I could never have done it on my own, my current work-load runs my life most of the time.
Scott is a great guy and has the extra time to make the site everything it will be.
It was a good decision going forward.

Eric
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Olds Fever

Thanks for the info... It's to bad, but very understandable... It can't be easy, especially from a time commitment standpoint, trying to run two separate forums... So now Scott is going to concentrate only on the 73/77 forum as referenced in another thread by Scott, and that being the case, I wish him the best...
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for the info... It's to bad, but very understandable... It can't be easy, especially from a time commitment standpoint, trying to run two separate forums... So now Scott is going to concentrate only on the 73/77 forum as referenced in another thread by Scott, and that being the case, I wish him the best...
Hi John,
Actually, Scott initially started up the 73-77 forum on his own. I was only a member on his site.
I had spoke with Scott on occasion only, trying to get more guys to join.
Once guys began joining, most didn't seem to want to post. Since the data base just wasn't ther.
The old 73-77 site had much more info tied into the search link, the same as CO has here.
So therefore, many just didn't seem to have the interest they had initially .
At that time , I mentioned to Scott, we should add the 78-87 year cars to the mix.
Not only to attract new members, but to also look at bringing on potential vendors etc, since the 73-77 Oldsmobile aftermarket parts don't interest many.
Since I didn't get any response from Scott, (My impatience I suppose) this led me to start up the 73-87 forum on my own.
I messaged Scott with an offer to Join the site I had set-up, but he suggested to move back over to the one he started and he would add the 78-87 years.
That's why I shut down the 73-87.
I hope this clarifies the situation a little bit more.

Eric
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Olds Fever

Thanks Eric... It definitely clears things up for me & OLDSDCTR ... I wish you the best in what ever direction you take...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; April 9th, 2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

I really appreciate that John,
The "OLDSDOCTR" put a smile on my face once I knew.
The one member, I knew, would bring so much help to so many.
With spring and summer coming quickly, I knew, I was in over my head without some moderator/super mod help.
I put an ad up on KIJIJI here in Toronto as well for the site. I know it could have worked and eventually, even moved it to a permanent domain, I'm just not close enough to retirement yet.
It would have went really well with some of the CNC parts I've been planning for some time now.
Time is getting precious over 50 here.

Eric