The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Musical Roots

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:45 PM

Well i know im a minority but i cannot stand the Who, if their music comes on the radio i change the channel or turn if off long enough for the song to play. Im 62, so definately from that era. Im a big Beatles fan, Stones, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, someone mentioned Humble Pie, i really liked their Filmore album. Kansas had some great music. I love blues most of all, but since Glen Frey died i cant stop listening to the Eagles, its kinda crazy. Everyday since January it plays in my truck. They should go down as the best American band to date, IMO. I saw Alice Cooper in Odessa, Tx. in the very early 70's, the aroma in the coliseum was.... nice. Every now and then a doobie would come by, and every now and then you would see a cop catch someone with it and take him out. In those days they probably got prison time for that. I saw Sly and the Family Stone, Joe Walsh (James Gang), Black Oak Arkansas, Chicago numerous times, ZZ Top, many others. Cant remember them all LOL something from those days affected my memory. I saw Stevie Ray several times before he made it big, and several times after. He used to come to Lubbock every month and play a club called Fat Dawgs.
Wow, good memories.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:52 PM

Zappa may be a musical genius, but he is not anything related to "garage." Besides, how many garage bands had a major label debut that was a double album?

I can't agree that he's not "overly famous" - he was one of the most famous musicians of his time. He was invited to talk shows sitting alongside the Rat Pack or ???? (made up the former, but point being made here, so pay attenshun!).

So what is garage to me? Mainstream or not, here's a few, some of which may be familiar if you're old:
13th Floor Elevators
The Remains
The Stereo Shoestrings
The Castaways
The Electric Prunes
The Ugly Ducklings
The Kingsmen
The Zachary Thaks
The Moving Sidewalks

Here's one definition that I found (took the easy route here):

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Garage_rock
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:09 AM

OK that clears that up. Not at all what I thought the meaning was. So the early years of The Who would still be considered Garage, yes/no? "Happy Jack" would be more Garage than Mod.

Keep the comments coming. The more we talk the more I learn about/ rediscover bands from the past. Gives me something "New/Old" if you will, to listen to when I'm turning wrenches. Soon garage will be closed to keep in heat, then I can turn it up.
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Commercial Brit groups as part of the first (Beatles, Stones, Dave Clark 5, Kinks, Gerry and the Pacemakers, etc.) or second wave of the British Invasion (The Who, the Zombies, etc.) were not garage.

The local and regional American bands influenced by these groups (including some that went national) could be considered garage.
Old October 24th, 2016, 01:09 PM

The Seeds, they were garage. Plus Betty Page!

Last edited by TripDeuces; October 24th, 2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old October 24th, 2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diego
Zappa may be a musical genius, but he is not anything related to "garage." Besides, how many garage bands had a major label debut that was a double album?

I can't agree that he's not "overly famous" - he was one of the most famous musicians of his time. He was invited to talk shows sitting alongside the Rat Pack or ???? (made up the former, but point being made here, so pay attenshun!).

So what is garage to me? Mainstream or not, here's a few, some of which may be familiar if you're old:
13th Floor Elevators
The Remains
The Stereo Shoestrings
The Castaways
The Electric Prunes
The Ugly Ducklings
The Kingsmen
The Zachary Thaks
The Moving Sidewalks

Here's one definition that I found (took the easy route here):

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Garage_rock
The late drummer from the Remains (Chip Damiani) was a friend of mine. They opened for the Beatles at Shea Stadium among other places.
Old October 24th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpage
The late drummer from the Remains (Chip Damiani) was a friend of mine. They opened for the Beatles at Shea Stadium among other places.
Yup . . . and the leader of the group has been involved in some other successful endeavors but behind the scenes. I think he ended up in Nashville.
Old October 24th, 2016, 07:53 PM

For those interested in digging deeper, I can recommend several books:

https://www.amazon.com/Tapestry-Deli...Vernon+Joynson

https://www.amazon.com/Fuzz-Flowers-...Vernon+Joynson

https://www.amazon.com/Acid-Archives...7363723&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Endless-Trip-...s=endless+trip

https://www.amazon.com/2001-Record-C...ds=hans+pokora
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:36 AM

What about the Tubes" I was a punk before you were a punk "
Generation x and should the boomtown rats be in there somewhere.? I always liked the Sex pistols. It was their manager that messed them up but then if not for him they might not have ever went anywhere.
Railguy
Ever see the movie Side and Nancy?

Last edited by Railguy; October 26th, 2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:30 AM

What about the Tubes" I was a punk before you were a punk "
Love The Tubes, see them every year when the come by. They started in the early 70's though so not sure their influence on the punk culture. They were also big into theatrical performances with many costume changes, etc. They still are but seeing a half naked late 60's guy may not be for everyone, lol. Love Fee Waybill
Old October 26th, 2016, 10:37 AM

I Remember Listening To That Album In aVan That Had Carpet Everywhere. I must say memory is spoty.
Railguy
Old October 26th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Love The Tubes, see them every year when the come by. They started in the early 70's though so not sure their influence on the punk culture. They were also big into theatrical performances with many costume changes, etc. They still are but seeing a half naked late 60's guy may not be for everyone, lol. Love Fee Waybill
Yeah, Fee didn't age well, but neither did any of the other guys, except Prairie, who's doing great and tours with other bands (like Todd R and Starship) the rest of the year.

Unfortunately the Tubes, like many others, in spite of appearances, didn't come away with much when it was all said and done, and still have to work to pay the bills.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the Tubes began in the late sixties, in the desert and then in SF, and were playing the same venues as groups like JA.

They were pioneers of a lot that we take for granted in rock'n'roll.

- Eric
Old October 26th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Ok now I'm having flash backs. Who sang the song that went...
I want'a be a rock n roll star "possibly singer"
Smoke'n dope in the back of my van
Roll'n joints and snort'n cocaine
I wanna be a rock n roll star "possibly singer"

That's all I remember
Railguy
Old October 26th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Al9

Punk is an attitude. It's not a style of music. Henry Rollins explains a perspective that is similar to mine, here it is on Youtube:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HqzAqlaOCyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old October 26th, 2016, 11:56 AM

The Tubes formed in 1972 in San Francisco from two Phoenix bands after both relocated to San Francisco in 1969.
Both correct
Old October 26th, 2016, 12:06 PM

I think one of the guys from the Tubes was earlier in an LA band called Elton Duck (which also had a pre-Bangles chick). The leader was a Phoenician named Mike Condello, who was a musician on an AZ kids show whose name I can't remember but had the name "Ladmo" in it. Condello had one solo album: