The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Why is the burnout turn takeoff-and-wreck a Mustang thing?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2021, 07:37 PM

Why is the burnout turn takeoff-and-wreck a Mustang thing?

I see this videos on youtube, it's always some outside car show, with people lining the streets, and some dude always tries to impress the crowd, and it's always a Mustang. He crams the wheel over, nails it, spins them, overcorrects to the right, lifts, then his wheels catch in the back and whip him left into oncoming traffic. Or, they catch right before he turns back left and throw him into the trees off the shoulder.

People say it's all the awesome power of the Mustang, solid rear axle, and idiots showing off, then not knowing how to get out of it. I'm like, wait a minute, some of my cars have that HP, and are solid rear axle. I guess I did boot my H/O taking off once last year while turning, and it did break loose, and I did overturn maybe 20 deg, but I let off a little, went back left by about 10 deg, caught traction and off I went; hell it was fun on these 24 year old tires getting replaced soon. So, is it the Mustangs or the idiot drivers? Can we do the same thing in a 442?

Old April 16th, 2021, 08:06 PM

It's the people who grew up driving a front wheel drive Honda Civic / Toyota Corolla / whatever econobox, then bought a rear wheel drive car with lots of power and don't know how to handle it. They just never had the learning experiences during their formative driving years. Taking a couple of performance driving classes would really help, and would be exceptionally fun as well.

Last edited by Fun71; April 16th, 2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old April 16th, 2021, 08:12 PM
Oldsdruid

Corvettes have their share of this too, as well as a lot of European supercars. With VIR just down the road, and a couple friends who flag at the track, I hear about all kinds of high-dollar destruction.

Typical when there's too much power under a foot that's disconnected from the brain that's supposed to be controlling it.

But gawdamighty it's funny to watch!🤣

*edit* a couple of those pony punks should have had their *** snatched out of the car and beat down for being stupid. #2 especially. But I believe general consensus is you can't fix stoopid!😛

Last edited by rocketraider; April 16th, 2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old April 16th, 2021, 08:15 PM

High performance car, low performance driver!!!

One part inexperienced driver, add a car with some power, let it simmer in the time wasted watching Fast and Furious movies, serve with lots of ego snd the desire to show off, and you have a recipe for mangled sheet metal and a wrecked wallet.

If those idiots would let out of the throttle before running out of talent there would be far less of those YouTube videos
Old April 16th, 2021, 08:29 PM

I think HP over 500. A lot of people do not have the experience to control it. Some never take their foot off the gas. I did something like that at 16 years old showing off. In a 1970 Buick GS. Posi, one wheel on black top and the other on sand. Floored it, car burn rubber into a large S on a two lane highway. Learned my lesson.
Old April 16th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Fun71
Taking a couple of performance driving classes would really help, and would be exceptionally fun as well.
Believe me when I say it doesn't help from ****. I know two guys who teach HP driving over at VIR and they both say a lot of the people who take the courses just waste their money because they take the course and fall right back into their bad habits.
Old April 16th, 2021, 08:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think in most cases it is due to having **** for brains.
Old April 16th, 2021, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
^^^^^^^^this. It happens with a lot of the cars that are 400+ hp, not just Mustangs.
Old April 16th, 2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Believe me when I say it doesn't help from ****. I know two guys who teach HP driving over at VIR and they both say a lot of the people who take the courses just waste their money because they take the course and fall right back into their bad habits.
Yeah, I saw that in some of the folks in the classes I took. They just wanted to do burnouts and go fast. I learned a lot from the classes, but then again I had a good foundation driving a high horsepower RWD vehicle with an anti-spin rearend. Like in high school doing burnouts / donuts in a big ol deserted wet parking lot, lotsa left hand turn power slides, etc. so I learned how to control the car when the back got loose. The driving classes just built on that foundation.

Last edited by Fun71; April 16th, 2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old April 17th, 2021, 07:25 AM
Gary

Experience driving powerful, rear-drive cars with limited slip teaches you control. Driving on ice teaches you faster. Bottom line is experience.

My wife is a car gal from LA. I can think back on situations where she got into trouble with car dynamics and she pulled out of a potential problem so fast you didn't even have time to get scared.

My best friend is a former stock car driver. He's so smooth that his stunts seem easy to pull off.

Experience gave them their skills.

That experience is missing for many people who lose control of their cars.
Old April 17th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Ding Ding Ding...
One. You can't drive.
Two. You drive a putzstang
Old April 17th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Koda
I see this videos on youtube, it's always some outside car show, with people lining the streets, and some dude always tries to impress the crowd,
Our local AACA chapter is looking for a location for our November car show .
We have been turned down by a couple of venues because of this very reason.
It isn't always the younger crowd , there were a couple of " boomers " that were guilty too .
Common sense isn't common anymore .
Old April 17th, 2021, 08:54 AM

I agree with all of the above with one contribution to the subject. It is likely that a majority of these Mustang “drivers” in question, have previously only experienced full throttle with the traction control button switched to ON.
Old April 17th, 2021, 09:35 AM
72Cutlass S

Back in the late 70s when I started driving all of us usually started out with a unmodified car. Then slowly started modifying it and street or strip racing while continuing to mod it to get more speed. This allowed you to learn how to control it along the way. Now young people can walk into a showroom and buy a car that has more hp than anything I ever had back in the day. As was said earlier you can’t go from a Honda civic to Hellcat and expect to know how to control it.
Old April 17th, 2021, 10:27 AM
Banned

What's even worse and far less forgiving are the high horsepower motorcycles these days. Whole different ball game sitting on powerful horsepower on two wheels. So sad to go to an insurance lot and seeing all the paper plate bikes balled up.
Old April 17th, 2021, 10:43 AM

A solid rear axle is not your friend when traveling at speed in a corner and hitting a bump. Did that in my 88 mustang gt and hopped into the opposite lane. Fortunately no vehicles were on coming. Scared the living sh#t out of me. My 535i didn't flinch on that road at same speed.
Old April 17th, 2021, 09:13 PM

Seems many are way overspinning the wheels (like 50-60 mph while doing 20 mph)... when they they start to lose it / fishtail ... it's already to late ... they let off the gas BUT the tires will continue spinning right into whatever is on the the left or right ...

Rookies - & it can happen to any idiot - lol - at 17 I just was a bit more lucky - now I know +-
Old April 17th, 2021, 10:10 PM

Yes 16. Young, dumb and full of vinegar. Or something like that.
Old April 18th, 2021, 05:35 AM

I feel bad for the legally park unsuspecting spectators whose vehicles get tangled up with these show offs! I am also amazing at how trusting the people are standing inches from the white line sticking out a cell phone to get a video while someone in a 500 hp car is tearing sideways up the road ! Common sense lacking on both parts there!
Old April 18th, 2021, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bobs72
A solid rear axle is not your friend when traveling at speed in a corner and hitting a bump. Did that in my 88 mustang gt and hopped into the opposite lane. Fortunately no vehicles were on coming. Scared the living sh#t out of me. My 535i didn't flinch on that road at same speed.
Solid rear axle has nothing to do with stupidity. People have been driving with solid axles since the very beginning.

If these idiots would let out of the throttle long before getting out of control beyond the point of recovery, these videos wouldn’t be so common. Unfortunately, these idiots think they can do the ridiculous crap they see on fast and furious movies.

If your going to do stupid car show exits, it would be much cheaper and far less embarrassing to learn how to control the throttle induced oversteer in a empty parking lot instead of in front of a few hundred spectators with lots of traffic.

if your going to do something wrong, do it the right way.

I’m guilty of smoky burnouts leaving car shows. When I do make a dramatic exit, I make sure there is plenty room, no parked cars around, and I don’t let the car get away from me.

Last edited by matt69olds; April 18th, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old April 18th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Solid rear axle has nothing to do with stupidity. People have been driving with solid axles since the very beginning.

If these idiots would let out of the throttle long before getting out of control beyond the point of recovery, these bodies wouldn’t be so common. Unfortunately, these idiots think they can do the ridiculous crap they see on fast and furious movies.

If your going to do stupid car show exits, it would be much cheaper and far less embarrassing to learn how to control the throttle induced oversteer in a empty parking lot instead of in front of a few hundred spectators with lots of traffic.

if your going to do something wrong, do it the right way.

I’m guilty of smoky burnouts leaving car shows. When I do make a dramatic exit, I make sure there is plenty room, no parked cars around, and I don’t let the car get away from me.
Exactly. I have had horsepower under me since my first car at 14. Never one time have I been like these fools. Stupidity should be painful. Wouldn't matter though. Still a dumbass.
Old April 18th, 2021, 12:33 PM

Not a Mustang and no wreck...
Old April 18th, 2021, 02:22 PM

Well there's something you don't see every day! Looked like the dog approved.
Old April 19th, 2021, 07:43 AM

We had a big hill we use to roll backwards down get some speed going and dump it in low punch the gas and make candy cane burn outs.
....sometimes with dads car~
Old April 19th, 2021, 07:58 AM

Looking at the video again. Maybe its the shorter wheelbase and short trunk? Making it lighter in the rear. Are Camaros having the same problem? My cutlass's trunk can hold 3 or 4 bodies with no problem.
Old April 19th, 2021, 08:03 AM
Jeff

I have been hearing about and seeing (thankfully, only in videos) this happen with Mustangs going all the way back to the 60's cars. My sister's long-time boyfriend had a '68 and said it was always scary to drive when you got into it because the *** got loose in a hurry. Friend had a Fox-body Capri 5.0, same thing. Another friend with a 1998. I'll have to talk to my nephew about his 2015 once he has the replacement engine set up.

Old April 19th, 2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 75 W-30 H/O
Not a Mustang and no wreck...
https://youtu.be/10i1y2ZFFT4
love this video!!
Old April 19th, 2021, 08:57 AM

I drive the worst vehicle for ice, which is a light pickup with a plastic bed. 300 lbs of sand, great tires, and being incredibly cautious helps. I don't own any FWDs. That pickup is open rear, my previous DD, an Explorer, had limited slip and boy, howdy, did you have to feather it in ice. ABS also was out. I will admit to liking ABS on ice.

Thing is, there's a time and a place to be an idiot. No one there, and lots of room. Have fun. I may go do some power turn takeoffs in the H/O to practice in an empty fairgounds parking lot, but I wouldn't dare do that near people. I did boot a Supra I got to drive on a service road behind a show last year, but that was away from people and in a straight line. 500 HP and traction control in a half size car, man.