The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What has happened to Briggs and Stratton?!?!!

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2021, 11:29 AM

What has happened to Briggs and Stratton?!?!!

Way back, even before my time, if a engine had the Briggs and Stratton name on it, chances were good that whatever it was bolted to would wear out long before the engine did. Not anymore!!!

I bought my 46 inch craftsman riding mower new back in 2006ish (I think). I used it a couple times a week for a few years, then it started to smoke BAD. My plan was to nurse it until the fall when I could tear into it for repair. That plan didn’t work out, the piston shattered mowing one day, the resulting carnage caused more damage than was economical to fix.

I bought a new engine (my first “crate” engine!) and installed it. Other than deck and belt problems, the engine was the one thing I could count on. Until a few weeks ago.

The engine use to start instantly, recently, it developed a problem where the engine would spin fast, then slowly crank. Imagine trying to start your car with a hot engine and the timing crank way too advanced, perfect example of what this did. My first thought was started issue, I still had the starter from the exploded engine. Swapped it in, no change. I had already replaced the battery earlier this year, and it tested good.

After some research, I discovered these engine designs use a compression release system. Basically, it’s a centrifugally activated cam lobe that “bumps” the intake valve open at low engine speeds, my engine isn’t doing that. It’s a well know designed flaw. I called the nearest Briggs dealer, their supplier has almost 500 camshafts back ordered (I’m sure covid is to blame!!). From the YouTube videos I have watched, and reading the comments, many people have “repaired” the camshafts only for them to fail again.

I have had it with this junk. I think I’m going to try the old hot rod trick of have the ignition system on on a toggle switch, crank the engine over, then flip on the ignition. It would make my day if a starter was available that had the Wheaties needed to crank the “high compression” engine without the stupid compression release system.

I just need to vent. I despise this throwaway, make everything as cheap as possible, corporate mentality.
Old September 10th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

No one who mows commercially buys a mower with a Briggs and Stratton. Kawasaki is what most want, then the Hondas(only the commercial ones with the red cover, then robins(Subaru) then kohler. Briggs is way down the list of small engines you want to own.
Old September 10th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Jeff

I'll hold onto my old mowers with B&S engines that are 20+ years old. I am that guy that will stop and pick up a mower off the side of the road that has been discarded. That said, I DO have one pushmower (a Husqvarna) with a B&S that is crap. Part of the problem is the auto-choke carb, and I think the other part is the overall decline of B&S quality over the years. I'm getting ready to jettison that mower from the group, it was a roadside special, anyway.

My Dad had been dragging old lawn tractors back to life, but only those with the old single-cylinder cast-iron Kohler's. I regret not buying one of them. I might have to see if I can determine who he sold them to.

In the meantime, I will heed the advice of this ijasond fella if I feel the need for a new rider.
Old September 10th, 2021, 11:56 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a new Toro 21" with a B&S at the big box store. Almost every mower I had in the preceding decades was B&S and they were very good. My wife used the new one first. Took a break and couldn't restart it. I had to give it a mighty swift pull to get it running again. Next week same thing, but I couldn't restart it. So back to the big box it went. Apparently typical B&S issue at that time. Last one for me. Have a couple of Hondas now. They start on the first pull, even when I initially get them out in Spring.

Last edited by briane; September 11th, 2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old September 10th, 2021, 12:17 PM

I'm not all that well versed with Briggs, my money has always been on Honda for small equipment engines. Those damn things will run forever and hardly ever have issues. They are also reliable when modified, my granddaughters racing kart has a pumped up GX200 around 12-15hp and hasn't given us a lick of trouble even though it gets the **** beat out of it.

Last edited by gear head; September 10th, 2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old September 10th, 2021, 02:05 PM

I have done my best to kill a bolens mtd pushmower with little briggs for the past 17 years. Still runs.
Old September 10th, 2021, 02:13 PM
72 Olds CS

Yeah ive heard lots about bad cams for B and S engines mine might be the same thing 2003 Craftsmen, no matter what its like a hot start barely cranks then starts (every time since i got it 4 years) i cleaned all connections and have a good battery.

a coworker said some of the cams are plastic, his is down for a headgasket replacement (started blowing oil suddenly)

meanwhile my ~1974 3.5HP B&S pushmower still starts w 1 or 2 pulls, it was my grandmothers, my parents, mine, my parents and now mine again, i did have to replace a wheel and the push handle over the years but the deck carb and engine are original.