The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The way it should be

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:29 AM

The way it should be

Harry Truman

Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri . His wife had inherited the house from her mother and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.

When he retired from office in 1952, his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and, later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year..

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There were no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."

As president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale. (sic. Illinois )

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a ***** house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Tells the mettle of the man doesn't it. We need this type of leader today and he is nowhere to be found. Will we ever see this again, I doubt it
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Captain of my ship

Bygone era

Not in this day and age will we see another Truman or FDR or Abe Lincoln.retired politicians go on speaking tours or get millions to write a book , even Sarah Palin is cashing in now , something she couldn't do if still Govenor. Makes you think she's planning on making enough money to take a run at the republican nominee?
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:59 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Not in this day and age will we see another Truman or FDR or Abe Lincoln.retired politicians go on speaking tours or get millions to write a book , even Sarah Palin is cashing in now , something she couldn't do if still Govenor. Makes you think she's planning on making enough money to take a run at the republican nominee?
Palin is cashing in now because she knows her 15 minutes are fading fast...she quit early because she worried that by the time her term ended, their would be less opportunity for her to cash in. We're talking about a narrow window of opportinity.

He has no future career in politics. TV maybe. I'm thinking a reality show.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; August 13th, 2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Palin is cashing in now because she knows her 15 minutes are fading fast...she quit early because she worried that by the time her term ended, their would be less opportunity for her to cash in. We're talking about a narrow window of opportinity.

The Beverly Snowbillies
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Admirable qualities to aspired too. Long live the ones who are long on character.
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick

she also left office with over $250,000 in debt. see needs money to defend herself. she was not going to do anything in office that was dishonest, that would be more like the reason she left. we have not heard the last of her.