The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Visit with gearshead78 (aka Richard)

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Visit with gearshead78 (aka Richard)

I am in the process of installing underdash ac in my 54 Olds. I have gathered up most everything including the Sanden compressor. I have looked high and low and nobody makes a compressor mount to fit the 324 Olds. After spending several hours over the last couple months staring at the right side of my engine, I finally decided how I was going to mount it. My wife got me some of that white construction cardboard from Hobby Lobby and I went out and made a mockup of the mounting bracket. I called Richard and asked if he would be interested in making it for me. I went over last Sunday afternoon and we spent about 4 hours manufacturing the bracket. Actually he spent 4 hours working and I spent 4 hours watching him. I told him when we were done I felt like I needed to have it powder coated it looked so nice. What a nice and talented guy Richard is. The weather here was perfect. It was good to get out and spend time with another Olds guy who I have corresponded with on here for years and only met once before.

Thanks Richard
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:01 PM

That's too cool, testament to fraternity. What is best in us, thanks for sharing

Brett
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:28 PM

Richard sounds like a neat guy and I'm glad you got-er done but did you know that Ross Racing has those brackets made up along with the brackets to switch from generator to alternator when using a AC unit. I think Joe P had a thread on this a while ago.As I saw it this was more of a hot rod conversion but they were using a first gen Old's engine, looked pretty clean....Tedd
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

I did not know Ross Racing had them. They are not listed on their website. We also made up a new bracket for an alternator. I had an alternator but it was jerry rigged with the old generator bracket and the belt was not straight. I will try and post some pictures when as I install it all on the car which should be this weekend.
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Administrator

I agree, Richard is a great guy. Hopefully someday soon, he will be able to start on his project. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM
car guy

Sorry I'm late. I just now saw this. I am glad I was able to help out and it was great hanging out! Looking forward to seeing it all working for you. Looking forward even more for days we need air conditioning.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Richard sounds like a neat guy and I'm glad you got-er done but did you know that Ross Racing has those brackets made up along with the brackets to switch from generator to alternator when using a AC unit. I think Joe P had a thread on this a while ago.As I saw it this was more of a hot rod conversion but they were using a first gen Old's engine, looked pretty clean....Tedd
I called Tony and he does not stock them. He said he has made a few one offs. I will keep my template I made and if anybody is interested I will be glad to send them a copy and talk them through the installation. My installation does require an electric fuel pump. I will post some pictures when I am done.

I wish we had the weather we had when Richard made the bracket and I watched. Soon I hope.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:39 PM
Kjr442

I too have had the pleasure of meeting Richard, and I must say I agree with you. Richard is a good guy. I will add that Richard is good to deal with too, I have bought a few things from him, and he is more then fair.