The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Take a VIRTUAL DRIVE almost ANYWHERE!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Take a VIRTUAL DRIVE almost ANYWHERE!!!

This is really amazing....Check out some of your old "haunts." When you enter an address you will be close to that place. It's not exact and you might have to navigate a little cuz the addresses are kind of screwed up on the finder, but they're right on the housess!! . Expand the view and you can use your mouse to rotate the pic and move around.. There's also a little map with a little man on it - you can move the little man up and down streets to get somewhere quickly.. I just "drove" across town and checked my Moms house, our old house and some friends places. Then I started visiting some of you guys, like John (2blu442) in Medford Oregon...and Ken (442much) in Sherwood Pk - btw Ken, they've got you listed as 78 instead of 28, and how come you've got fords in the driveway??? Nice flag though and love the big trees!!. . This is the closest to a virtual drive I've ever seen. Most of the pictures appear to have been done in the last year and a half.
I was looking for some retirement properties and used this to find addresses and municipal gov't taxes and values on them. Soooooo cool. If you know someones address, you can visit their house on line. Whaddaya think? Oh, BTW, they blank out your license plate on purpose....
http://www.vpike.com/
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM

That's wild
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Yeah, This is google street view right? Yeah, my address is actually 28 but you'll be down the street, 78 will put you right in front of my house. The 442 is in the garage. The intrigue is at work with me, the Montana means Karen is home and the Ford (Aspire) is going to be my son's car when he gets his licence this year.

Last edited by 442much; February 13th, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM

OK, it's not Google street view, but they use the images. The picture was taken between May and July 2009. I painted the houst and garage in July and pulled the hedge in front of the house in May. You like big trees... look at the back yard....

Old February 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup, ya got me. I'm totally jealous!! Well maybe until the fall when you gotta rake all dem leaves. Bet you proabably got one of those chippers that turns leaves into mulch,huh?
Ken, you've got a gorgeous back yard. Love the space and the screening.That was 04, must be pretty much bigger now. Zat a fire pit I see? Looks like it needs a workout.....
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM

That was really cool!

The street view picture of my house looks like late July early August last year because of the new handrails I put on my deck. The top view is from about 3 years ago.
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Getting There

Sweet.........
my roller frame is sitting in my driveway.......
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yup, ya got me. I'm totally jealous!! Well maybe until the fall when you gotta rake all dem leaves. Bet you proabably got one of those chippers that turns leaves into mulch,huh?
Ken, you've got a gorgeous back yard. Love the space and the screening.That was 04, must be pretty much bigger now. Zat a fire pit I see? Looks like it needs a workout.....

The trees are bigger now. I love big trees. The tree fort is gone, the kids stopped using it so I took it down....plus the tree was going to tear it apart. There was not one nail or screw used to keep the tree fort in the tree. I clamped it in to place. Two neighbours climbed up the tree with me and we stood in the fort. We couldn't get it to creak. So for 5 years the kids had a blast. Needless to say we were neighboorhood central. Lastdyear repaired and painted the fence and deck and put another garden shed behind the garage to keep all my spare parts.

The fire pit is kinda lame. I was going to take advantage of the home reno tax break and expand it and put in some flat stone but painted the house, garage door, fence (300 ft), deck (10x30) instead.

The flag is something I remember as a kid. My dad came to Canada after fighting Italians and Germans in the war with the Royal Greek Navy and the Royal Navy. He was so proud to be a Canadian that I always remember the Maple Leaf flying outside our home. So when I got my home, it's one of the first things I did - buy a flag and pole set up. My neighbours followed suit. That's why you see my neighbours house (with his Windstar in front) flying the flag as well.

I had a second pole hanging just after 911. Actually a lot on my street did too. That's when we flew the Stars and Stripes beside the Maple leaf to show support for the Americans. Probably didn't really mean much in the big scheme of things, and probably not many knew, but it made me feel better after that tragety.

Last edited by 442much; February 13th, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM

They don't have my street yet, but that is pretty cool.
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM

If you go to google.com and click on "Maps" you can visit London, Paris Rome, Australia on street level whereever a car can go. I just took a tour of the Ripper walk in White Chapple (London), a visit the the OK Corral in Tombstone, the Ponderosa in NV, the Colleseum in Rome, Graceland and a walk through Old Montreal. Grab the "Gold" man on the zoom scale and the streets that you can walk/drive on will turn blue. Then drag the man to the spot you want to be,release him, go to full screen and you're there. I bet in 10 years from now, the street wiew will be live.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM

They have my street but you can't see down my 300' drivay.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by citcapp
They have my street but you can't see down my 300' drivay.
They don't enter private property to do this. That also includes condos and apartment complexes. You're safe from prying eyes......for now.....
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:18 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sounds pretty cool but unfortunatly I can't get it to work with my computer.
I have 2 web browsers and neither work.
For some time I have been unable to get Internet Explorer to accept a flash player update or install.
And Mozilla firefox just dosen't know how to open the app.

bummer
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Sounds pretty cool but unfortunatly I can't get it to work with my computer.
I have 2 web browsers and neither work.
For some time I have been unable to get Internet Explorer to accept a flash player update or install.
And Mozilla firefox just dosen't know how to open the app.

bummer
I had the same issue with my PC and firefox, so I just copied and pasted the address manually into my address bar on firefox and voila!
Try that, it may work for you too.
Duane

Last edited by 69Rman; February 14th, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by 69Rman
I had the same issue with my PC and firefox, so I just copied and pasted the address manually into my address bar on firefox and voila!
Try that, it may work for you too.
Duane
Thank you,tried it,as per your advice,didn't work.
It says MF cannot open because it's protocol isn't associated with any programs.
thanks for trying!
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Try it now.

Works for me on my firefox...
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by marcar1993
Try it now.

Works for me on my firefox...
Thank you,but still,no luck. I have some knid of issue with my computer or flashplayer that is preventing it's use.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Captain of my ship

pretty cool except they don't have my street yet. I did go to my mom's house and I happened to be there at the time they took thepicture and was working in the tractor. Must of been last summer some time.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Cool, I live way out in sticks and Big Brother hasn't found me yet, ha! Checked out some other places and it looks like the pics were from last summer.
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Thank you,but still,no luck. I have some knid of issue with my computer or flashplayer that is preventing it's use.
Go to google.com and click on maps. Then put the address in the adress line and voila, it should work.
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Last year while I was working, Google Street caught me driving.
Jaydriving0008sm.jpg
http://www.vpike.com/?place=County+R...ubmit=Show+Map
I don't know whether to be afraid or not. The company already has my GPS co-ordinates in real time. And just my luck, I was planning to
stop at the liquor store!
Notice how Google blurs the license plate.

Last edited by Jaybird; March 15th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.