The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Sunday supper- ruined by rudeness

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Sunday supper- ruined by rudeness

Tonight cousins and I went to a local theater production of "Oliver!" The show itself was outstanding with a combined local and summer theater workshop cast and after theater we went to a favorite local Italian joint for supper. We've known the restaurant owner for years and he is a car guy.

We got there a little after 8 and seated at our usual table, and our food had just been served when a large after-church crowd came in. About 30 of them. Noisy, inspired, kids running amok- I'm sure you've all seen it.

They began milling around moving tables together all around us, which we tried to ignore and carry on our conversation and meal.

Then one of them had the nerve to ask if we would move to a different area of the restaurant so they could get our table and all sit together. I replied, firmly but politely, that our food had just been served and we would remain at our table.

They kept pushing tables together around us and another one, I guess a deacon or something, finally says,"We would REALLY like to all sit together. Why would it be a problem for you to move so we can do that?"

I saw my cousin Lucy's eyes flash (Williamson version of a pissed-off cat twitching its tail) and I knew things were about to go downhill, so I replied again, that we were in the middle of our supper and would like to finish it undisturbed.

Then the guy said the wrong thing- "We'll pray for you that you'll be able to work with people better and not profane the Lord's day by drinking wine" (we are Catholic and Episcopal, so wine in Sunday service is nothing unusual for us). Lucy stood up in the middle of the ristorante and dressed the guy down for being rude, inconsiderate and presumptuous to even ask us to move after we had started our meal. Since it was obvious by then our supper was ruined, we called for the check and left. The owner had seen what happened and charged us only for drinks. He mentioned that same group came in about once a month and he had finally had to start including tip in their bill because they were so bad about stiffing his waitstaff.

Anyone else had to deal with such? Not to mention I had to listen to it from Lucy, Linda and Rich all the way home. Lucy was about as steamed as I've ever seen her.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 23rd, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have rephrased this post.

Those who behave rudely and self-righteously in the name of religion are demonstrating that they have no idea what their religion really means, and using one's religion to try to socially intimidate others is about as rude as it gets.

Fortunately, we don't have very many exceptionally demonstrative religious types up here in coastal New England, so I haven't had to deal with this.

It's pretty much "Mind your own business and don't disturb others too much" around here, at least until the tourists from Massachusetts come...

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; June 24th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM

I've believed for a while now that our society has lost the polite graciousness that it once had. My elderly Aunt told me about being in a store when two well dressed teenage girls walked by. They were talking about F'in this and F'in that, she was shocked. Since I go to church I hate to hear about people giving any church a bad name. But when people who claim to be Christians behave in obscene ways at funerals of our brave soldiers. Soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice, I can only shake my head in sorrow. My parents generation would never have tolerated that. Social pressure would have required people to behave in a respectful manner. Sorry your evening was ruined.

John
Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:41 PM

Feel that the actions of that church had less to do with religion in general and everything to do with the fact that they were a collection of ignorant, rude people...just my .02. Sorry to hear your meal was ruined, would have told them off as well if the same had happened to me...Who does that anyway?
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Sorry your dinner was so Stressful.

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:49 AM

I think restraunts should have a separate area for large parties or not accommodate a large party by allowing redistribution of tables. I hate going to dinner with a large party and sitting at one end of a long line of people and not able to hear or participate in conversation without yelling. It is quite annoying for any of the surrounding diners who have come for a relaxing dinner out. I have requested in the past to be moved to another table to get away from a large group who were so loud that I could not carry on a conversation with my wife. To ask another party to move after their food was served is above rude. And then to add a holier than thou judgemental statement? I' am not Catholic but I would Need to be in confession asking forgiveness because I surely would have lost my religion at that point!
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
71 cutlass convertible

If they wanted to sit together pick-up the phone and make a reservation. They didn't so they need to deal.

I'm Episcopal and my minster told me "Whenever 3 or 4 are gathered in the Lord's name there shall be a fifth"

Larry
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I'm Episcopal and my minster told me "Whenever 3 or 4 are gathered in the Lord's name there shall be a fifth"
Amen, brother.

I like Episcopalians.

They drink and sing.

- Eric
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:54 AM
71 cutlass convertible

A man was walking through a train saying "Is there an Episcopal Minster aboard" A man said I'm a Baptist Minster can I help you? No, sorry Reverand I'm looking for a cork screw.

Larry
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Amen, brother.

I like Episcopalians.

They drink and sing.

- Eric
Yes we do! Off key a lot of times. Google Robin Williams' Top Ten reasons to be an Episcopalian if you're not familiar with it. Proves we can also laugh at ourselves...

Unfortunately I know of one parish in western NC that burned out their parish hall kitchen because they got tipsy and forgot to turn off the deep fryer when they left for the night. Crazy Whiskypalians...

Difference in a Baptist preacher and an Episcopal priest? The priest will say hello when he meets you in the likker store...

A little more background- we are an hour south of Lynchburg VA, home of the Falwell- Liberty University religious juggernaut, and their brand of fundamentalism encroaches on everything here. They are known for in-your-face proselytizing and quoting Scripture out of context to make their point. Several of these rude folks were wearing clothing ID-ing them as members of one of the Falwell offshoot churches, so what happened was not really surprising. Still didn't set well with us. Talked with Lucy tonight and she's still pissed. I told her consider the source and we would move on, and still enjoy our meals and times together in spite of rude fundamentalists.

I have often asked to be seated away from a loud table or a table with fussy children, but I would never be crass enough to ask a seated party who had begun their meal to move. That's what burned us up most of all, that even after we had said we would remain where we were, they wouldn't accept that and essentially insulted us trying to get us to give up our table. I'll give it to the restaurant owner- he didn't have to comp our meals and lose money. But I can about guarantee he made it up somehow on the ones who caused the whole mess.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Sounds like those people that were rude to you weren't doing a good job "selling" their ideals. I agree, they are rude and obviously felt their immediate comfort was more important than your (already started) dining experience. I brand them as blind (and foolish) followers... They are the type that one day will sell everything and take motorhomes to the mountains when their pastor tells them the world is ending on a specific date... So when their weekend in the mountains is over, they have to find a new church, along with suffering some extreme humiliation when they have to go back to work (people like you and I wouldn't let them forget it)!
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:59 PM

To change it up a little bit... I had a bad dining experience when my family went to a diner a few years ago. Of all people I would ever think would do this, an older lady on the other side of the room pulled out her loudly ringing cell phone. She answered the call and proceeded to have a very loud 10 minute conversation with a friend of hers. She was completely oblivious to anybody trying to enjoy their meals. I first thought it had to be a joke, but it wasn't......
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

RocketRaider, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have changed my original response to your OP when I woke up in the middle of the night last night, incrementally more sober than when I'd written it.

Nonetheless, I'm glad I did.

- Eric
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Oldsdruid

Shatrab's experience with the cell phone lady proves rudeness comes in many forms. I rarely go to a theater to see a movie anymore because of rude-*** people with cell phones who are constantly messing with them and disturbing other people who paid their money to see the movie.

John hit it on the head. Manners and graciousness barely exist in our modern world. Self-centeredness trumps everything. I've noticed that even in some of our younger hires at work- they simply do not care about anyone but themselves and make no bones about it.
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Captain Starfire

Eric, maybe they sing better than the current crop of Catholics, but .....

Amen, brother.
I like Episcopalians.
They drink and sing. - Eric
Glenn, sure sorry your evening was ruined by that bunch of hypocrites. Where was the owner during this debacle? Too bad he seemed to arrive after the damage was done.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 25th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM

It's pretty much "Mind your own business and don't disturb others too much" around here, at least until the tourists from Massachusetts come...

- Eric
Oh how I miss the Massholes.....

(I lived among them for 16 years)

j/k

Kind of......

Last edited by allyolds68; July 1st, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old June 25th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Oh how I miss the Massholes.....

(I lived amoung them for 16 years)

j/k

Kind of......
Now that's a good description.
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:35 PM

The restaurant manager shares in the blame here. He should have intervened and had the people quiet down leave your group alone or asked them to leave. The greed for a buck causes a lot of redness these days.
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
The restaurant manager shares in the blame here. He should have intervened and had the people quiet down leave your group alone or asked them to leave. The greed for a buck causes a lot of redness these days.
I agree! Last March, I had very poor service, as in NO SERVICE (waiting for almost a half hour to take my order), at my local Texas Roadhouse in southern Maine. I did not get an apology letter from the owner.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM

I have rephrased this post.

Those who behave rudely and self-righteously in the name of religion are demonstrating that they have no idea what their religion really means, and using one's religion to try to socially intimidate others is about as rude as it gets.

Fortunately, we don't have very many exceptionally demonstrative religious types up here in coastal New England, so I haven't had to deal with this.

- Eric
Oh my gosh, this sounds like my aunt ( by marriage) to a tee! Church Lady from He'll.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Oldsdruid

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Isn't that special.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
Captain Starfire

That's when SNL was "Must See TV." The Dana Carvey SNL special (that's even on Netflix now) is a true gem. What a funny SOB!
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, I used to stay up and watch SNL religiously [get it?], but that was back in the '70s and early '80s.

Since then, I've turned it on from time to time, but, I'm sorry to say, it's just not funny most of the time.

I think the whole cast were just funnier whacked out on drugs than they are sober.
Also, there could be no replacement for John Belushi.

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM
Oldsdruid

During the late 70s when we were all WAO, no matter what we were doing on Saturday night around 11:30 we started figuring whose house to go to to watch SNL. One bar we frequented finally started turning the TV to SNL to keep everybody there and drinking.

Maybe that church crowd needs a dose of old SNL to mellow them out some. They'd probably think it was sinful...

Sinful or not, good googaley moogaley it was funny!

Last edited by rocketraider; July 1st, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I used to stay up and watch SNL religiously [get it?], but that was back in the '70s and early '80s.

Since then, I've turned it on from time to time, but, I'm sorry to say, it's just not funny most of the time.

I think the whole cast were just funnier whacked out on drugs than they are sober.
Also, there could be no replacement for John Belushi.

- Eric
I agree, after 1992, SNL when downhill.