The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Roll Call - Bad Storms

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:45 AM
NOVICE car nut

Roll Call - Bad Storms

Dear God , I sure hope everyone is ok down south , there were countless Tornados......I never seen anything like it.....is the world coming to an end ?
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
Dear God , I sure hope everyone is ok down south , there were countless Tornados......I never seen anything like it.....is the world coming to an end ?
We had terrible storms here last night, but we escaped the tornadoes. I hope all our people are OK.

--Sad Don
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM

That was amazing and was expected soon somewhere. It has been a while since the last BIG tornado attack.
Hope everyone there is okay. Lets here from those who live there or nearby.

Here is a good news article - excellent tornado photography.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13217726
Too bad we cannot have good news sites like this here in the states....

Here in TX, I got several rounds of hail, up to nickle and quarter sized. Lots of rain and some 50mph wind. I have one tree that is about to fall, but it has been leaning for quite some time. It is in the open and is free to fall!
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Our neighbors across the street daughter goes to the U of Alabama at Tusculosa, where the major tornados hit. They found out last night she was hiding in a closet w/two guys to be safe; two boys have been found w/minor injuries; she hasn't been found. Parents beside themselves, flew to Alabama last evening, late. Checked all hospitals and morgue, and no Ashley. Our thoughts and prayers with them. She's a senior, about to graduate. You never know..................
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh My..... I can't imagine the worry! I said a prayer that she will be found safe and unharmed!
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Prayers for her being found safe and sound.

North Atlanta AOK. but not usre about lake house in the mountains.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Craziest thing I've seen. 2 weeks ago parts of Raleigh were devasted (6 miles from my house) and we've been under a Tornado watch again since early this morning! Tornado activity like this in NC, SC, AL, TN, GA is unprecedented.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Prayers for her being found safe and sound.

North Atlanta AOK. but not usre about lake house in the mountains.
I hope it's OK!

--Sad Don
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks Don, I just got word everything is ok there too.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Oldsdruid

We were under near constant tornado warning from around 5 last night on into daylight today. Several funnels spotted; no touchdowns here but one hit northern Halifax last night about 9, killing a 52 year old woman when it destroyed her house and threw her nearly an eighth-mile across the road.

There was baseball-sized hail 2 miles from my home. I saw that cloud passing around to the north around 8 PM and it seemed like a solid wall of lightning inside it.

All this following severe tornado damage in this area 2 weeks ago. It's terrible here. I cannot imagine the destruction in Alabama, and the death toll there is unbelievable.

We never used to see tornados here. They were something that happened in Kansas or Oklahoma- flat prairie spaces. Now you hate to see April and November coming because of them.

Hoping people in the affected areas pull thru, and sorrow and sympathy for the 200+ who died.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
OChecked all hospitals and morgue, and no Ashley. Our thoughts and prayers with them. She's a senior, about to graduate. You never know..................
I've been checking the U of Alabama website and the websites of local papers there, and they all say that there was damage to off-campus student housing, but no mention of fatalities or even of injuries. There is apparently no cell phone service, and with landlines blown down as well, there is difficulty in students finding a telephone of any kind to call home with.

Please keep us posted on what you hear, Aron.
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:16 PM
car guy

Our neighbors across the street daughter goes to the U of Alabama at Tusculosa, where the major tornados hit. They found out last night she was hiding in a closet w/two guys to be safe; two boys have been found w/minor injuries; she hasn't been found. Parents beside themselves, flew to Alabama last evening, late. Checked all hospitals and morgue, and no Ashley. Our thoughts and prayers with them. She's a senior, about to graduate. You never know..................
The Radio just said a 22yo Dallas girl going to University of Alabama was one of the victims of that storm. I sure hope that was not her
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM

I think it WAS her:

Ashley Harrison, Ursuline graduate killed in Alabama tornado, was 'destined for greatness'

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/a...ine-gradu.html
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Olds fanatic

Oh my God, Aron...I just saw the news report. As a father whose daughter also left home for an out-of-state college, I cannot imagine what those poor parents are going through right now. My heart bleeds for them...I have no words to convey the sadness
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Aron, I have no way to help you explain to your friends/neighbors that there is a cyper Oldsmobile commuity than prays for them. I wish I could.
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:37 PM

all of my family on my mom's side is over there..i'm probably going to be over there for the next year helping rebuild, i went to Waveland Mississippi after Katrina and it looks just as bad where the tornadoes hit, i hope every body here and their friends and family are safe.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM

I wish I knew what to say to the parents of Ashley but having lost my wife a few years ago I know that no words can ease the pain. my two stepdaughters both attend schools too far from me and I worry about them every day even though you know that you cant protect them every minute. you still want too. I am an hour NE of Atlanta and it all went to the north of me. the street behind my friends house near Cartersville got torn up pretty bad and a buddy near Marysville, TN took pics of a tornado coming up the valley but he had to jump in the truck and run as it started his way. he survived one tornado years ago when it picked his car up with him and he wound up inside a building so he didnt let it get too close. no matter how smart or strong mankind thinks it is mother nature will always show how powerfull she really is. My heart goes out to all those who were in the path. the pictures really make me feel helpless.
steve
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:07 PM
One of None W-31

That is a tragic story about Ashley...hard to believe there are 300 more deaths for others to cope with as well. Like the poster above...I would be at a total loss at what to say to Ashley's parents. Aron was with me and my daughter Ashley just last Saturday...really made me stop and think.
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Resident Eskie

Almost as bad as the 1974 outbreak in Xenia Ohio where 150 where reported in April. Hope your OK jamesbo.
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by snowballs442
Almost as bad as the 1974 outbreak in Xenia Ohio where 150 where reported in April. Hope your OK jamesbo.
The 1974 tornados actually killed 315 people in total

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/...74_tornado.htm

and the death toll for these most recent storms makes them the second worst ever after an outbreak of storms in 1925.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011043...-outbreak-U-S-
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Oldsdruid

Aron- please convey my thoughts and prayers to your neighbors in the loss of their daughter.

From Virginia, where we also have a mess because of the storms.

Glenn Williamson
Rocketraider
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:22 PM

A parent's worst nightmare. Our thoughts are with everyone effected.
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:29 AM

Here's a Choppers view of the damage in NE Georgia [Lake Burton]

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid96372588001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAFIvhljk~,Nz7UFI321 EYq3mGf_QPoNIzRjgYwrAwv&bclid=0&bctid=924428794001
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Here's a Choppers view of the damage in NE Georgia [Lake Burton]
Wow! What TOTAL destruction....

Looks like a war zone. Is your home in this area?

--Don
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:29 AM

About 3 miles south
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh those poor parents! My heart goes out to them on their loss of their daughter. How sad. I was hoping she would be found ok.....

Jamesbo...... what destruction!!! You're very fortunate it missed your place. I've seen tornado damage up close, and it sure ain't pretty. How sad for everyone.
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

About 3 miles south
Are the trees still standing at your place?
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
Are the trees still standing at your place?
Yes,

You'd never know there was a tornado just up the road. The only thing we have trouble with is Wooley adelgid in the hemlocks. I "HOPE" I got it under control [killed]