The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Plumbing question

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2018, 08:29 AM

Plumbing question

I recently remodeled my upstairs bathroom. This entire project began with my wife finding a brand new Jaccuzi tub at a consignments store. I had to move some drain and supply plumbing, everything seemed to go well. My concern is the tub faucet flow rate. With the old faucet the tub would fill in about 10 minutes, the new faucet the flow is much slower and takes a good 20-25 minutes to fill. The jacuzzi tub is deeper, but there is a very noticeable reduction in water flow. Just as a test, I shut off the water valves, removed the faucet valve cartridge, when I turned the water valves back on water shot out and hit the opposite wall, and sprayed water into the sink, on the ceiling, etc. obviously there is plenty of flow and pressure to the faucet! I did a little research, apparently there are flow restirictors that limit the amount of gallons per hour from the faucet. I’m guessing it’s an environmental issue like the low flow toilets that became required by law. This makes sense to me, I had to replace an outside faucet a few years ago, the flow rate was noticeably reduced over the old leaky one.

My question, does anyone in readerland know how to remove the flow restrictions, or can recommend a replacement cartridge that will flow an “illegal” amount of water? My wife picked Phister faucets, in the Solita model line. Any help would be appreciated, and if the EPA comes knocking on my door, I’ll deny everything! 😎
Old August 11th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Inside the aerator at the end faucet spout (where the water comes out) is where they cut the flow. Unscrew it and see how you can increase it by removing some/all the plastic parts.
Old August 11th, 2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Inside the aerator at the end faucet spout (where the water comes out) is where they cut the flow. Unscrew it and see how you can increase it by removing some/all the plastic parts.
Or if they cannot be removed, maybe a hole can be drilled in the center of the restrictor........ (hmmm, now how would I know about that...........lol)
Old August 11th, 2018, 03:02 PM

I just checked our spa and the water flow is great-(house is only 5 years old, all up to code). With the water on filling the spa, I turned the water on in one of the faucets in a sink and the flow is much slower. Thought maybe this-you have a sink faucet on your spa? should be a be tub/spa faucet???
Old August 11th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I did a little research, apparently there are flow restirictors that limit the amount of gallons per hour from the faucet. I’m guessing it’s an environmental issue like the low flow toilets that became required by law.
Ding ding ding...winner! Actually it's not law, it's building code. Once the house is certified for habitation the owner can remove flow restrictors if they choose. I had the same issue with the soaker tub in our master suite. Slower than molasses in January. Then I removed the flow restrictor. Now it's a Speedy Gonzales faucet and sprayer.

The restrictors are flat plastic discs that have small holes drilled in the center. Not hard to remove at all. Then put all back together, tighten and instant flow.

Morale to this whole story is to not let your wife go shopping for house stuff by herself...
Old August 11th, 2018, 03:35 PM

Nice, lets move on to the next problem. Ask this Old House on Classic Olds!!!
Old August 11th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by therobski
Nice, lets move on to the next problem. Ask this Old House on Classic Olds!!!
Hi, I'd like to ask This Olds House a question....
Old August 11th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Try me....Glad your done with that one...
Old August 11th, 2018, 04:15 PM

If that doesn't work, try a Dominator 1050 faucet and "high rise" handle.<--HUMOR
Old August 11th, 2018, 09:10 PM

Well, I already complained to Phister about the poor flow, the sent me a new cartridge. No improvement. The faucet has no aerator that I can see. I can take the faucet head off (leaving just the half inch pipe nipple) with no change in flow. I took the old carrtrdge apart, hoping to see a hole or restriction I could drill. I’m not seeing anything obvious. Thanks for the advice, I’m all ears for any other help.
Old August 12th, 2018, 05:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Any chance you created a flow restriction somewhere in the plumbing modification? Are you using PEX or copper?
Old August 12th, 2018, 09:25 AM

I’m using plastic pipe, with the 2 part glue. I’m confident the issue is the cartridge or the faucet. Like I said earlier, if I shut off the water valves, remove the cartridge, and turn the valves back on, there is PLENTY of pressure and flow.
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:21 AM

I had a similar problem several years, the company rep came out and couldn't or wouldn't do anything. If water flows through it, it may not be a hole that can be drilled but it's a part in the cartridge. Take the old one and cut some plastic out
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I’m using plastic pipe, with the 2 part glue. I’m confident the issue is the cartridge or the faucet. Like I said earlier, if I shut off the water valves, remove the cartridge, and turn the valves back on, there is PLENTY of pressure and flow.
Well then , if there is no aerator and with the above info, I'd say its the cartridge. You can try removing plastic in the valve but you may also destroy it.
Old August 12th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Why in hell would the enviro police restrict a tub spigot? You fill it to a level and shut it off. All it does is slow the process down. I can see the thought process for a sink,( don't agree with it), but a tub?
Old August 12th, 2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
Why in hell would the enviro police restrict a tub spigot? You fill it to a level and shut it off. All it does is slow the process down. I can see the thought process for a sink,( don't agree with it), but a tub?

That is exactly the same question I asked when I heard about the building code. If a tub, sink, whatever holds X amount of water, that’s all that will go in no matter if it fills in 5 minutes or 25. Same thing with outside water faucet, with the ruduced flow I have to move my sprinkler around much more than than I do with the other faucet in the front yard. The front yard spigot leaks a little around the handle when the water is running, I have been dragging my feet “fixing” it and having the same issue as my back yard.
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
You're using logic. Do you really think the enviro police do the same?