The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

New South Dakota law would require gun ownership

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2011, 02:56 AM

New South Dakota law would require gun ownership

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...tizens-buy-gun

This is by far the most intelligent thing I've seen a state do. It's already in effect in Kennesaw Georgia for YEARS now and their violent crime index dropped 80-90% quickly the local Police Chief told the press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's a shame the bill's not intended to actually be passed...

- Eric
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's a shame the bill's not intended to actually be passed...

- Eric
I agree.
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Yeah but its a GREAT point to make that for the reasons they're doing it.
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM

How can you force someone to own a gun? What if they don't want to? That's just as bad as not allowing anyone to own a gun.
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 442much
How can you force someone to own a gun? What if they don't want to? That's just as bad as not allowing anyone to own a gun.
It wasn't intended as a serious law - it was intended as a way of dramatizing the absurdity of forcing every man, woman, and child in the country to purchase a commercial product from a large corporation (ie: health insurance).
[fwiw, I am actually in favor of a properly set up socialized medicine scheme, but am absolutely opposed to the current system that's designed to feed our dollars directly to the gaping maws of the insurance companies.]

There have been instances of such laws being enacted in the modern US, and I agree with them entirely, but a key difference is that they did not require people to buy guns, but rather to have them.
One of the basic principles of the philosophy of the founders of the US was one of obligation to the community. The former colonists were engaged in a great experiment, and were expected to support one another in ways large and small in order to make it work, and one of those ways was in the common defense. Each person was obliged to help his neighbor, whether in a barn raising, a fire, an Indian raid, or in the fighting of the Revolution itself. This philosophy was not universally followed, of course, so ways were developed to ensure that nobody withheld his assistance; for instance, every man in a village had a bucket which was marked with his initials. In the event of a fire, every man was obliged to respond with his bucket to fight the fire. After the fire, the buckets would be thrown into a pile, and a functionary would inventory them - the owner of any missing bucket would be fined for not attending.
So, in a similar sense, requiring every man (or, in modern times, every person) to have, and be well versed in the use of, a gun is entirely in line with our founding philosophy and history, and would help to ensure the safety of the entire community.

- Eric

<Look! Post #666 for me! Mwahahahahahahaha!>
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Oh I see. people who own guns should know how to use them. If you want to buy a gun here you have to take a course (1 day) so you are at least familiar with the weapon. (FWIW, I am against socialized medicine. I perfer our system instead)
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 442much
Oh I see. people who own guns should know how to use them.
If that's what you got from my post, then, well, umm, okay then...

- Eric
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM

If that's what you got from my post, then, well, umm, okay then...

- Eric
I understood what you're saying. I didn't want to get into a debate as I know guns are a touchy subject in the US, just like health care is here. After I chimmed in with my first post, I had second thoughts and then wished I hadn't.

If the "law" was serious, then I thought it's not smart to let everyone have a gun, just as it wouldn't be smart to let everyone drive. However, my next comment may start a 'vigourous" debate, so I'll just let it ride.

Thanks for the explanation and the way you explained it.
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM

There have been instances of such laws being enacted in the modern US, and I agree with them entirely, but a key difference is that they did not require people to buy guns, but rather to have them.
I guess ya lost me there.
How can you HAVE a gun, .....without BUYING it first ?? LOL
Borrowing or stealing it ?

So, in a similar sense, requiring every man (or, in modern times, every person) to have, and be well versed in the use of, a gun is entirely in line with our founding philosophy and history, and would help to ensure the safety of the entire community.
Absolutely 1000% agreed.
I do also feel there has to be checks and balances in place to keep them out of the hands of felons and
mentally unstable people. 442much's point about mandatory training is a good thing. You gotta be able to
protect the rights of the citizens with common sense approaches to keep the anti-gun crowd happy.
It works for both sides then.

Kinda sucks this is only for a show......because this is one I'd vote for personally.
I personally think our current healthcare system is outrageous and I've done 2 reports on it in college.
We subsidize the needs of the poverty stricken, and Illegal aliens in this country because of the EMTALA act.

If any of you have ever used an ER without insurance , you'd see how outrageous the prices are that
the hospitals are 100% LEGALLY extorting out of people. There's no checks in place.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 11th, 2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:32 AM

If we can be forced to buy healthcare, why not guns too? I like having both. . .but it is more fun using the latter than the former
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
How can you HAVE a gun, .....without BUYING it first ??
C'mon Aces... You can inherit it, you can barter with your neighbor for it, heck, in Colonial times if you were a good blacksmith, you could make it yourself.
Also, if you're buying a gun, you can buy it used, and sometimes very cheap.
If you're buying health insurance, you can only buy it new, and only from a huge corporation.

- Eric
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Ah yes, I see your point now