The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Looking at a Vette tonight. I lost my mind

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2021 | 03:43 AM

Looking at a Vette tonight. I lost my mind

Figured this should go in the Clubhouse since it is not Oldsmobile. Not a single time in my life have I ever wanted a vette but I am going to look at one tonight or tomorrow, the price is right on it. Not a so called "good era" of vette but none of them are that great to me. This one is an 85 with 43,000 miles. I will likely be bringing it home for my daily driver, I will post pictures soon. Maybe I can put an Oldsmobile engine in it to help make it better, lol.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 04:09 AM

You should go on a Corvette forum and see what it is worth, etc. Course you know they will bash it as what happens ln here when someone asks about a old Olds they are considering... What's to feel bad about buying a vette? I've always wanted one. Though not a 85, but if you get it reasonable maybe you can use it awhile and sell it and get a profit or at least not lose as much as a late model driver. I bought a 93. Camaro Z-28 6 speed in about 2000 and used it as a daily driver for 2 years and loved it. I knew I would regret selling it but I rally never did, and boy it was fast and fun!
Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:16 AM

You may want to hang a tennis ball on a string from the ceiling in your garage so it will touch your windshield before the nose hit the garage wall. Please don't ask me how I know this
Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:22 AM
Administrator

Not trying to bash it, but unless it's really, really cheap and in great shape... pass. That era Vette is and will, I expect always be pretty worthless. If you want that era Vette buy a 92 or newer.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:41 AM
Always room for one more

The only thing that comes to mind is the dash is prone to blinking on and off, mostly off. I would imagine it's had that problem by now and rectified. If not there are places that fix it, no idea how pricey. All GM digital dashes from that era do this.

78 Vette owner here.

Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:56 AM

I know next to nothing about vettes but I do recall some talk about tuned port injection and cross fire injection. One being more problematic than the other? IDK
They handle pretty good that’s for sure.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 06:04 AM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Not trying to bash it, but unless it's really, really cheap and in great shape... pass. That era Vette is and will, I expect always be pretty worthless. If you want that era Vette buy a 92 or newer.
I'm afraid I have to agree. My brother in law has a '65 and all the members of his Corvette Club have said the '85 era is the least sought after for the car. Of course if the price is very, very low...

Last edited by 69 Hurst; February 19th, 2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 06:40 AM

The closes to a 85, I had a 88. I like the car, but they do have some problems, but all cars can be a problem. Like some other post said, the dash can be a big problem. Also not sure the 85, if manual has the Doug Nash overdrive tran, mine did, and they can be a problem. You can probably buy it cheap, and being it is low mileage, they are fun to drive, I think. I have had 4 Vetts, 1968,1970,1988,and 1994. The newer ones can be a little hard to sell, but the last two I had would outperform, my 70 W30, and got over 20 miles a gal, and had all the comforts of a modern car.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
I know next to nothing about vettes but I do recall some talk about tuned port injection and cross fire injection. One being more problematic than the other? IDK
They handle pretty good that’s for sure.

The infamous Mis Fire Injection!!!

I have never messed with one, but they were still fresh in the memory of the guys I worked with at the Buick/Cadillac dealership. I don’t know why they hated them so much, i wouldn’t think a Buick/Cadillac tech would see to many of them. Unless they were used car trade in?
Old February 19th, 2021 | 07:57 AM

As others have said that era of vettes are not the most desirable but you can get them for a great price. And it will definitely handle like a sports car and be a blast to drive. Watch the electronics on this era of vette. I had a 90 before and had fun with it and now have a 2015 C7. That C7 will run. Runs low 12’s on street tires. Quietly Cruises 80 on the hwy at 28 mpg with the a/c on. Ain’t technology great.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 09:09 AM

Started selling Chevys in 85 and if I remember correctly, the Cross-fire engine was in the ‘82 (which was the Collector Edition in champagne color with the opening hatch) and I believe the ‘84. Tuned port started in ‘85. You’ll be much happier that it’s an ‘85 you’re getting.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 10:49 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst
My brother in law has a '65 and all the members of his Corvette Club have said that is the least sought after era for the car.
Typo, right? Because '65 was a pretty significant year for mid-years -- last year for FI, first year for 4WDB, first tear of BBC availability ... these cars routinely go for six figures.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 11:03 AM

Eric, get that thing cheap and have fun. Emphasis on cheap. I'm not sure what the worst year for a Corvette was, but I think it was either 74 or the mid 80s, depending on if you're grading power or component hassle. But, if you can get a good deal on it, then it's no big deal.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 12:18 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm not sure what the worst year for a Corvette was, but I think it was either 74 or the mid 80s, depending on if you're grading power or component hassle.
I'd go with '75. Base horsepower was 165 and the L-82 barely managed 200. Quarter mile times were between 16 and 17 seconds. At least in '74 you could still get a 454.

An '85 should handily whup those times. One thing you need to look out for though, is interior ergonomics. If you're in the throes of middle age and coming down with a touch of the arthritis, you may find the C-4s to be a little uncomfortable with their "bathtub" seating posture.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 12:23 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Strip the body off the frame and install a C2 or C3 body. Best of both worlds.
Keep in mind you are only 2 years into production of the C4. Stick or Auto? Stick is always a +

Make sure everything works before you buy it. Tires are expensive. Examine the chassis. The dash and sound system can be problematic. Plastic interior bits are known weak spots.The soft bumpers are often cracked and expensive.
Most parts are available. Typical defective parts and problem areas are well covered by Vette part suppliers
Not a bad idea to plug into the OBD to look for current or pending codes.

Change ALL the fluids

The ride is superior to any vette prior.
Most of all if it's cheap buy it make it safe and enjoy it.

NCRS.com
corvetteforum.com
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:29 PM

Wow! You guys got the wrong impression here. Not a Corvette, A Chevette, lol. Sorry, I just couldn't resist making a joke out of this. I just got home with it. It is an 85 Chevette with 43,000 miles on it. Runs and drives like it should for the miles but will need a few thing tinkered on. Just going to be my daily driver for a while. My sister had one exactly like it in the late 80's and I hated it. Still not sure I really like it but it will be fun for something different for a while. The price was right so what the heck, lol. Hope nobody is upset with my playing with you. I am getting a kick out of it.

Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:39 PM
69 Cutlass S

Geez and a auto to boot! Practiced learning stick on one of these. We used to take it hunting, amazing how deep in the woods on of those could go with rwd.
At least its not a LeCar!
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:39 PM

I think we've been had.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:42 PM
Running On Empty

WTH.....I read every post regarding Corvettes thinking of the various models and years only to arrive at a Shovette. This was cruel!
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:43 PM

Thats awesome! both the joke and the car!
I had I think an 85 chevette I got for $150 ran for years and was great on gas. White with red interior.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
WTH.....I read every post regarding Corvettes thinking of the various models and years only to arrive at a Shovette. This was cruel!
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to waist your time on this.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to waist your time on this.
I didn't waste my time - I got sucked in from the beginning. Pretty funny.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:51 PM

You definitely have to put a stroked 455 in that with 3:91 or something and make a sleeper. Or I guess a big block chevy would be proper.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:54 PM

How cute, car ain’t bad either.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
You definitely have to put a stroked 455 in that with 3:91 or something and make a sleeper. Or I guess a big block chevy would be proper.
How about a turboed 215 from a Jetfire?
Old February 19th, 2021 | 02:57 PM
Administrator

Had a coworker pull the same stunt back in the 80's... Not a Corvette, a Shevette. However, given the choice, I would take my chances on the original topic of the Corvette.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 03:01 PM

Found this 72 Cutlass on my way home with it. They don't want to sell but he is looking for parts....

Old February 19th, 2021 | 03:02 PM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Typo, right? Because '65 was a pretty significant year for mid-years -- last year for FI, first year for 4WDB, first tear of BBC availability ... these cars routinely go for six figures.
Yes, badly worded on my part...I meant they felt the '85 was least desirable.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 03:14 PM

Good one !! you let it go just long enough !!
I know you wont believe it Solly with a story !! but here goes, was working as a tech when guy brings in a Shoveitt as we used to call them, says I need a tune up, I drew the short straw, I went out to get it , it started but barley made it in to the shop didn't seam to be running on all cyls
hooked it up to the old Sun 1120 had spark to all four, pulled the plugs front two normal, rear two soaking wet, ok dig a little farther, pulled valve cover (eng not running ) everything appeared normal except for a little metallic debris smack dab on the middle of the head around the cam journal, went and started the car and it took a minute to register , only the front portion of the cam shaft was turning !! the rear of the cam was as still as a possom playing dead. the camshaft had broken in half right under the journal damndest thing I ever saw. the guy didnt want it fixed and drove it home on two cyls !!
Any way that looks like a damn clean Chevette could be a lot of fun and good point A to B driver, congratulations and have fun with it !!!
Old February 19th, 2021 | 03:27 PM
Jeff

God DAMN! That is one clean old Chevette! So clean that I wouldn't drive it in the winter.

I helped my Dad put a '76 back together after someone had run into the back of a truck. Hooked a come-a-long to the electrical pole in the yard to pull the core support back into place, then picked up hood, grilles, radiator, etc from a couple of the local junkyards. The '76's were a little scarce by this point, somewhere around 1985, so we actually had to do some real scrounging to find the parts. Car looked brand new when we were done, and I think my oldest sister drove it until it died.

I had to drive it from the stoplight in town the rest of the way to school one day at 14 years old, because my 16 year old sister couldn't let the stupid clutch out slow enough. We sat thru 8 green lights before I could finally convince her to let me drive.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 04:08 PM

Found this 72 Cutlass on my way home with it. They don't want to sell but he is looking for parts....
Looks like he also has a Chevette for sale too. Bonus.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 04:15 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

We do have a sense of humor here, Good one Jenson!!! At first, I thought I had refrigerator eyes.

Now shoehorn a 455 in it with a TH400 and a 9" with tubs and be done with it. Widen the stock wheels. King of the sleeper, a bullet perhaps. Or a 215 Jetfire we know you have one laying around??? Call it an Oldsvette, Lessvette, Jetvette, Turdvette, VetteKiller.
Whatdidja pay for it? 300? Looks clean as hell.

Hard to believe I'm saying this but Id rather have that than one of today's turdboxes. Prius...turdvette....turdvettte hands down...with modifications...and no big brother BS to boot.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 04:23 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Corvette, Chevette ... I stand by my posts.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:05 PM
Always room for one more

Ah, clever boy you are! I worked at a Chevy place in 85 and we had tons of them. By the time they went out of production in 87 they were actually decent cars. Wish I could find a diesel one.

Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:12 PM

Congrats Jensen, cool find. I'd love to see a turbo 215 in it: The CheJetfire! Would have to have a stick though.

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The infamous Mis Fire Injection!!!?
Not to hijack the thread, but the '85 was tuned port injected.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:19 PM

Oh man , Eric, you got me, BAD!!! Anyway I love the CHEvette. Looks like a nice one and a automatic. I always loved those old Army boots, "Micky Mouse boots" I went to pick up a Chevette stick in the winter once and found I couldn't drive it with those big boots on. They actually were a pretty good car..
Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:38 PM
Rocket Renegade!

You really didlose your mind, didn't you?

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; February 20th, 2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 05:40 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Wow! You guys got the wrong impression here. Not a Corvette, A Chevette, lol.
Priceless!
Old February 19th, 2021 | 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
We do have a sense of humor here, Good one Jenson!!! At first, I thought I had refrigerator eyes.

Now shoehorn a 455 in it with a TH400 and a 9" with tubs and be done with it. Widen the stock wheels. King of the sleeper, a bullet perhaps. Or a 215 Jetfire we know you have one laying around??? Call it an Oldsvette, Lessvette, Jetvette, Turdvette, VetteKiller.
Whatdidja pay for it? 300? Looks clean as hell.

Hard to believe I'm saying this but Id rather have that than one of today's turdboxes. Prius...turdvette....turdvettte hands down...with modifications...and no big brother BS to boot.
I am not much of a fabricator but I would love to put one of my Jetfire engines in it.
Old February 19th, 2021 | 06:10 PM

Words of wisdom.. “The Vette gets ‘em wet!” (Bill Paxton/True Lies)

(That is....the Chevette)

Last edited by Funkwagon455; February 19th, 2021 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Vette tonight. I lost my mind