The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Logan 922 Lathe

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2019 | 11:16 AM

Logan 922 Lathe

I have wanted a lathe for years but just never could find one I wanted. My need for one has gotten bigger so started looking harder to find one. Well, A guy just give me this one and to my surprise, it is still really tight. It is for sure going to be accurate enough for my needs. The only problem is, I got almost no tooling with it and that is the expensive part. I first need a tool post and that is $175 for the quick change I want. Anyone have any tooling for one of these they want to let go of. I would like to get a self centering chuck also. Not used one in 26 years and that was only basic use. I have much to learn but will at least be able to do some basic things.

Old August 7th, 2019 | 11:40 AM

You have what looks to be a very old lathe. It probably has a bronze bushing on he headstock end. Does the chuck on your machine screw on ? Does the chuck have reversible jaws ?
Yes, the tooling does cost money. Try MSCDirect or google MSC for tooling. What are you planning to do with the lathe ?
Old August 7th, 2019 | 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
You have what looks to be a very old lathe. It probably has a bronze bushing on he headstock end. Does the chuck on your machine screw on ? Does the chuck have reversible jaws ?
Yes, the tooling does cost money. Try MSCDirect or google MSC for tooling. What are you planning to do with the lathe ?

To be honest, I am not 100% sure yet but I believe it is a screw on. The 4 jaw that is in it does have reversible jaws. For the most part I want to get to where I can make my own molds to crimp some of these Jetfire parts together. A couple of them are going to be difficult for a novice but a couple others will be simple.
Old August 7th, 2019 | 01:31 PM

Just took a closer look and yes, it is a screw on chuck. I took it off and not sure how to tell what 3 jaw I need to fit the lathe. A friend of mine bought a logan lathe that had a bad screw about 20 years ago. He has never done anything with it and I know he has some tooling for it. I am going to talk to him and see if it is the same tooling that would work on mine. I am pretty sure he would sell it all to me for a good price if it will work. His lathe is loose and junk so I have my fingers crossed.
Old August 7th, 2019 | 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
To be honest, I am not 100% sure yet but I believe it is a screw on. The 4 jaw that is in it does have reversible jaws. For the most part I want to get to where I can make my own molds to crimp some of these Jetfire parts together. A couple of them are going to be difficult for a novice but a couple others will be simple.
#1 What you are describing is an independent 4 jaw chuck with reversible jaws. It sounds like you want a non adjustable 3 jaw chuck. Do you have an mag base and indicator with a jeweled movement ?
#2 What you are describing as a "mold" is actually a "Crimping die". There is a big difference. Mild steel or steel tubing will work a few times, so plan to machine it at times to true up things.

Just took a closer look and yes, it is a screw on chuck. I took it off and not sure how to tell what 3 jaw I need to fit the lathe. A friend of mine bought a logan lathe that had a bad screw about 20 years ago. He has never done anything with it and I know he has some tooling for it. I am going to talk to him and see if it is the same tooling that would work on mine. I am pretty sure he would sell it all to me for a good price if it will work. His lathe is loose and junk so I have my fingers crossed.
#A The thread diameter needs to be measured and how many threads per inch. You might also need the depth and diameter of the mating diameter that centers the chuck. This will be what you need to buy a chuck.
Old August 7th, 2019 | 04:02 PM
Olds Fever

Nice score, Now all you need is a nice set of machining Data Handbooks... Available for sale...

Old August 7th, 2019 | 04:54 PM

#1 What you are describing is an independent 4 jaw chuck with reversible jaws. It sounds like you want a non adjustable 3 jaw chuck. Do you have an mag base and indicator with a jeweled movement ?
#2 What you are describing as a "mold" is actually a "Crimping die". There is a big difference. Mild steel or steel tubing will work a few times, so plan to machine it at times to true up things.

#A The thread diameter needs to be measured and how many threads per inch. You might also need the depth and diameter of the mating diameter that centers the chuck. This will be what you need to buy a chuck.

Yes, crimping dies would be correct. Not really sure why I call them molds. I know I could use the 4 jaw and just have to get it centered but I would rather not have to. I don't even have a quality indicator yet. For as much as I may have to pay for a self centering one I may have to stick with what I have. Again, I am no expert at all on this stuff and even need to be extra careful just to be sure I don't rip an arm off. I did just meet a guy that is a professional machinist. His girl and mine are good friends so we got to know each other a little. He said tonight then he could come over and point me in the right direction on some things when I have it going.
Old August 7th, 2019 | 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Nice score, Now all you need is a nice set of machining Data Handbooks... Available for sale...
Better than the You Tube videos I have been watching I am sure, lol
Old August 7th, 2019 | 09:27 PM

Yes, crimping dies would be correct. Not really sure why I call them molds. I know I could use the 4 jaw and just have to get it centered but I would rather not have to. I don't even have a quality indicator yet. For as much as I may have to pay for a self centering one I may have to stick with what I have. Again, I am no expert at all on this stuff and even need to be extra careful just to be sure I don't rip an arm off. I did just meet a guy that is a professional machinist. His girl and mine are good friends so we got to know each other a little. He said tonight then he could come over and point me in the right direction on some things when I have it going.
You probably haven't put an indicator on the chuck and gently lifted the chuck with a pry bar to check head stock bearing "slop". You probably haven't put an magnetic base/indicator on the ways and tried to wiggle the cross slide and the compound separately to check looseness ? You'll definitely need some help with general safety and usage.
DO NOT EVER remove your hand from the chuck wrench when its inserted into the chuck. If you forget and turn it on, you can break a windshield, put a huge dent in a wall or car when it FLIES OUT. If you are standing in front of it, guess who can get hit !
Old August 8th, 2019 | 03:12 AM

You probably haven't put an indicator on the chuck and gently lifted the chuck with a pry bar to check head stock bearing "slop". You probably haven't put an magnetic base/indicator on the ways and tried to wiggle the cross slide and the compound separately to check looseness ? You'll definitely need some help with general safety and usage.
DO NOT EVER remove your hand from the chuck wrench when its inserted into the chuck. If you forget and turn it on, you can break a windshield, put a huge dent in a wall or car when it FLIES OUT. If you are standing in front of it, guess who can get hit !
I see you are from Jim Noel's neck of the woods. You wouldn't by chance be the one that made his dies are you?

The guy I got it from did not store it in the best place and did not use it. It has sit for at least 15 years. His dad is the one that used it at the federal prison and took it home when he retired. His dad said it was all still tight but I personally did not check it. With it not stored very nice I wondered if any corrosion or sticky oil makes it appear tight and get loose after it is used. Don't look like the ways are beat up under the chuck any and the hand wheels have almost no play. For what I am going to do I think it will be fine. I am going to try to get it wired up this weekend.

Last edited by jensenracing77; August 8th, 2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old August 8th, 2019 | 05:11 AM

You've got a good lathe there. I traded for an older Logan lathe about 25 years ago, and it has proven to be invaluable over the years. The last time I checked, there was a fair amount of tooling and parts for these lathes on Ebay still, so you should be able to find what you need. The 3-jaw chuck size will need to be chosen in relation to what the swing is over your lathe bed. One thing that helped me teach myself to run the lathe was I got a copy of a U.S. Navy training manual for Machinery Repairman 3&2. Pretty good information in there. Enjoy!
Old August 8th, 2019 | 07:33 AM

I see you are from Jim Noel's neck of the woods. You wouldn't by chance be the one that made his dies are you? .
I don't think I know a Jim Noel.