The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Little luxuries you allow yourself?

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Oldsdruid

Little luxuries you allow yourself?

Anyone have any little pleasures or indulgences you spoil yourself with?

Mine is once a month I get a genuine hot towel shave at the barber shop, along with my regular haircut. Guy will even throw in a Royall Bay Rhum aftershave splash if you like it, and I do.

I've started using my dad's old Gillette safety razor a lot too, complete with shaving soap and brush. Blades for it have gotten harder to find, generally have to get them at CVS or Walgreen's since WalMart et al no longer stock them.

A simple luxury. Yah, not as close a shave as the latest 5-blade Star Wars expen$ive razor and gel shave cream, but there's something satisfying about it.
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I've started using my dad's old Gillette safety razor a lot too, complete with shaving soap and brush. Blades for it have gotten harder to find, generally have to get them at CVS or Walgreen's since WalMart et al no longer stock them.

A simple luxury. Yah, not as close a shave as the latest 5-blade Star Wars expen$ive razor and gel shave cream, but there's something satisfying about it.
Agreed 100% on that one. I use my dad's shaving unit and brush that he got when he was a freshman back in the early 70's. Never had a better shave, and it's made in Solingen germany where many stainless rasor manufacturers are based. I've been there, its a heck of a town.

Brush i got in Nuremburg germany this summer when i went to visit some family. Starting you day with a good shave is the only way to get the ball rolling (not this decade's 16 blade super rason crap sorry to say).
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:21 AM
delete

I drive 1 1/2 miles each way to the train station every day. My daily driver was an old Buick Regal. Last year I treated myself to a new CTS, It was my 1st new car since I bought the Buick in 2000. I justified it that since I will only drive it 5K-6K a year it will be the perfect 1st car for my son, now 9, learns to drive. Plus I got a really good deal on it.
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Cutlass Lover

About the only thing I do for myself (besides go to the car shows) is to go get the "touch of silver" that has shown up in my part line on top of my head, colored every month, lol! It really shows up in my black hair!! I'm not doing it myself, so I indulge!!!! I'm worth it, lol!
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I play poker once a month with some friends small stakes. A bad night you might lose $20 bucks in 4 hours. Cheap entertainment.

Larry
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
"touch of silver" that has shown up in my part line on top of my head, colored every month, lol!
ROTFLMAO

Rocketraider,

In Gawga, They don't even teach barbers how to shave anymore. The last barber I had who could give a decent shave with a straight razor had Parkinson's disease.

It scared the $hit out of me when he got close to my throat with his shaken hand but somehow he stopped just in the nick [pun intended] of time.

There's nothing like snoozing in a barber chair while getting a good shave,

As for me, Every once in a while, I'll go get some fresh crab meat, slice an alvacado, put some remoularde sauce on it an eat it ALL BY MYSELF.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Cutlass Lover

I knew you'd find that funny, Jamesbo!! Myself, I don't like it. I'm much to young.....
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Once a month? I have to limit myself to ONCE a month??? Well let me think... no that's not it......a luxury you say??? Hmmmm, yes that's it! Once a month I go for therapy to strenghten my resistance to the voices telling me to tear my car apart and rebuild it. The therapy is terrible BTW, in fact its next to useless.

So it comes back to my one Vice - once a month I allow myself to buy a bag of Doritos and pig out with a bowl of Nachos! mmmm, nachos, cheese,nachos, cheese, Halapenos, salsa, chives, sour cream, nachos, more cheese, mmmmmmmm DAMN! gotta wait till Dec now!

and
BEER!
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I always have to have one junk car that doesn't run sitting on the driveway.
No insurance, or payments, or worries about it breaking down. Just a big cool bar top for my guests to enjoy.

I enjoy having an old inanimate friend/object around since I'm too old for teddy bears.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Allan R

and
BEER!

ALLAN, YOU FORGOT TO ADD THIS..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
toilet-paper.jpg (69.6 KB, 213 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe - you gotta be kidding me?

You only give yourself that luxury once a month??? OMG that means you would be so full of ......ummm, something.

Wouldn't want to be around when your once a month luxury happens!
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Cutlass Lover

Lol!! Good one, Joe!!! I believe he means you'll need it when you're done with the nachos and Coors, Allan R, lol!!!
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Lol!! Good one, Joe!!! I believe he means you'll need it when you're done with the nachos and Coors, Allan R, lol!!!
HAH! Obviously not a connosieur... that's when we play "Pull my finger'
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Don't know if this counts or not, but daily at 5 PM I have 2 fingers of Rebel Yell whiskey, neat. And it is...........................
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:58 PM

The car, of course! Good whiskey and an occasional cigar, too. Annual ski trip to Tahoe with my bud's on super bowl weekend.
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Captain Starfire

Remoularde?

Jamesbo,
Just like somebody in Atlanta to misspell 'remoulade'! Ha, ha... just kidding... but you can leave the French words and phrases to us Cajuns down here.
(But don't worry....I won't say anything about the Saints or Falcons.)
Actually, GA is our second home... literally; we go up to Hiawassee every chance we get, including next week, and Christmas, and New Year's, and....
My simple (nonguilty) pleasure is simply eating out regularly, especially since I'm the family's designated cook. We go out to a relatively nice restaurant for all special occasions, like my birthday, or for our anniversary this month. Although pre-rinsing dishes helps remove the worn-in fingerprint grit from greasing (and degreasing) too many tie rod ends, it's nice to get a night off.
Everybody have a great weekend.
John
p.s.: I may be risking life and limb, but whenever we fly into the Atlanta airport, I always wear my Saints paraphernalia.... all in good fun, of course! )
Originally Posted by Jamesbo
ROTFLMAO

Rocketraider,

In Gawga, They don't even teach barbers how to shave anymore. The last barber I had who could give a decent shave with a straight razor had Parkinson's disease.

It scared the $hit out of me when he got close to my throat with his shaken hand but somehow he stopped just in the nick [pun intended] of time.

There's nothing like snoozing in a barber chair while getting a good shave,

As for me, Every once in a while, I'll go get some fresh crab meat, slice an alvacado, put some remoularde sauce on it an eat it ALL BY MYSELF.
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Allan I'd have to eat ice cream with all the jalapenos, so right before I yank on the TP, I can yell COME ON ICE CREAM!
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Bee-oh-Pee,

I luve de "Big Easy" lagnappe and all the bar-b-qued shrimp Manale's can searve me. Used to know a bunch of nursing students dat went to school at Charity.
One of des days, I'll tell ya a story 'bout Pauline Bernedette Privot from New Iberia, La.
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Captain Starfire

Mais cher, you welcome to do dat anytime.... I bet dat Pauline, she got a few gray hairs by now....
BTW, we're going to Manale's on 12/1... I'll soak up a little of that butter sauce on a piece of French bread just for you....
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
Mais cher, you welcome to do dat anytime.... I bet dat Pauline, she got a few gray hairs by now....
BTW, we're going to Manale's on 12/1... I'll soak up a little of that butter sauce on a piece of French bread just for you....
You're amaz'in. Ya jes kilt my dream and made me hungry at de same time.
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Captain Starfire

This is cruel, but -->

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM

John, You're a cruel man. BUT you can have de shrimp. Jes give me de bread so I can dip it in de butter/sauce.

To all my Olds friends who can spell Zamboni with out look'in it up. John jes posted a pic of one of the best tast'in things ya can put in your mouth. Barb-b-qued shrimp a la Pascal's Manale in New Orleans.

It's not really bar-b-qued, It' sauteed in butter onion and spices and served with French bread. Ya eat de shrimp and dunk de bread in the spicy butter sauce and It's WONDERFUL.
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Captain Starfire

To all those from Nebraska (I'll prolly get flamed for that), you DO peel 'em first! Take care, Jamesbo.... and I do love that '69 hardtop....
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
"me somebody" site member

Gee, and all I can think of are all the luxuries I have to deny myself in order to finance my hobbies.

Wait, isn't owning a classic car a luxury? I'm confused.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Wait, isn't owning a classic car a luxury?
Yea - a HUGE one!
This thread is about the little ones...
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Yea - a HUGE one!
This thread is about the little ones...
Well, then I guess I've chosen a couple big ones over a bunch of little ones.
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Hookers & Blow
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

That's a tough one. by the time i pay bills and put money away for a house. Im happy being able to put fuel in my cutlass or a little bit of money making it faster. Ever since i was a little kid i wanted a car like the one i got that in it's self is a luxury.
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM

A night on the town, including beer and womenfolk aplenty. Sometimes a break from working on the car, or from working out.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

......John jes posted a pic of one of the best tast'in things ya can put in your mouth. Barb-b-qued shrimp a la Pascal's Manale in New Orleans.

Ewwwwww..... are those brown glob thingys on those shrimp their eyes, Jamesbo??? I would NOT eat those!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Oldsdruid

I'm lazy. I like my swimps and crawdads already peeled! Sandy, the swimps in your swimp cocktail looked exactly like these till they got peeled.

Was in Cape Cod several years back and went to a genuine beach clambake- clams steamed in a pit and all. If it hadn't been for the clam cakes and corn on the cob, I'd have gone hungry. That was the most work I ever did for a little bit of somethin' to eat in my life.

I donno, I guess I was figuring clams at a clambake would be big as oysters... they were little teeny things, not much bigger than a drink bottle screw top and stubborn as the dickens to pry open.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Captain Starfire

......John jes posted a pic of one of the best tast'in things ya can put in your mouth. Barb-b-qued shrimp a la Pascal's Manale in New Orleans.

Ewwwwww..... are those brown glob thingys on those shrimp their eyes, Jamesbo??? I would NOT eat those!

You must be from Nebraska~~~
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bee-oh-pee
you must be from nebraska~~~
rotflmao :d:d:d:d
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Cutlass Lover

Nebraska, Ohio.... what difference does it make, lol?? The only shrimps I've ever eaten are deep fried, like at Red Lobster. Never had a shrimp cocktail. I'm not eatin anything that looks raw. Oysters, clams, mussels, crawcrabs.... they're all gross.... Someday when I get to go to N'awlins, I'm gonna have to be careful of what I eat there, lol!!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Captain Starfire

Hee hee!!! I'll be your tour guide, 'gal ---- our first stop will be a sushi bar! Gotta' get over that "raw" phobia.... down here they say "Eat oysters, love longer!"
I guess it's easy for me to say, 'cause my grandfather was shucking and we were sucking as fer back as I can remember.... Yummy!
As far as the 'swimp cocktail' goes, my wife (from Peoria, no less) said when she was a kid, that was her favorite food in the world....

Nebraska, Ohio.... what difference does it make, lol?? The only shrimps I've ever eaten are deep fried, like at Red Lobster. Never had a shrimp cocktail. I'm not eatin anything that looks raw. Oysters, clams, mussels, crawcrabs.... they're all gross.... Someday when I get to go to N'awlins, I'm gonna have to be careful of what I eat there, lol!!

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; November 23rd, 2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: grammar edit
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Oldsdruid

The only shrimps I've ever eaten are deep fried, like at Red Lobster.
Guess what, sweetie? THOSE looked like the ones in the picture too, till they were peeled and breaded . Now you'll probably never eat shrimp again...

Mmph. Cold boiled swimps with a good strong horseradish cocktail sauce are another thing that can come under small luxuries.

There's a steakhouse close to the plant that serves up some nice jumbos. If it wasn't so damn crowded there during holiday weeks, I'd almost head me by there on the way out tonight.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Cutlass Lover

....THOSE looked like the ones in the picture too, till they were peeled and breaded .

Well they look better peeled and breaded lol. I'll still eat them. I love shrimp!! I really love deep fried scallops. But I ain't a eatin anything that's looking at me!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:32 AM

Sandy, I hate to tell you dis, BUT, I just read that Chinesium shrimp/ crawfish [like Publix and Red Lobster sell] are considered to be raise in the nastest way possible. There on alot of list of foods that should NEVER bee eaten.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by maxdog
hookers & blow
lmao!!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Oldsdruid

remoularde sauce
Just like somebody in Atlanta to misspell 'remoulade'!
Hee hee- reminded me that in some parts of the South, an extra "R" (or more correctly an "AHRAH") gets added in many words after a vowel.

Examples: my Grandma would bellow out "Alphar and Omegar be" in church on Sunday mornings (in spite of John Wesley's 1761 admonitions to "Sing modestly. Do not bawl, so as to be heard above or distinct from the rest of the congregation, that you may not destroy the harmony ...")

and I can't tell you how many old men in that area aspired to owning a "Burick artomobile".

So "remoularde" would be understood perfectly in such places.

Then again everyone here sounds like Wawd Buhton, so we're used to having the language murdered.

Which, BTW, is another small luxury we allow ourselves here!

Quick Reply: Little luxuries you allow yourself?