The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Leslie West dead at 75

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2021, 09:30 PM

Leslie West dead at 75

I some how missed this ,
Leslie West dead at 75 , died Dec/23/2020, I saw Leslie 1 time at a place called Old Chicago , it was shortly after he left Mountain,
he was so messed up he barely made it on to the stage but to his credit he played and played well and completed the show.
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Olds Fever

I still have a couple Mountain albums in my collection... RIP Leslie...
Old January 4th, 2021, 08:18 AM
Oldsdruid

Picture a tall lanky longhaired kid cruising the local strip in a 66 442 with Mountain blasting out of a Craig Powerplay 8 track. That was me in 1973. "Mississippi Queen" still rocks. I dug "Nantucket Sleighride" too.

Leslie West was a way more influential guitarist and musician than he ever got credit for.
Old January 4th, 2021, 09:03 AM

Leslie really does that Jack Bruce composition extremely well. One would like to think Leslie, Jack, Felix are somehow back together.
Old January 4th, 2021, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Picture a tall lanky longhaired kid cruising the local strip in a 66 442 with Mountain blasting out of a Craig Powerplay 8 track. That was me in 1973. "Mississippi Queen" still rocks. I dug "Nantucket Sleighride" too.

Leslie West was a way more influential guitarist and musician than he ever got credit for.
Same here. Mine was a 70 442 though. Peace Leslie.
Old January 4th, 2021, 12:01 PM

He use to say he got the song because Eric couldn't do it. Mississippi Queen rocks!

Steve
Old January 4th, 2021, 01:18 PM

I was that same kid also only the fat version like Leslie !! Graig Cassette mounted in the on a removable sliding mount so it could be removed to prevent theft, in a 65 Tempest, playing through Tenna Sound Boomers (each had it's own amp) 6x9 speakers !!! my buddy had the PowerPlay 8 track with what we used to call the ***** LIGHT a red light that lit up on the unit when it achieved max boost range !!.
Lesilie was unique in the fact that here was this porky Mountain of a man with frizzy hair and a New York /Jersy attitude when all the other Axe men of the day were Skinny long haired Brits. he was influential and always a interesting interview, in has later years he found comfort in electric blues as many musicians do (back to the roots) Rock on with Felix and Jack Leslie !!
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:14 PM
Oldsdruid

Well- I couldn't stand it and went youtubing for some Mountain. "Mississippi Queen" suggestions led me to Mott the Hoople (another favorite) "Rock and Roll Queen" and "One of the Boys". Wild **** for a farm kid like myself to be listening to in those days.

Next thing I'll be hunting for another 66 and a Craig tapedeck.
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:22 PM
Administrator

While not especially a Mountain fan, I do have the Mountain Climbing album. Leslie West made guitar playing look so easy.
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:52 PM

He could have easilly gotten a job cutting off the insulation of heavy-guage electrical cable, using his choppers:

Old January 4th, 2021, 04:42 PM

nantucket sleighride,awesome tune
Old January 4th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
nantucket sleighride,awesome tune
cannot forget that one entire side of his Live LP was JUST Nantucket Sleigh Ride - quite a jam for it's day

Saw (BIG) Leslie in the 70's & 80's many times, and in about 2012 saw him he was thin - and missing a leg - ...
wkli - In the early 2000s he also survived a short bout with bladder cancer.[14] In 2011, due to complications from his diabetes, West's right leg had to be amputated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_West
Old January 4th, 2021, 11:22 PM

Here, Leslie the Vagrant:

Old January 5th, 2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by solly
I was that same kid also only the fat version like Leslie !! Graig Cassette mounted in the on a removable sliding mount so it could be removed to prevent theft, in a 65 Tempest, playing through Tenna Sound Boomers (each had it's own amp) 6x9 speakers !!! my buddy had the PowerPlay 8 track with what we used to call the ***** LIGHT a red light that lit up on the unit when it achieved max boost range !!.
Lesilie was unique in the fact that here was this porky Mountain of a man with frizzy hair and a New York /Jersy attitude when all the other Axe men of the day were Skinny long haired Brits. he was influential and always a interesting interview, in has later years he found comfort in electric blues as many musicians do (back to the roots) Rock on with Felix and Jack Leslie !!
Loved my craig power play cassette had it in my 76 CePics get and moved it to my 77 curls!as a few years later
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by solly
...my buddy had the PowerPlay 8 track with what we used to call the ***** LIGHT...
Why's that? Was the unit mounted underneath the steering column?
Old January 6th, 2021, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
Why's that? Was the unit mounted underneath the steering column?
under the column, good one !!