The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The importance of the comma

Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:18 AM

The importance of the comma

The difference between

let's eat, grandma!

and

Let's eat grandma!

Similarly illustrated here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rebelafb/7835027468/

Where Mr. Rxxel had posted, in reply to the comment, "still ridin bitch"

to which was replied much later on a visit:

"If you are 'still ridin' bitch' at your age, you need to talk to your boyfriend about letting you get your own Harley."

Now, the page does not show other postings, only RExxL's writings.

Can someone please take a screen shot of what YOU are shown and put it up here?

Thanks.

I reckon he's still "ridin' bitch" to this day but at least he moved to the Chicago area where they condone painting your crap all over other peoples' buildings.

He did a "throw up" (appropriately named) in Lansing under the MLK river bridge last year.... in which he proclaims himself a "Lansing Hero".... it got changed to "Lansing Idiot," photographed, and then entirely painted over.

Last edited by Octania; March 1st, 2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:42 AM
Senior Moment Member

Poor grammatical skills are the norm now. The Sun Times in Chicago uses the word "gonna" in its articles. The slippery slope continues with most kids unable to write a coherent sentence. My favorite is the run-on sentence. LOL!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The whole point of language is communication.

The whole point of rules in language is clear communication.

If you ignore the rules, people don't know what the #^@* you're trying to say.

- Eric
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:07 AM

Incorrect homonyms and other errors are the way of life on the internet. No one loses anything, they loose it. So I guess they want someone to tighten it. Which witch do you winch into your trailer with your wench? They're going there with their ignorance.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:32 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It seems being told I'm "sick" is a high level of praise from young men today, I remember when "*** wipin' bad" conveyed a similar level of respect and appreciation.
"Jolly good show" was before my time, "S##t hot" I remember as the accolade of choice when I was a young man.

Roger.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:45 AM
Oldsdruid

Some of us are even partial to the Oxford comma...

Yah, it's a holdout from high school journalism days.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:58 PM

I was always a step behind in School. I suffered with people making fun of me for years. I would try as hard as I could to hide the fact that I was not very literate. One day I just said screw it, I no longer hid the fact that I could not understand english and could not spell and barely read. I can hardly believe that I have the job I do because to this day I can not spell and a VERY slow reader. Computers spell check is great but can only do so much. I find myself getting to a word that is so bad that spell check can't figure it out. Then I have to reword the entire thing to avoid that word. None of my classmates (including me) would have thought I would ever be management material dealing with lots of customers.
Why am I saying this? I'm not sure... but I like it when someone posts something with wrong spellings because it make me not feel so alone.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:29 PM

Let's not forget capitalization.
"Helping your uncle Jack off a horse"
"Helping your uncle jack off a horse"

Big difference in my mind...
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I was always a step behind in School...
And yet, your posts are always clear and easy to understand, so you must be doing something right.

My grandfather barely got a chance to start high school, never mind finish it. He spoke and wrote just fine.
After he passed on, I found all sorts of "Improve your vocabulary"-type books in the back of his desk - he'd worked at it and finally gotten it right.

It's not the school - it's whether you care about other people understanding you, and clearly, you care and take the effort to be understood.

- Eric
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
morgan

I was always a step behind in School. I suffered with people making fun of me for years. I would try as hard as I could to hide the fact that I was not very literate. One day I just said screw it, I no longer hid the fact that I could not understand english and could not spell and barely read. I can hardly believe that I have the job I do because to this day I can not spell and a VERY slow reader. Computers spell check is great but can only do so much. I find myself getting to a word that is so bad that spell check can't figure it out. Then I have to reword the entire thing to avoid that word. None of my classmates (including me) would have thought I would ever be management material dealing with lots of customers.
Why am I saying this? I'm not sure... but I like it when someone posts something with wrong spellings because it make me not feel so alone.
same here, i never come down on people they way the communicate on here as long as i have an idea of what they are trying to saying... a lot of people didn't do well in certain subjects in school or just have problems with typing etc...no big deal
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:58 PM
Administrator

A lot of us were not lit majors. My grammar has always been blunt and to the point. As a teen I think I learned the importance of a period in the cycle of things..., didn't think about coma's much.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 03:45 PM

huked un fonics wurks fur meh
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:52 PM

My friend is a speech pathologist. And I grew up being tested for numerous learning disabilities. When it comes down to it, it's communication whether right or wrong - I wouldn't take to task a stutterer for communicating in a manner that works fine for him/her, nor would I do it for someone who's not adept at putting a sentence together.

However, if you call me stupid and show poor grammar, all bets are off. :-)
Old November 3rd, 2014, 05:00 PM

Funny thing is, that flikr page is hard to find... he had used the phrase "still ridin bitch"

A Google search of that led to an inquiry about a young feller wondering how old was too old to still be "riding bitch" which inspired the barb at Mr. Paint All Over University Olds' building.

Paint: still riding bitch
Other: [you know the story here]
Paint: oh you funny
Other: yeah, you funny too, but LOOKS aren't everything!

har har har

Last edited by Octania; March 1st, 2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:03 PM

I'm 34 years old, have a bachelors degree, and have been out of school for about 11-12 years.

As a warehouse manager, and consider myself to be "light blue collar." I spend equal amounts of time on the shop floor, as in my office. I catch myself going back and re-typing emails more and more often at work, because the way it rolls off my finger tips just isn't correct. I bet if I had a strict office job, my communication at work would be sharper. This was not an issue 5-10 years ago when I was more freshly out of school.

It's like any other skill, if you don't use it often or intentionally practice, you'll get rusty.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:24 PM

You know, sometimes i type "gonna", I know thats not correct but it gets my point across and its faster to type. Ill shorten phrases and words "coz" I feel most of you are intelligent enough to understand my meaning. Im certainly no literary genius,,, I did horrible in school. I failed 2 grades, not because im dumb, but because I hated school. I just didnt care. Now that im older, yes I wish I had paid more attention and done better. I had my career handed to me, but those storys will take up too much space. I really wish I had been a doctor, Ive been in medical for 40 years now. Im a registered cardiac and vascular sonographer, and its a pretty cushy job. Im not getting rich but its very comfortable. I worked in surgery for 18 years, 16 strictly in heart, vascular, and thoracic surgery. I have held more peoples hearts in my hands than you could imagine, and and didnt get paid a hill of beans for it. Ultrasound pays 2.5 times what that did.
Anyway sorry about that run, I have read many post here that the sentences all run together, poor punctuation. But i usually get the meaning. Some words i see almost everyday completely spelled wrong, but i can usually figure it out. Ill punctuate when I feel the need, but may not always, and it may not always be correct punctuation. But I do feel i get my point across.

Last edited by steverw; November 3rd, 2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: more
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:58 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Some of us don't have high communication skills, or a complete grasp of the English language, no reason to put them down.
Likewise, some of us don't have a complete grasp of computer skills, so we shouldn't put them down because they don't know how to use the search facility effectively.
Still more don't have great skills at diagnosing and fixing their Oldsmobiles.

Let those with a complete grasp of English, total computer skill, and know all there is to know about Oldsmobiles cast stones now.......

Roger.
Old November 29th, 2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
And yet, your posts are always clear and easy to understand, so you must be doing something right. - Eric
I concur, much better than many; I would have never known.

Some are really horrible at this, and when you introduce a language barrier grammar and sentence structure really go out the window.

I did not graduate when I should have; the main reason was English. Five years later I had to go back and finish, and needed five English credits! I clicked with a teacher, to my surprise acquired a fondness for it, and scored a 4.0.

I also had trouble ditching the Oxford comma.

Has anyone ever read Moby Dick?
Old November 29th, 2014, 06:43 AM

I consider myself smart enough to read between the commas. Which is not much different than reading between the lines.
This is an Oldsmobile message board not rocket science, pun intended.

Last edited by Nilsson; November 29th, 2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old November 29th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Which witch do you winch into your trailer with your wench? They're going there with their ignorance.

I heard like a year ago that Webster changed the meaning of the word 'literally'.

Literally literally does not mean literally any more.
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:24 AM

"The shoe that fits one foot, pinches another" Carl Jung
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:46 AM

The comma can be an important part of the healing process. Think of it as a way for the body to take a "time-out" to allow for full concentration on repairing itself. In fact, it is not unusual for a hospital to induce a comma for the very same reason, and a comma is not necessarily always a bad thing.
Old November 29th, 2014, 01:10 PM

Communication Theorems

1. 50% of the problems in the world result from people using the same words with different meanings.

2. The other 50% of the problems in the world result from people using different words with the same meaning.

3. There are a significant number of problems in the world caused by people using words with no idea what they mean.
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by 67KS442ORIG
Communication Theorems

1. 50% of the problems in the world result from people using the same words with different meanings.

2. The other 50% of the problems in the world result from people using different words with the same meaning.

3. There are a significant number of problems in the world caused by people using words with no idea what they mean.

Eschew obfuscation
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 67KS442ORIG
Communication Theorems

Or...

50% of the world's problems are caused by communication that is unclear, and

50% of the world's problems are cause by communication that is too clear.

(With apologies to Douglas Adams)

- Eric
Old December 1st, 2014, 12:15 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Eric, go stick a fish in your ear!.

Roger.
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"... and, by effectively removing all barriers to communication, it was responsible for more, and bloodier, wars than ever before."

- Doug (RIP)
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:17 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by MDchanic
"... and, by effectively removing all barriers to communication, it was responsible for more, and bloodier, wars than ever before."

- Doug (RIP)
We are doomed!, the internet is the new Babel Fish.

Roger.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM

I have much more concern about someone being a judgmental, contemptuous person than someone having difficulties reading or writing or typing.
Old December 20th, 2014, 03:46 PM

I have what I consider to be a reasonable amount of tolerance for less than flawless grammar and/or punctuation,
but, some of the posts I've seen on this site and others, border on illiteracy.
Total lack of correct punctuation, capitalization, spelling, spacing, etc, makes some posts nearly impossible to interpret.

Some of this is due to being given undeserved passing grades in English classes.
In many cases it's just plain laziness, but, how can you blame the "Average Joe" when so-called news and sports journalists,
people supposedly educated in communication, don't know the difference between
something as basic as objective vs. subjective, i.e. when to properly use "I" vs. "me".

Also, proof-reading is your friend and the friend of those trying to read your posts!
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Eschew obfuscation
Bless you!
Old December 20th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
bless you!:d
lol

Last edited by 67442nut; December 20th, 2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old December 20th, 2014, 06:59 PM

when so-called news and sports journalists, people supposedly educated in communication, don't know the difference between something as basic as objective vs. subjective, i.e. when to properly use "I" vs. "me".
==========
I have noticed that. It appears that "NEVER SAY YOU AND ME" was drummed into kids, or they slept thru the part where it's OK to use "you and me".

I believe it goes like this:
Wrong - "You and me should go to the store"
Correct - "At the store, they have many nice things for you and me"

One of the ear-graters I have noticed lately is that educated folks in the radio and TV business can't pernounce [sic] words with "pro" in them. They PERvide us information. True PERfessionals.

I wonder if ol' Nick is "still ridin bitch" ?
Old December 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
I wonder if ol' Nick is "still ridin bitch" ?
Awwwww... He's probably got his license by now...

... And maybe his Ol' Man has even taken off the training wheels.

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM

I see more than one mistake in your post.

Originally Posted by 67442nut
I have what I consider to be a reasonable amount of tolerance for less than flawless grammar and/or punctuation,
but, some of the posts I've seen on this site and others, border on illiteracy.
Total lack of correct punctuation, capitalization, spelling, spacing, etc, makes some posts nearly impossible to interpret.

Some of this is due to being given undeserved passing grades in English classes.
In many cases it's just plain laziness, but, how can you blame the "Average Joe" when so-called news and sports journalists,
people supposedly educated in communication, don't know the difference between
something as basic as objective vs. subjective, i.e. when to properly use "I" vs. "me".

Also, proof-reading is your friend and the friend of those trying to read your posts!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 09:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, wear, wood, wee, bee, thowt, the, komma? Cmon, now. Most - everone, I, nose, is, prty, much, eezee ta, unnerstand givertake abit. Yew, jest, gotta, reed, tween, de, misteaks, wit, sum, degree, uv, kompashun?

Ware wood life go witout sum amount uv challenje to yor reedin an ritin skills?

This site is what it is. None of the respondents to the OP's topic seem to have any difficulty with their prose.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 09:54 AM

There once was an "artist" named Nick
He painted the town- what a dick
for lack of a comma
his comment made drama
And now we shall end this right quick.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:17 AM
Kjr442

You might as well have been writing this about me.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Octania
There once was an "artist" named Nick
He painted the town- what a dick
for lack of a comma
his comment made drama
And now we shall end this right quick.
Point (or is it period?) taken.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
morgan

school's out, screw the comma