The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I'm a LOSER!!

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:51 AM
car guy

I'm a LOSER!!

We started a biggest loser contest last month and I have been needing to loose a few lbs. so I joined in. This gave me an excuse to loose a few and win some money.

Today was the final weigh in. I won first place. 186.2 from 216.6 in 45 days. Its was based on percentage so a smaller guy like me could compete with the 300plus guys. Not only did I win by percentage but only one guy lost more pounds than me and it was only 3 more. He started at 290. I went right to Grandy's for a hot cinnimon roll after weigh in. It was gooooood!!
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:08 AM

Congrats to you - that's the right kind of looser! Maybe you can make your way between my workbench and the car now!
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:19 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Congrats to you - that's the right kind of looser! Maybe you can make your way between my workbench and the car now!
hahaha
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:19 AM

Congrats Richard.

I'm 49 and 2 1/2 years ago I was 245 & decided I wanted to live to see my 1 and 7 year old at least get out of high school. I started walking 3 miles a day and dropped 25 lbs in 3 months. Then I got bored with walking so I run 3 miles a day. I only lost another 5 lbs but I eat whatever the hell I want now.
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Congrats to both of you Richard and Mike. I'm in the same boat. Thicker is only better if you're talking about your wallet's cash count....Totally agree with your philosophy Mike. I want to live long enough to see my son get married and enjoy some grand kids!

I didn't join any club or rewards program to lose weight. My body (cardio and breathing) were telling me to push away from the trough and do something useful for my health. I'm a big guy - not sloppy fat - fairly solid but just big. Well ok, there's some whale stuff that could definitely be lost without any hard feelings. So I just started walking (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) a day in addition to regular stuff around the house. Eating smaller portions with plenty of fruit, veggies and water to drink. In the last 2 weeks I've dropped 8 pounds. My goal is to lose 30 this year.

We should start a health thread on this and see how many are takers..

Again, congrats! I know how hard this is to do.
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM

Hey Richard, what did you do to lose it? Since chemotherapy and radiation I have gained about 20 lbs and I can't seem to shake it. Of course, I'm not trying very hard...those damn Whataburgers and Rudy's barbeque don't help LOL!
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:49 AM

Congrats Richard
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM

I'm young enough that I need to GAIN weight. 5"11 and 155 lbs. Need to spend more time working out and less time turning wrenches!

EDIT: There's your incentive.

Last edited by Seff; August 31st, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:26 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by gearheads78
We started a biggest looser contest last month and I have been needing to loose a few lbs. so I joined in. This gave me an excuse to loose a few and win some money.

Today was the final weigh in. I won first place. 186.2 from 216.6 in 45 days. Its was based on percentage so a smaller guy like me could compete with the 300plus guys. Not only did I win by percentage but only one guy lost more pounds than me and it was only 3 more. He started at 290. I went right to Grandy's for a hot cinnimon roll after weigh in. It was gooooood!!
Some of us are loosers for different reasons I seem to have the opposite problem .,... I can't gain weight . ( not trying to rub it in either )
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Seff
I'm young enough that I need to GAIN weight. 5"11 and 155 lbs. Need to spend more time working out and less time turning wrenches!

EDIT: There's your incentive.
Watch out. I was 6'1" and 145 lbs in High School......Well at least I'm almost 6'-1" still
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM

Great job guys. I'm kind of a health nut so I like hearing success stories. I'm 38 and in the same boat as Seff and Oldsguybry, still trying to pack it on.
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:52 PM
car guy

Before I was married I worked out all the time and was in great shape at 185 lbs. I'm 39 now and have been watching my weight slowly go up and my pants size go up. I even started buying expandable waist pants and telling myself I was still a 36" even though they were starting to feel tight all the way stretched out. I had been floating around 215 at 5' 11" and even 218 one time I weighed.

I am away from home work 13+ hours a day between work and commute , With infant twins and a 6yo. Gym time is just not going to happen. I have been telling myself I need to do something for the last year but never found the inspiration.

July 12' it was announced we were having a biggest looser contest at work with a weigh in July 15. $50.00 buy in winner take 75% 2nd place take 25% all the last day of August. I said what the heck. July 14 I went to the steak house and had my last meal of my old life. 12 of us signed up and we were off.

I did not smoke or drink but I used to eat 3 large meals a day with dessert at least twice a day mixed in with 2-4 Dr Peppers. I walked a lot work probably 3-4miles a day walking back and forth in the shop but no other physical activity.

I will admit my first 2 weeks were hell and took lots of willpower. My average day would be french toast sticks and a breakfast sandwich, Bacon Cheese Burger for lunch and a giant plate of spaggetti for dinner. I now have yogart with banana and granola, grilled chicken garden salad and a reasonable dinner. Changed DP to Unsweet tea and apple pie to an apple with peanut butter.

I also started running every other night after the babies are in bed. I live on an 1/8 mile street. The first night it almost killed me to jog to the end and mix running and walking 4 laps to the end and back. After only a month I was running the first 3 trips there and back and have upped the laps to 6. My knees started to hurt a little so I bought an eliptical (spider story)

I started this all hoping to win the money and maybe loose a few lbs. Now I don't even care. I feel better, my stretched 36" pants have to be tightened 3 belt loops to stay up and strangest thing is I already don't really miss all my favorite old foods.
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM

Awesome story! Great job! I think I need to start on my own adventure soon...

I'm 6'2" and started bulking like those other guys above. I got UP to 230 lbs mostly muscle. I was lifting heavy and feeling great. Then I had to do chemo and lost 25 lbs, mostly muscle...

Sadly the weight has come back, but it's not lean like it used to be. It's hard to stay motivated when you know what you once looked like, and because the reason you don't is because of cancer and the drugs they put you on. I'll get back there...just gotta get motivated.

Thanks for the story Richard!
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:39 PM
NOVICE car nut

Yea I left one important detail out . I don't eat much anymore , because I have no money . The heaviest I ever was was 160lbs , and I'm 5'9"
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM

Congratulations, very cool. I never had a weight problem before, but about 8 years ago I caught myself up at 237 from the 190s. Snacks and big meals were the culprit. I did the diet thing, and also started riding the bike. Got back down to 193. I've been right around 200 since. (I'm 6'2") You don't have to kill yourself to lose weight and keep it off, you don't even have to stick to a strict workout routine forever if you don't want to, but you do have to eat according to how much activity you do. When I went to my 20 year reunion, I was the slimmest guy there, everybody was making comments. It felt pretty good.
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:47 PM

I'm confused, lol. The greatest looser would be best at disassembly, and the greatest tightener for re-assembly, right? Or, do you mean loser, as in one who loses something, If so, you are doing great!
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:23 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I'm confused, lol. The greatest looser would be best at disassembly, and the greatest tightener for re-assembly, right? Or, do you mean loser, as in one who loses something, If so, you are doing great!

HAHA I am a loser at spellin'

I fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:33 PM
Registered Luser

Good work Richard! Nothing wrong with losing weight and getting paid for it! Now the challenge is to keep it off. ah64pilot, enjoy life while it's here, and Im sure you do, as long as you are now healthy and beat the "big c", hopefully, don't sweat a few extra pounds! Funny thing seeing this thread, as 5 mins ago, I just got done telling my wife I lost 5 lbs in the last 3 days! I'm 42, on blood pressure meds, and my doc says to drop 10 lbs, so I gained another 5 to make it 15.... 5'10, 180lbs....now 175...ding ding!