The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Home Improvement Question

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:03 PM

Smile Home Improvement Question

I am attaching a picture of one wall in my laundry room. There is a rat's nest of coax cable hanging loose. Next to it is a telephone wire termination block up high, and an alarm termination block down low.

What do I need to do to pretty this up? (Hopefully it helps keep me from smacking the old noggin on that damn cable as well.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Coax Wall.jpg (22.8 KB, 41 views)
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM

I am a carpenter but no expert on coax cable , but unless you are in direct communication with the pentagon or something I would shove all that crap in the nice little hole in the wall , patch it up and be done with it.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Cutlass Lover

LOL!!! Now that answer made me laugh, John!! I don't think it was the one he's looking for, though.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM

It is all working? Looks like some loose ends toward the ceiling and it looks like this should have been pulled in to the attic.
I would go with the idea of cutting the sheet rock and putting it behind the wall. Tape, Bed, and paint and you will forget it is even there.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM

Smile

It isn't all connected. It is the 40 odd or so ends for the coax runs scattered throughout my house, usually 2 or 3 per room. I don't want to bury it in case I want to hook up other ports. The cable guy said to only connect 4 or 5 max at a time to avoid signal drop out.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
GM Enthusiast

You might be able to get some kind of metal plate, maybe even an electrical circuit braker box and mount it on the wall, effectively covering it up. This way you will always have access to it.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

I'm a carpenter too, and I'm no expert at anything.
That stuff usually has to be accessible, plus soon as you bury it in a wall you'll need to get to it for sure.
I would measure the height to the ceiling and width to cover that then go get a cabinet. Cut a hole in the back for the alarm deal and a smaller one to pull those cables through then shove the cable through the hole and screw it up on the wall and and instant cable and alarm access cabinet. As wide as the wall or a little in from the outside corner would look best, a standard 12 inch is about as deep as you would want up that high.
Keep it above the door or the door will be really hard to open.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:57 AM

A hedge trimmer will clear that up in a hurry!

Seriously, shove it all in the wall in an access panel. If some is for your alarm system, it should be a lockable panel.
Also if some of those are unused TV connectors, termination resistors added to them might improve your reception (if you have any issues already.)
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Bluevista has the right idea. You never know when you will need access to the cables. You can connect all of the cables without loss on signal strength by using a cable amplifier.