The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Happy Thanksgiving Folks!

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2012, 08:25 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Folks!

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is NOT about the turkey, it’s not about the trimmings, the stuffing, the pie or any part of the food or drink, it isn’t about sales, or football.

Thanksgiving is about Family, those that are present, those that may be serving overseas, living far a way or whatever and can not be with you, but still held in our hearts, Even those who have passed away, but you cherish the memory of the time spent together, the love that is still shared, and the forgiveness of all their misdeeds, and the retelling of all their funny and great and perhaps not so great deeds.

Just once, I would like NOT to hear about Black Friday, I prefer to listen to about Thankful Thursday!! Not about the damn food, but how your family has overcome something or your support has let them capture their dreams, how despite adversity you have succeeded or in failure learned to endure.
I am not a get up on your soapbox kind of person, but as I get older and hopefully wiser (I mean I have been 25 yrs old twice now LOL) I thought this year I just want to express myself, not make a stupid joke, or a political statement, just a shout out to My Family, My Extended Family and My Friends (You Folks) who I also consider family!
Thank You!!
Thank you for your support, your friendship, your love, your kindnesses, your wake up calls, for letting me into your lives, for saying or doing something that you may not even remember you did or said! But gave me pause for thought, a nudge in the right direction, made me hopefully a better person. Every single one of you is important to me, and I am very thankful for all of you. Every single one of you has touched my life in some way, obviously some more than others, but each in a unique way, and that has made me the person I am today.

I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving, ( and for my Canadian Friends a belated happy Thanksgiving) I wish much joy and merriment to be shared by you and yours, I wish all, who for whatever reason can not share your tables that they are still held in your hearts and remembered, I wish you all the bounty that the world has to offer, food for your hearts, your souls and your sustenance.
God Bless you all!!

I will leave you with a favourite quote of mine……………
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” -Albert Schweitzer
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM

Well said Eddie! May you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Craig
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:46 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving. Looks like 18 at my house this year.

Larry
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks Eddie,

Your post has brightened my day for sure. All of what you have stated should be apart of our every day lives. In this way you can wake up with a smile everyday.

Pat
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 442craig
Well said Eddie! May you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Craig
X2 ..... EVERYONE have a great holiday , and above all .... BE SAFE !
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Extremely well put Eddie. Thank you for doing such a nice job. We all do have a lot to be thankful for. I always remember our Thanksgiving in 1986. My dad was here visiting. It was very cold and I kept a fire going all day. I remember him so well sitting there by the fireplace in his sweater vest and talking about how good everything was. He really enjoyed it. He passed away the following January. It still hurts some but it is a great memory I am thankful for.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:06 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is NOT about the turkey, it’s not about the trimmings, the stuffing, the pie or any part of the food or drink, it isn’t about sales, or football.

Thanksgiving is about Family, those that are present, those that may be serving overseas, living far a way or whatever and can not be with you, but still held in our hearts, Even those who have passed away, but you cherish the memory of the time spent together, the love that is still shared, and the forgiveness of all their misdeeds, and the retelling of all their funny and great and perhaps not so great deeds.

Just once, I would like NOT to hear about Black Friday, I prefer to listen to about Thankful Thursday!! Not about the damn food, but how your family has overcome something or your support has let them capture their dreams, how despite adversity you have succeeded or in failure learned to endure.
I am not a get up on your soapbox kind of person, but as I get older and hopefully wiser (I mean I have been 25 yrs old twice now LOL) I thought this year I just want to express myself, not make a stupid joke, or a political statement, just a shout out to My Family, My Extended Family and My Friends (You Folks) who I also consider family!
Thank You!!
Thank you for your support, your friendship, your love, your kindnesses, your wake up calls, for letting me into your lives, for saying or doing something that you may not even remember you did or said! But gave me pause for thought, a nudge in the right direction, made me hopefully a better person. Every single one of you is important to me, and I am very thankful for all of you. Every single one of you has touched my life in some way, obviously some more than others, but each in a unique way, and that has made me the person I am today.

I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving, ( and for my Canadian Friends a belated happy Thanksgiving) I wish much joy and merriment to be shared by you and yours, I wish all, who for whatever reason can not share your tables that they are still held in your hearts and remembered, I wish you all the bounty that the world has to offer, food for your hearts, your souls and your sustenance.
God Bless you all!!

I will leave you with a favourite quote of mine……………
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” -Albert Schweitzer

X2

I would like to pay extra thanks to my wife who has let me get alittle carried away with my project !!!!
And my great kids for all the hard work and knowing just how to help !!!
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
11.52 @116

Very nicely put.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:23 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1, Eddie, very well said.

May we all have a chance to look around and be truly thankful for all of our (and our families') good fortune.
We all get PO'd, exasperated, burned out, etc., sometimes, and miss the forest by staring at just one tree.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:59 PM

Eddie, what you said is perfect to me, and the feelings it brought out of myself and all other respondents is exactly what "'it's" supposed to be really about, not DOOR BUSTER savings....Best Wishes to one and all. I am thankful to have met some great people here. Brett
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:37 AM

So well put, Eddie, my sentiments, exactly. Thanks for expressing them in such an eloquent way...............for us all. May each of you and your Families have the best of Thanksgiving, and be grateful for all that we are so blessed to have in our Great Country. God Bless.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:35 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Extremely well put Eddie. Thank you for doing such a nice job. We all do have a lot to be thankful for. I always remember our Thanksgiving in 1986. My dad was here visiting. It was very cold and I kept a fire going all day. I remember him so well sitting there by the fireplace in his sweater vest and talking about how good everything was. He really enjoyed it. He passed away the following January. It still hurts some but it is a great memory I am thankful for.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU.
Yea unfortuantely , I watched my dad die the day after thanksgiving in 2000 .... It's a memory I'LL NEVER FORGET !
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
... I watched my dad die the day after thanksgiving in 2000...
I'm sorry, Bry. You'd be surprised, though, that a lot of people seem to pass away on the holidays - The grandfather of my high school girlfriend died at the table on Thanksgiving Day, and my father in law died seven years ago on Thanksgiving Day in the ICU, after my wife told them to stop the life support.

We may have some bad memories of the day (certainly a few interesting family fights ), but they're outnumbered by all of the great ones, of friends and relatives both here and gone, and those who've passed away are all still with us at the table as we remember them, and as we have celebrations that we and our children will also remember in future years.

I hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving.

- Eric
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I'm sorry, Bry. You'd be surprised, though, that a lot of people seem to pass away on the holidays - The grandfather of my high school girlfriend died at the table on Thanksgiving Day, and my father in law died seven years ago on Thanksgiving Day in the ICU, after my wife told them to stop the life support.

We may have some bad memories of the day (certainly a few interesting family fights ), but they're outnumbered by all of the great ones, of friends and relatives both here and gone, and those who've passed away are all still with us at the table as we remember them, and as we have celebrations that we and our children will also remember in future years.

I hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving.

- Eric
Thanks Eric , I definetely wont forget all the good memories , because they outweigh the bad ones for sure ! .... You and your family have a great holiday !
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy Gobble Gobble Day!

Ditto, Eddie. Hope everybody has a great day... including our Canadian and "Down Under" bretheren
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Seeing how we already celebrated Thanksgiving (too close to Halloween BTW) here in Canada, may I offer my best wishes for your upcoming celebration; whichever way you intend to celebrate it. Eddie, it's partly a celebration of sharing food - dating back to the earliest tradition, but also a sharing of friendships. I say a prayer of gratitude and thanks to the people in the armed forces whose efforts preserve these freedoms we enjoy and sometimes take for granted.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yes very well said Eddie

Happy Thanksgiving All

Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM

Yes, and for those outside the States I hope you see the intent of what Eddie saying. Life goes by so fast that now and then we need to stop and consider the really important things in life.

Thanks Eddie!

John
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
NOVICE car nut

Our feast was great ! The turkey was very moist , the green bean casserole was great , the stuffing was great ( I wish I could convince my wife to cut the liver up in it though ) the deviled eggs were the best , the mashed potatoes were great ( with some lumps , which is the best ) the pie was great ( apple , and pecan pie ) etc .... etc ... I hope you all had it as great as we did !
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
... I hope you all had it as great as we did !
We had a fantastic meal. The turkey was unusually excellent (probably because we couldn't find the meat thermometer, so we just took it out when it looked right ). My wife always insists on making an obscene amount more than we can possibly eat, and it was all great, so I won't need to eat until Spring, I think.

Only problem is, my pants seem to have shrunk .

- Eric