The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The good and the bad

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2015, 08:29 PM

The good and the bad

The good, yesterday evening the Mistress took me to a local charity car show and she received the best of show award. It was a small show only three awards were given but it looks the the same on the wall.

The bad, the Rochester started to leak like a little puppy on the way home and I'm in need of a rebuild and it's only three working days till we are leaving for Canada for the mother of all road trips. To make things worse there are no rebuild kits in Chico. I've located one in another town( at least it shows on their computed) so with any luck I have the Mistress back on the road and ready for some top down Canadian cruising.

Taking I- 5 The plan is to hustle through California and Oregon, bypass Seattle the best we can and slip over the border at Blaine. Then wander through British Columbia for a couple days and end up at Quesnel BC. for a car show and a visit with high school friends of my wife. Then drift back home some other back road way.

The total miles should be around 3,000 if something doesn't happen to shorten the trip. With luck I post pictures if I can get WYFI at out motels. Hopefully the trip is on.....Tedd
Old August 15th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Hope it all works out.
Old August 15th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

Just be sure the kit you get is ethanol proof. If it has been on the shelf a long time, it may not be. The thing you have to worry about is the plunger. I know that Fusick's kits are ethanol proof. Good luck on your trip. I believe you enjoy your car more than most anybody on here. Until I have my transmission gone through (that will be this winter), I would not think of doing a trip like that. Good luck on the trip and I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old August 15th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Be prepared for a shock at the pumps. Gas up here you need a second mortgage for. No good reason for it either other than the big oil companies and gubment love raking us over the coals. Hope you get the rebuild done on time and the trip goes well.

Cali avg $3.60
BC avg $4.87

BTW, in Canada Shell is a better formulation for less chance of ethanol, but no guarantees.
Old August 15th, 2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Tedd:

Just be sure the kit you get is ethanol proof. If it has been on the shelf a long time, it may not be. The thing you have to worry about is the plunger. I know that Fusick's kits are ethanol proof. Good luck on your trip. I believe you enjoy your car more than most anybody on here. Until I have my transmission gone through (that will be this winter), I would not think of doing a trip like that. Good luck on the trip and I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Right now I'll take any kit and plan on another rebuild later on. I know the older kits with the leather parts sometime will work better than the first non ethanol types but those kits are now getting very long of tooth and brittle.

Fusick was my first choice but they don't ship over night and it was to late yesterday for them ship that day so it would not have left till Monday on snail mail so I went hunting locally, I'll know what I have today as far as parts.... Tedd
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Good Luck in getting it going Tedd. I hope your trip goes smoothly.

John
Old August 17th, 2015, 04:34 PM

Car is back together with a newish carburetor kit. I will pick it up tomorrow and give it a short test trip then load it up for the trip on Wednesday, leaving at 4 am.

Surprise Surprise. Nothing but drama. The kits in Oroville, though they show on their computer, weren't on the shelf but we did find one in Stocton and got it here in time.Had Steve Larson do the rebuild just to make sure I didn't screw it up with no time to make it right Trip is on.... Tedd
Old August 17th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear, woohoo road trip, pictures...
Old August 17th, 2015, 05:30 PM
MOTORHEAD

and order your next carb kit
anon

keep your head up
powders dry
be safe
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:16 PM

No powder on this trip, I'm going naked and afraid.

General question, what is the best way to change US dollars to Canadian and visa versa.At the border, at a bank in the US or one in Canada.

Thanks Tedd
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Tedd,

Recommend you source spare carb for the vehicle, test it, and put on shelf.

Also recommend bringing along a baseball, a glove, and a kid's sized Thumper aluminum bat. The bat is for protection, the rest is camouflage. Or some sort of disguisable weapon.
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
General question, what is the best way to change US dollars to Canadian and visa versa.At the border, at a bank in the US or one in Canada.
Doesn't really make much difference.

Originally Posted by Koda
Also recommend bringing along a....Thumper aluminum bat. The bat is for protection.
Not necessary in Canada. BTW if you try to disguise or bring a weapon across the border, CBSA can not only confiscate it but also deny you access to Canada. Just come up and bring nothing but the $$$ and a camera. We're not that hard to get along with up here.
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Forget the baseball bat and gloves , bring a hockey stick , puck and lacrosse stick! I'd suggest getting your Canadian money at the border ,probably quicker than finding a bank.
Old August 17th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

I have done a part of your trip...Oregon and North. Planted trees in Quensel...years ago. I blew all the money I made in Van. Have a good trip Tedd, the province is beautiful. Yup, no need for weapons , as Allan said.
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Tedd,

Recommend you source spare carb for the vehicle, test it, and put on shelf.

Also recommend bringing along a baseball, a glove, and a kid's sized Thumper aluminum bat. The bat is for protection, the rest is camouflage. Or some sort of disguisable weapon.
I have quite a inventory of spare parts already but did not have a extra carburetor, it's on the to get list. I thought of putting in a extra starter and fuel pump but I have limited space. We will need all the room we can find just to store the car show crap we are taking..

It's going to be nice to go to a car show and never have seen any car on the field.... twenty hours till lift off ....Tedd