The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

FISHING, my other interest.

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2020 | 09:48 PM

FISHING, my other interest.

Hey folks,
We all love our Oldsmobiles (and other cars) but in most cases we all seem to have other interest, for me its woodworking, guns and hunting although my hunting days are over, it was just pheasant and rabbit hunting, many fond memories but behind me now ,when it cools down in PHX I will resume woodworking projects for my Grandchildren and daughters. I will be leaving on my annual fishing trip to the Chippewa Flowage in northern Wisconsin about mid September. generally we fish for Muskie and Walleye,
I used to have more fun fishing for Musky but with some nagging back problems throwing big Musky baits all day and the jerking retrieval techniques don't have the appeal they used to, I would rather live bait (leaches and minnows) fish for Smallmouth and Walleye now.
I have been going on these fishing trips with my brother-in-laws for about 30 years now, always look forward to them, great fun, we have as much fun eating and drinking as we do fishing.
So with the fishing trip just around the corner I thought I'd post a few pics. Musky fishing is crazy you can go a long time and never catch one, They are the top predator in the northern lakes and catching one is a thrill ! if you boat a big one it's a achievement because a lot of them never make it in to the boat. so here are a few pics , I'm the fat guy in the yellow shirt, dark glasses and white hat, also on again off again gray beard, the other fellas are the brother-in-laws and nephews. I have a lot of them my wife is one of 8 children

Last edited by solly; August 6th, 2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old August 6th, 2020 | 03:09 AM

Looks like a good way to spend time making memories.

Enjoy

Keith
Old August 6th, 2020 | 05:10 AM

Back in the day, I fished two bass tournaments a month. Chased sand bass, stripers, hybrid stripers & crappie...during the spring spawn. Often taking customers fishing during the week. We are minutes from launching on our local lake...Ray Hubbard...and have a launch in our lake house community (on Lake Texoma) so, getting on the water never took / takes a lot of effort.

Then when Dove season rolled around I got out of the fishing busienss chased those suckers around. Up untill about 5 years ago we had 40 acres in East Texas. Every spring, I would plant 5 acres of sunflowers and would "harvest" them about a week out from opening day. Those Black Oil Sunflowers made eyes about 2" in diameter and pre-harvest, the dove would sit on the flower and peck the seeds out.

I haven't deer hunted since 1978. Downed a button buck, knee deep in snow on the side of a mountian in West, by god, Virginia. Dragging that little SOB damned near 2-miles put an end to it for me. I decided I wasn't that damned mad at them.

All those activiies made a LOT of memories with family and friends. Sadly, I have buried a hell of a lot, of both, over the last few years....and a medical condition keeps me from prolonged exposure to the sun. But, there are times when I cheat it anyway...to a small degree.

Sooooo....I jumped into my first muscle / classic car in 2013. I learned pretty quick that I had forgot more than I ever knew.

Old August 6th, 2020 | 07:51 AM

I was kinda in the business and put a lot of my gun shop money into hunting and fishing trips all over the western US, Canada with quite a few to Alaska. I hunted Caribou in a brown bear reserve, fished for salmon and halibut and tried for grayling but couldn't get a spinner more than 4 feet before a salmon had it. I've hunted most everything that walked ran or just sat from birds, varmints to elk.I do little now days as some of my hobbies have taken their tole on my extremities (5 replaced joints and getting ready for the 6th) but it was fun while it lasted. I can't remember the last time I popped a cap at a critter. I now play with my memories, cars and grand kids oh and great grand kids. Do it while your young you will be old sooner than you think.... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old August 6th, 2020 | 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Do it while your young you will be old sooner than you think....
Ain't that the truff...

Old August 6th, 2020 | 08:24 AM

Well I also mentioned we have as much fun eating and drinking as we do fishing, this is a NWA (no woman allowed) event so no one is looking over our shoulders reminding us of cholesterol count or how many beers we have etc... I admit left unsupervised we revert to our young single days and become a little sophomoric but what the hell its only
5 days a year.
every year we have a tradition it's called the giant breakfast burrito challenge these are huge egg, sausage, onion, green pepper and cheese burritos, the challenge is to eat the whole burrito with in 1/2 hour ( we extended the time as we got older) and it has to be washed down with at least 1 breakfast beer, the contestants who can't finish have to do the breakfast and dinner dishes.despite me being a fat guy I consistently loose along with my nephew.
As for the steaks they are usually well marbled New York strips with a side of mashed taters and a roll to sop up the juice, other dinners include chicken ,

pork chops, burgers.
The fridge is well stocked with lunch meat, cheese and rye bread for a quick lunch so we can get back on the water,
Old August 6th, 2020 | 09:20 PM

Looks like you are eating a baby in swaddling cloths, Heartburn for a week...... Tedd
Old August 16th, 2020 | 04:34 AM

These were caught in remote ponds in the adirondacks Ted!

Old August 16th, 2020 | 05:50 AM

That's some nice fish. We went out a couple weeks ago but, the fish must have been sequestered at home AND social distancing. Couldn't get on fish at any of our old spots.
Old August 16th, 2020 | 11:55 AM

They say even a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work !! nice fish !!
Old August 17th, 2020 | 07:39 AM

I have a house on Eagle Lake in north eastern California that is considered a trophy lake for a special type of trout and I haven't wet a line in about 4 years, my fault. Seem that all I do is open the cabin up, do maintenance, let the kids use it all summer and close it up for winter. Oh ya I pay property taxes for the fun of it. Have a 7 pounder on the wall to help me remember though....... Tedd